1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here ever written a novel/novella/short story?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MintberryCrunch, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know there must be writers on this site.

How many of you have completed a novel, novella, or short stories? What are they are about? Are you interested in being published? Does what you write ever contain LGBT themes?

Right around the time I joined this site I had just finished the only novel I've ever finished. 75,000 words, so not very long, but longer than the first Harry Potter book :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's the story of a couple of missing teenagers in a small coastal North Carolina town and two kids who try to discover what happened to them.

Like all my stories, there is some subtle homoeroticism in it between two male characters. I find I can't not include stuff like that lol

2. AsheTheHuman

I have completed a short story before, but that didn't have any LGBTQ themes. I'm working on something longer, and that does. I've been busy super busy and stressed out lately so most of my writing time has been going towards poetry. I'd really love to be able to live as a writer one day, including getting some things published.

3. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have written two and a half novels, and a short-story. I also do tandems with a friend of mine, which is always fun! I would love for them to be published.

And pretty much everything I write has at least one queer character! It's uh very hard not to include it. One of the aforementioned novels, the main character has a subtextual (and very obvious) homoerotic relationship with another man. And in the other one, it's very blatant lesbianism.

That's a fabulous accomplishment! And it sounds very interesting, I would love to read it!

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wrote a short story three years ago in 8th grade about a situation I imagined I was in, though I made the story version a bit more dramatic. It was about a girl who met her biological mother for the first time, who gave her up when she was a baby. It basically resulted in the child feeling unwanted, confused, and angry about why her mother would get rid of her while the mother was pleading that her actions were for the best for the child. Her mother makes a compromise and says she'll do anything if the child will love her. Then, the child tells her to leave her alone forever. Then the mother leaves and becomes depressed. I wrote this because of my past and my curiosity for if I ever met my biological mother, which is very unlikely.

I also wrote a poem about my classmate, who died in 8th grade. It wasn't good or anything, it was just to let my feelings get out. Most of my writing is for venting.

5. Gen

Gen

I wrote a historical fiction novella for a writing submission/evaluation last year. I have written short stories in the past, but I wouldn't consider them to have been serious projects. I'm currently writing a novel, which will evolve into a series of novels, but I feel that I talked that project enough on here in the past.

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2014 at 10:50 PM ----------

Oh, and I don't always included LGBTQ topics, but I will in my current project. The second main antagonist is a homosexual male.

6. TurtleCat

Not a regular novel, but I am in the process of drawing a comic/ graphic novel. As far as LGBT themes go, the two main characters are a lesbian couple.

7. Blossom85

I am a bit of a novice writer.. I am writing some fan fiction stories and some of them are same sex couplings. I have a few Destiel (Dean and Cas spn) and also got a story going from Buffy the vampire slayer with Buffy and Faith as a couple.. I just love writing these stories and how I envision these characters being and going down a different path then what was in the shows.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have 2 finished short novels done during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Both have gay characters.

Novel #1 is about a young man's first year at a private college in Washington state. It has at least 2 gay characters.

Novel #2 is a murder mystery, but there are at least 2 gay characters. Nothing is ever stated, but I'm thinking at least one other character is, at the very least, not straight.

I've finished a number of shorter pieces of fiction. Some with gay characters, some without.

Looking to the future... I won't say I'd have gay characters in everything I write. But a part of me does think it's more likely than not that I'd have a main character who is gay man, simply because I feel like I can understand him better.

9. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Lots. Not published or submitted.
    My stories have either had very little overt sexuality or they are, unless historically oriented, settings in which people rightly do not (generally) give a damn what sex people like to sex it up with. Any characters or groups that see it otherwise have some reason for themselves (however stupid or cultural or whatever) or are simply ignorant, bigoted or asshole-ish. Such is life I'm given to understand, no matter what. But then I lean towards Heinlein-ish stlyings of character traits and flaws...

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Although I've only tried marketing short stories, with zero luck.

Although I have had non-fiction published. (And even been paid for it!)

Yes. One theme in 2 different stoiries included a character accepting that he's gay. Ironically, both dated to my Denial Years...

NaNoWriMo Novel #2 really doesn't have any themes, except 2 characters falling in love.

The contest entry last spring had some LGBT isssues, but they were mostly secondary to the main story.

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say I've written novels, but I do write stories. Mostly I like to write supernatural tales or medieval fantasy. Which range from humorous adventures, suspenseful dramas, to dark horror stories... LGBT themes aren't exactly a rare occurrence in my stories... But I never really used them as the main focus, usually more as background information for individual characters to flesh them out.

I used to write comics, I had a few webcomics that saw short runs but I had a hard time keeping up with making them and gave up on that. Most of my writing efforts now go towards game design. (Just amateur stuff, nothing great xP It's more planning for the future...)

12. Chief Beifong

I've had many drafts but I completed 1 novel (which was deleted because of my baby cousin...). I've also made many short stories because my school required it, so in total maybe 5-10 short stories. All short stories and novel but one short story had fantasy components, some in medieval setting others in modern times with certain fantasy/supernatural events. The final one was a thriller mystery which I made for fun.

Many of my drafts were epic fantasy (with a whole different world with maps, names and language), some were thriller mystery, and I made lots of horror drafts to scare off my friend who hates it when I tell her a bit of my horror stories (my imagination does get a bit wild).

But recently i've had a bit of a writer's block, I don't write as smoothly as I did (probably because of school saying stuff like 'You should write like the way in the book and blah blah blah...' drilled in our heads). So i'm reading/watching as much as I can for ideas before I get too busy in the school year.

13. Ryujin

I've written a lot of short stories. Not particularly long short stories, but still short stories. I tend to focus on science fiction/fantasy and rarely include anything romance related so none of them have gay themes. I think I will in my next short story I have to write for and English exam or something.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Poems. Check.
    Short Stories. Check.

I've written many poems, and a few short stories. I also have some larger book projects in the works, one of which is an alternate history, one is an epic fantasy, and the other is a social commentary embedded into a zombie apocalypse. Trust me, I make the zombie genre unique.

15. cuppycake

Yep, I write yaoi/boyxboy. I'd say they're short. My longest one is about 50,000 words and it has around 15k reads. I upload those on online sites. I have a boyxboy love story written in my own language that's still not finished and it's 71,517 words long.

I used to write very short yuri stories, too. But those don't really count because I don't have them anymore. As for publishing my stories, well ... no. I wouldn't publish anything yaoi-based, because I bet my bra (and it's one expensive bra, lemme tell ya) that no one's going to buy/read them. I am currently working on fantasy (heterosexual themed) story, and I might publish that if I ever develop and finish it.

So, yeah ^^

16. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, when I was about 13 I wrote a few medium in length stories and right now I'm in the writing stage of what I'd like to be a full blown novel.

And as coincidential as it may sound I am currently pondering whether to introduce a homosexual relationship between two characters in it but I'm quite apprehensive about it in case it ends up sounding terribly clichéd.

17. RainDreamer

Wrote some. Burn most of them.

To be honest, I don't write about LGBT problem as much as crazy things in my imagination. Though as of more recently, the need for self expression does gravitate me toward that theme.

18. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    is there a way for people to read your stories/novels ?
    i would love to give a look at them :slight_smile:

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a love/hate relationship with writting.

Novels - Been working/suffering for 8 years on "THE" novel, mostly pulishing and rewritting... Not finished of course, and probably never will... Not sure how to describe it... Hitchcock would have sure made a good thing with it...

Then a couple of finished Nanowrimos (short novels?), one was half decent, supernatural horror, the other was funny nonsense with ghosts, circuses and talking potatoes that peel themselves and jump into frying panes.

I've got tons of half finished novels and projects, mostly about science fiction, thrillers or crime.

There is also lots of poetry, for which I've received good feedback (privately, I'm not as deranged as to think I have a chance to get some money from it)

I've tried to quit the vice of writing nonsese a million times. Last time I ended up drawing an awful comic/ graphic novel (It's awful because I'm learning how to draw at the same time I'm drawing it...)

The main focus of my stories is on the character development. From time to time I've got an homosexual or bisexual character, but I don't write about LGTB specific issues like coming out, feeling bad/good about it,etc...

If you need honest criticism about your writting, I'd be glad to help!

20. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    How many of you have completed a novel, novella, or short stories?
    I have written many short stories and 4 novels. Before that I had written poetry for years, even some stage plays and tried a script.
    What are they are about?
    Mainly I like to bring controversial topics and make the characters debate about the consequences because I ultimatelly want to make the reader think for him/herself, but I also like to enterntain, make the reader laugh, surprise the read with plot twists, write dark, write cute stories. A bit of everything.
    Are you interested in being published?
    Yes, I'd like to be published at some point, but I still think I need to improve, that's why I send the texts to writing contests and take myself some writing courses.
    Does what you write ever contain LGBT themes?
    Initially not, but once in a writing course I wrote a story which involved two lesbians, and the whole class liked it. In the future I'd like to focus more on the diversity literature (not only lgbt, also disabilities and ethnicity) because readers need it.