1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the Eurovision Song Contest?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Anonymous777, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

First of all, let me tell you what the Eurovison Song Contest (ESC) is.

The ESC is an annual music competition. Countries which are members of the European Broadcast Union (EBU) can participate in the contest by sending a song.

The ESC started to be broadcasted in 1956. The last winner was Austria. Conchita Wurst won the ESC 2014 with the song Rise like a Phoenix.

Therefore, the ESC 2015 will take place in Vienna (Austria) in May 2015.

I've opened this thread so that we can talk about anything related to the contest.

You can say why you like it or not, which entries are your favourite ones, what you expect for next year, etc.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know I love it! :lol:

I think there have been many good entries. I sometimes disagree completely with the final ranking though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Which were the most underrated songs last year, according to your opinion?

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From this year: Belarus: Cheesecake. Was my number 2. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ukraine: Tick-Tock was also very underrated.

I still listen to Tick-Tock though! :icon_bigg At the moment, I ranked it 3rd, but I like it more than Cheesecake now.

Oh yeah, I rank all songs haha. :lol:

5. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Belarus? Are you kidding me? That song was awful. I ranked it 1st in the list of the worst songs of 2014. :lol:

Tick-Tock was a good song, but I think there were better ones. Anyhow, it deserved to finish in the top 10.

6. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hell yEAH

for the last couple of years i've watched it while on tumblr which makes it 1000x better

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahahaha sorry! :roflmao:

I think Maria Yaremchuk (Tick Tock) is gorgeous too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[youtube]sdAf2EjhRiE[/youtube]

Could that be because I'm 25% Ukranian? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't like it for a couple of reasons: The style of music that is generally performed isn't my scene at all, the contestants take away from the music with visual performances and other related gimmicks like that Conchita Wurst and finally the voting is one massive farce as neighbouring countries always vote for each other no matter how terrible their entry's music is.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the music is refreshing, it takes me to other cultures and places. That's why I love it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I care more about the music and still listen to plenty of songs today. Without the ESC, I wouldn't have known various good artists.

10. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wait... people watch eurovision for the music?! you mean there's people who don't watch it just for the weird performances?!

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I do, I really do. Although I love the drama too hahaha.

12. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

I totally agree with Quem. I care more about the music than about the results. But the voting is exciting too (well, you know that Belarus will give 12 points to Russia and vice versa, for instance).

And I think Conchita Wurst was gorgeous and she made an amazing performance.

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the voting too. Especially this year, Ukraine and Russia... Oh boy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Armenia and Azerbaijan :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. 741852963

I love it too, probably as I was raised in a very Eurovision loving family.

Its funny, its often portrayed as a very gaycentric affair (i.e. a bit like pride, something only gay people "get"), and I can see that with the campness of it all - but in reality it actually has a very universal appeal. I'm not a massive fan of camp culture or pride etc but I do love Eurovision! Over here whole families (be it straight people, gay people, children, aunts, uncles, whatever) get together for parties and place bets on it. As an annual event its probably one of the closest things we have to the Superbowl in America for bringing people together.

Theres always some controversy, some surprise voting, etc and that adds to it for me. One part I do like about it is the usual "intros" each country puts together, as you get a bit of a glimpse of different cities and cultures around Europe. I do think its easy to forget all the diversity and things going on throughout Europe, its easy for us to fall into the habit of only thinking about what is going on in our own country.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are so right about this. I think, because people think it's related to LGBT, they suspect that I'm not straight. I talk too passionately about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. 741852963

I think its one of those automatic presumptions people have without thinking. Like female football fans who presume football is a manly thing...despite them being fans and not viewing themselves as masculine in anyway.

Here we do have the thinking that its a "gay thing", but at the exact same time its very mainstream - all the national papers will have articles about it in the run up and after the contest (many being on the front page) - there is widespread public interest in it. Likewise there will be live-blogs and forum discussions across the internet. I'm fairly sure not all the journalists, bloggers and posters are LGBT...unless there is a massive hidden gay majority out there! :lol:

18. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you.

Hahaha who knows! :roflmao: But I don't think so either. It's cool that the ESC is alive in your country. :icon_bigg

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's rubbish. No one ever votes for us anyway, and those weird Eastern countries just vote for each other. :angry: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you should send a better act. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: