1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New or Old animation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ryujin, Sep 15, 2014.

?

New or old animation?

1. New Animation Styles

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Old Animation Styles

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  3. I've never watched any animations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ryujin

Something that came to me when looking up Disney songs. There's a big difference between old animation styles and modern ones. For a start, a lot of older animations are 2D whereas the majority of modern animation are 3D. I remember when watching Tintin, the new film, and constantly saying to myself, "This animation is amazing". What do you think? Which do you prefer?

2. timo

Old, definitely. Has a more cartoony feeling to it and it looks less ridiculous.

Or I might be getting old myself.

3. Yosia

Cartoons i want old but for disney movies i prefer new. ^^

4. Rainbows~Exist

I prefer their old animation as it feels more 'special' if that makes sense? With the new 3D animation I get the impression that Disney's just looking to make money and are pumping out movies every couple of months...

One exception: Frozen. I love Frozen.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I wish there was an option for 'both' or 'it depends'.

With Western Animation, it depends. Disney films, to me, looked incredible in the 1990s and early 2000s. Those styles just fit them; just like they did, other series of that time.

Take Ren & Stimpy for an example. I could not imagine that show, being done in a newer animation style. But, at the same time, I couldn't imagine a show, like, Total Drama Island being done in a 1990s style either.

With Anime, I like the 1990s style. Nowadays, the characters look too polished, and almost like a doll. However, exceptions do exist, and they tone down that polished look.

6. Ryujin

Only Jedi deal in non-absolutes.

7. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Old Animation styles are much better, in my opinion. That's probably because I'm older than you, goldenarrow.

8. Silas

I miss the 2D hand-drawn animation that they used to do with Disney movies :frowning2: I haven't really gotten accustomed to the new style of animation yet... I think the last Disney film I really enjoyed was Princess and the Frog only because they did it old school.

9. TheStormInside

I prefer 2d animation to 3d in most cases. The older hand drawn or even computer drawn look just feels more sensitive and emotive. I love the older Disney movies like Robin Hood where you can really get a sense of the artists' line and pencil work.

I still enjoy more modern styles, as well, especially some of the stuff Pixar has produced. I think one of the drawbacks of 3D animation is that it's still fairly "new" and I haven't seen significant variation of style. From what I've read Pixar has spent a long time trying to perfect realism in its films (without approaching the uncanny valley) and technology, and now that they've gotten quite good at texture, physics, and such they are starting to go into a more stylized direction, which could be quite interesting.

To note! Don't forget about stop-motion animation. Puppetry is really cool, too, and often has quite a distinctive look. Laika has done some really cool stop motion stuff recently, and there is also Nightmare Before Christmas as a classic example.

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly that's a tough one, I will say I like both, and I certainly prefer hand drawn animation, but these days animation can be hand drawn onto the computer where colors and details can be made more precise. A great example (though admittedly I know a lot of you wont know this one) Is a comparison between the original Hunter X Hunter animation and the rebooted version. (Know to fans as 1999 and 2011) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJwGc_U0eME but as you can see in this comparison video there are some major differences in what could be accomplished with old-school animation, and new animation. (Mind you I'm strictly speaking with anime in mind here.)

On the other hand there is a new style of animation that's become popular among American animators which I absolutely loath. Flash animation. Although it can be done well and I love amateur flash animation. A lot of companies aiming to make quick cheap animations will produce awful flash cartoons that look blocky and disturbing in place of traditional animation. Flash is probably the easiest way to make lazy animation. This also lets them just throw anything together, even the worst most exploitative products they can muster. So I'm not a big fan of corporate use of Flash animation in general.

3D animation I have no particular qualms with though. I think the only place it bothers me is in modern live action films where most of the film you see is just computer images. I prefer puppets and costumes. They often strangely enough look more realistic.

#10 Nekoko, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  11. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, actually it depends.
    For Classic Disney's cartoons I would say the old one, I love The Sword in the Stone and The Jungle Book's stile.
    In the other hand, the Pixar is improving year by year, The Brave and Monsters University are amazing.
    I cannot choose what of them I prefer....the new one I guess...

12. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Old. Like me.

13. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

When 3D animation first came out I thought it was cool but then in the 2000's it became the standard and I really hate it now. I haven't really loved a Disney movie since The Emperor's New Groove. Frozen was cute but it lacked the magic of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, etc. I was excited to see The Princess and the Frog but was disappointed. I don't know what happened but Disney sucks now. I feel like if Walt somehow came back to life, he would be like "What did you do to my company!" Maybe I'm just too much of a fuddy-duddy? I'll stick with the classics and reminisce. I feel privileged to have been a kid of the Disney Renaissance Era (1989-1999) R.I.P. Disney

#13 XenaxGabby, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
  14. 2112

I never really got into cartoons of any kind except Star Wars: The Clone Wars, so I'd have to say I prefer CGI animation. I never cared for all the old Disney stuff.
    A mix of both is best, whatever works for the scene should be used. I don't understand a lot of the CGI hate. People complain about the 'CGI' in the Star Wars prequels when it was in fact mostly real sets, models, costumes, and practical effects. Then those same people praise movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, which used a lot of CGI.

What I will agree with is that cartoony CGI in live action films looks bad, like in The Hobbit. Seriously, CGI orcs?

15. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like animation of all sorts. If I had to choose a favorite it would probably be frame by frame animation. That is what I did in college and it has a special place in my heart. Even if it makes my arm ache just thinking about it ...

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They each have their place. I was never sold on CG animation, but Tangled changed my mind. It can be done.

However, traditional animation has that storybook feel to it that is hardly approached by flashy 3d and rendering.

17. Randomcloud

3D animation is impressive but old, hand-drawn animation is beautiful

18. White Knight

I watch both but artistically I like old style animated movies more. Luckily DC keeps pumping new 2D animated movies alongside their somehow enjoyable 3D animated shows.

19. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Believe me, its not the CGI that bothers me about the prequels... Actually I just plain don't like star wars anymore, to be completely honest...

20. 2112

That post wasn't really directed toward you or anyone in specific. I was talking more in general.