1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT characters in entertainment

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chromedome, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does it disappoint you that most lgbt representation in media features gay/lesbian characters as laughing stocks or comic relief? Most lgbt characters are in comedy shows to me.

2. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In film I have found that LGBT characters tend to be portrayed "interestingly" to say the least. An especially odd thing I always notice is how little (if any at all) affection LGBT characters show each other in mainstream media. Unless it is explicitly an LGBT film/show like Queer as Folk or The L Word, gay characters almost never show much physical affection. Probably due to the fact producers feel it would make heterosexual watchers too uncomfortable. Can't watch a single mainstream movie without the guy and girl getting into the cliche'd make out and implied sex scene, but heaven forbid two guys or girls kiss.

Of course there are a few exceptions, but they tend to be few and far between. And I guess it is to be expected, most of the producers/writers and directors are not LGBT, so it is no surprise they don't do a fantastic job at portraying the LGBT community in a realistic/positive light. As well as the fact the primary demographic of these mainstream media producers are heterosexuals so they cater to their needs/wants before anything else, just the way it is....

Edit: I also recall that The Game Theorists did an interesting piece about how LGBT characters are portrayed in an almost universally negative/stereotypical light in video games:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmJXHJLZ6M&list=UUo_IB5145EVNcf8hw1Kku7w

#2 LibertyValance, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  3. maselalala

Brokeback Mountain. That's all. Awesome movie, gay main characters.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

inb4 Adventure Time.

5. NobodyKnowsHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Marceline x Princess Bubblegum otp

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's because LGBT orientation is still so niche that there's no motivation to add one into a property without a defined purpose.*

More generally, characters who could be for all we know may just never have their sexuality become relevant to the plot. Look at Dumbledore. :wink:

*I'm experimenting with putting a "just because" bi/lesbian character into my novel; it's still up in the air whether I'll mention it or not, but I picture the girl in question to be a little against-the-grain and would like the story to represent how the culture will have moved in the future.

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it bothers me. Sometimes the simple fact that a character happens to be LGBT is supposed to be funny. Seriously, WTF?

8. Blossom85

A good one for me was Willow in Buffy, she wasn't there for comic relief, she was one of the main characters and I think joss handled it well the whole storyline of her falling for Tara. It is a little annoying though when most are for comedic type stuff like will and grace and those types of shows.