1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U2: Overrated? Trite? Done?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HuskyPup, Sep 23, 2014.

?

I find the band U2 to be: (select all that apply; you can pick more than one)

1. Boring

44.8%
  2. Trite

17.2%
  3. Overrated

48.3%
  4. Too commercial

31.0%
  5. A band for old folks

24.1%
  6. Humorless

10.3%
  7. Talented

13.8%
  8. Sexy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Deep

3.4%
  10. Inspiring

3.4%
  11. Other, specify

17.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a number of reasons, I simply can't stand the group U2. I think part of it is the lead singer, Bono's, ego, which makes Jupiter look small. I mean, the guy calls himself 'bono vox', meaning 'beautiful voice'. Well, to me, it's not. Then, I think so much of it's just dull and rehashed sounding, the later and later it gets. I did like the first album Boy, but that was put out back in the 80s...now, I just get tired of seeing him and the band prance about. Yes, there's his social activism and all that, but somehow, he simply seems to be trying too hard.

So, I wonder: Does anyone else have gripes about U2, and think they're really not all that great?

This is a multiple choice poll; you can vote for more than one answer.

2. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that U2 are possibly the most overrated band ever. None of the members of the group are anything special in my opinion and if they were a new band I highly doubt they'd be as highly regarded as they are by the likes of Rolling Stone, Q Magazine and the other parts of the music press that play up to Bono and his chums.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I think you're right. There's other bands that are 'overrated', but have a bigger backlash against them; Nickelback, The Dave Matthews Band, The Grateful Dead, to name a few. But what's annoying is that there seems to be this idea that U2 is a band everyone is supposed to be able to 'like'. And yet, I find them annoying and pompous. Their latest stunt with Apple/itunes also didn't help...

4. Gallatin

To me, they seem overrated. I like a few of their songs ("With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For") but really I've always wondered what the big deal is about them.

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Eh, Nothing special.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

they come on the radio and my finger instinctively jumps to change it so fast i poke a hole through the radio, throughthe entire dashboard interior, and into the motor causing a multiple car pile up

u2 has blood on the hand

7. Yosia

I think theyre bad.

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where's the just don't care button? Cause honestly I have a completely neutral opinion about the band. I learned every old song I liked that I thought were by them were actually by other artists. (shows how misinformed I was as a child :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) All I know is Bono needs to stop clapping, the evil bastard! (seriously though I can't think of a single song by them, besides that terrible itunes commercial "Yeah yeah yeah! Hello, hello!")

#8 Nekoko, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. White Knight

I always thought they are overrated. Yeah they have some good songs (like Discotheque.. ha ha ha) and Larry Mullen Jr. (God that man was hot) but that's all.

Not that special from Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Queen, Roxette, Nirvana or No Doubt... come to think of it all those groups I counted are better than them... at least for my taste.

10. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't really have an opinion on their stuff before they forced their album on my iPod/iPad/iTunes... Now I know I'll never be listening to their stuff or buying their album... Fun stuff.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like a few of their songs, especially their earlier stuff.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first heard them in 1980, they blew me away, it was a sound I had never heard before, and they really did have the requisite punk cred to start that decade on that path.

Their latest album is...how can I say this...unoriginal. It is replete with the same stuff, same riffs, same vocal motifs as they've done many times before.

They have become risk-averse, which is deadly for any artist.

13. AAASAS

Ha, I fucking hate U2, Joshua Tree was an alright album, but I still fucking hate Bono.

He bitched to the Canadian Government about our African Aid, and help fighting HIV. Total douche, Irish citizen, should be minding his own current affairs. How about all the flights he's taken that's spewed toxins into the air for everything on the planet to breath. Don't pick one cause and act like it's the be all end all, especially when you are contributing heavily in a very negative manner towards another issue; the climate.

I'll leave with this,

[youtube]UJXqnYCWW7Y[/youtube]

14. Ryujin

My dad had them on in the car and my opinion is meh leaning on nah

15. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am actually very neutral to them. I've never bought a U2 album before because they weren't really my thing until iTunes gave it for free. I tried listening to their older songs and they're okay. Nothing special, just okay.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like them alright, but voted "Overrated" because there's no reason they should be so famous. Although honestly, I don't think they're doing too well in terms of fans. I've literally never met somebody who thought U2 was the best band ever or even mentioned them as among the best.

And of course Bono thinks he's God's gift to mankind, which doesn't help.

17. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Talented, sure, thought that's neither here nor there for me. I like a few of their songs, yeah. Their pre-Joshua Tree material has some decent stuff. The Edge has some neat textures. But seriously..."The Edge"? Overrated, and most of what I've heard of theirs hasn't been of much interest. A teacher of mine let me borrow Achtung Baby saying it was really good, their best. Bored me to tears.

Bono's Bono, what are you gonna do. #2

#17 Miles16, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  18. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why they're as big as they are to be honest. I never really got into their music at all. I think they are just very well publicized and that's the reason they're as big as they are

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I still like this band , they make great music .:slight_smile:

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, that really sums it up for me. He seems to lack any sense of humility, and his sheer arrogance drowns out the better qualities. Not to mention, he has evaded taxes by considering the band a corporation, based in The Netherlands. So yeah...he complains about the rich getting unequal treatment, but does't even pay his share of taxes to Ireland. He seems increasingly phony, and his activities in Africa raise questions, as does his cozying up to Focus on the Family. He's always had gay/LGBT rights as an afterthought, and I find his born again stance at odds with my most deeply held beliefs.

In short, I don't like him.