1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you like to see more diversity in LGBT literature?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LadyRedRover, Sep 27, 2014.

1. LadyRedRover

So, as an avid reader, homosexual, and writer, I'm somewhat dismayed about the LGBT books I've found. Most of them are either discussing coming out(where 70% of the time, the kid dies) or are about sex. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy smut and I enjoy coming-of-age stories but...

Is that all there is?

I was in a writers group the other day and mentioned that I write high fantasy, most of which have lesbian main characters. Opinions were fairly divided between A)being uncertain how that would work outside of erotica; B) being certain it WAS erotica; or C) thinking it would never be published/finished/etc...

So, my question for you guys is; would you be interested in seeing LGBT characters expand into other genres? Do you believe that sex is required in a book in order to portray homosexuality? What are your thoughts on LGBT books, in general?

2. Ryujin

Well, I Sci-Fi short story I wrote recently had two gay protagonists but didn't make a fuss of it or anything. They're were normal people who happened to have the events of the story happen to them.

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Oh Hell yes. I'd love to read sci-fi, fantasy, or adventure about LGBT characters. They don't have to be erotica.

I'd love to read about an out-and-proud Starship captain, for example. If sex scenes fit the plot, I welcome them. I'm thinking of one of my fave writers, Walter Jon Williams. His novels have good sex scenes that show us something about the characters, but his novels are not remotely erotica.

I would certainly read a high fantasy about a lesbian, if the story was good.

4. Candace

Yes!! Why not? I think that it'd be nice to have different relationships, scenarios, and places, of course :slight_smile:.

5. 101DeadRoses

Well, seeing as I'm currently writing a book with lesbian main characters, with only the mention of sex, and zombies, I'd say that I like the idea of expanding LGBT characters into genres other than erotica. My book is actually quite serious and sad (though I never intended it to be so-it just happened.) The lead's brother does provide some comedy though.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a great part of "normalization" of same-sex and other LGBT relationships will need to be incorporated into our cultural "content". I would be satisfied if I were to see our literature and our movies incorporate a much greater amount of such encounters, to the same extent as they do for heterosexual relationships.

I struggle to say "to the same extent" because we are a minority and I wonder if we should be represented more or less in the same proportion as in real life, but in the end I would nevertheless keep the idea that we should be represented to the same extent, if only because there is a lot of catching up to do and the battleground is not necessarily in reality, but in people's minds.

7. Gen

Gen

Of course. People of color are also immensely underrepresented, which truthfully is even worse considering they aren't even technically minorities when all together.

The reason why subtly can be fairly rare in LGBTQ fiction is because sexual minorities aren't often giving the luxury of seeing same-sex intimacy in popular media. Many writers of LGBTQ fiction often feel more drawn to include those aspects of romance for personal satisfaction because of that. The problem that this creates is when the main characters of a work are LGBTQ the work is automatically marked as LGBTQ, which causes its potential sales to plummet. If the work happens to include intimacy, even lightly so, it is market as LGBTQ Romance and the potential sales are essentially floored.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to read more LGBT books, especially centered on lesbians, but a lot of them are too mature for me. >.< If I became a writer, I would love to write LGBT books meant for younger readers. ^.^ There are not enough...

9. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hell yes.

Less tragic stories, more happy stories. More stories that aren't about coming out. More lesbians who don't end up sleeping with a guy. More trans characters. More bi characters. More pan characters. More asexual characters. More LGBTQ+ characters of color. More disabled LGBTQ+ characters... etc etc etc.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'd like to see more diversity in romance stories in general. Even heterosexual ones are really redundant, stereotypical, and don't represent all straight people. Gay ones even more so. And I want to see real lesbians and not fake ones who always end up with a guy -.-'

Oh and the sex thing is soooo stereotypical for gay stories. Not all straight stories revolve around sex even. Come on. There are gay people who are rather non-sexual too

#10 Fallingdown7, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  11. LadyRedRover

It's very cool to hear everyone's opinions! :grin:

@Gen, Fantasy is definitely a 'white-washed' category when it comes to people of color, which is another reason why I'm worried my book won't sell when it's complete. The majority of people are dark-skinned in it, including my MC's love interest.

@YuriCore, Most of my stories are 13+ since I dislike writing sex scenes ^_^; All of my MC's are lesbians or asexual though :slight_smile:

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool. ^.^

13. Bubble Bun

Bubble Bun Guest

I would LOVE to see more LBGT literature! A total yes from me.

14. Gen

Gen

I empathize completely. There are definitely higher standards when it comes to the success of works surrounding characters that fall outside of the white-heterosexual default, but I have faith that you can live up to those standards. The important thing will be knowing the team that you are considering publishing with and interviewing them as much as they will be interviewing you.

Question how they intend to go about marketing the work before signing over the rights. You work is a work of fantasy; nothing more, nothing less. Readers shouldn't have any idea of the race or sexuality of those characters until they read that information within. The moment you hear a publisher speaking with taglines such as LGBTQ fiction (if applicable), ethnic fiction, etc. Hang up the phone and call a new one. The issue with the white-heterosexual default is far less with readers actively pushing aside books with those characters, rather works centered around them being pigeon-holed in marketing and genre placement based on the race or orientations included.

15. LadyRedRover

@Gen, Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I just want it to be known as a fantasy novel, so I'll keep an eye out for what they want to market it as. If nothing else though, I'll self-publish :slight_smile:

16. musicgirl18

Sarah and Jennifer Diemer's stories are really fantastic, and they have a whole set of short stories on their site for anyone to read for free. Sarah's mythology rewriting of Persephone and Hade's is brilliant and she's got it for free right now. and you can get her story A Witch's Sea on amazon for free too. They mainly focus on fantasy and sci fi, but they have some that are of different genres. 99.9% lesbian, some bisexual girls and one trans girl story in their Project Unicorn (free short story set) so far, they say they aren't done yet. They're amazing!