1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who hates live action movies that focus on talking animals?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by tulipinacup, Sep 27, 2014.

1. tulipinacup

With the exception of Babe and Milo and Otis, I'm talking about movies like Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Stuart Little or Hotel for Dogs. I know it's a children's movie but I'm still so annoyed how they have to dumb down the viewers and primarily focuses on fart jokes.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Stuart Little wasn't too bad. It wasn't spectacular, but it had it's moments. The other two, well, those are just really bad movies.

I do agree with you, though. I feel bad for parents, who take their kids to see these movies, and they endure it. It's one thing not to be catered to, but totally ignored, well, that's just ridiculous.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I usually don't like them, they seem pretty dumb to me. I do like Babe and Milo and Otis though (the exceptions)

4. 101DeadRoses

Whew, I thought I was going to have to kill you until you excepted Babe and Milo and Otis. Those movies are my childhood!

I agree with you. Let's leave fart jokes to the pros! And by pros, I mean mental teens.

5. Blossom85

There are some movies I don't mind and some that I just find a little irritating.. One of them that I really loved though was Charlotte's Web, the live action movie with Dakota Fanning in it, perhaps cause I just loved the book, but I felt they did that movie extremely well.. But other animal talking movies that just aren't done well at all, but then again.. Those movies are more so aimed at kids but I do agree that they can do something more to make it endurable for parents as well. Monsters Inc and Ice Age.. I think did it really well as well.

6. Ryujin

With an exception of 'Guardians of the Galaxy', most live action films with anthropomorphic animals tend to be badly written or badly made or something similar. If you want to watch a good film with anthropomorphic animals, you're better with something from Blue Sky or Disney-Pixar

7. tulipinacup

Yeah I'm basically referring to the comedy genre and I actually do love Charlotte's Web and in fact, I think Julia Roberts' role as a spider is one of her best roles imo

8. K Dot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't necessarily say I have a problem with talking animals in live action films per se, it's just that most of them are incredibly poorly written cash grabs because kids really are that impressionable (I remember fucking loving the Alvin & the Chipmunks movies as a kid).

9. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I actually like Stuart Little but I love Homeward Bound! I don't care for a lot of them though. I hated Cats and Dogs.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yeah, they're pretty ridiculous. But hey, kids like it

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

idk what u expect from a babby movie tbh

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea, though on average, I think the films could be better. But then again, I think that almost all Hollywood films could be better, because I'm one of of those awful film snobs you hear about who watch mainly indie, cult, classic and foreign films. Or sometimes, I watch films that are so bad, they are good, if that makes sense.

The idea of talking animals interests me, though I find it works better in animation than live action.

13. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homeward Bound was one of my favorites.

14. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Mine too! When Shadow and Peter are reunited I cry every time.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but I don't hate them, although it depends on how childish they are. Fart jokes, really? In that case, I'd agree that they suck -_-

16. Candace

I agree with you! They're the films that I never bothered to see nor will I ever see :grin:

17. Stripe101

I mostly agree, but if Beverly Hills Chihuahua isn't the most adorable thing ever, I don't know what is. Then again, it came out when I was 9 so it's kind of nostalgic for me.

18. Beetle

Yeah I think they're pretty stupid (the live-action type ones, not fully animated.) I would give exception to Homeward Bound and Babe though.