1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watch In The Flesh?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by claiire, Sep 28, 2014.

1. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's an amazing BBC Three show. It takes place 4 years after an event called "The Rising" where everyone who died the previous year began to rise from their graves in typical zombie fashion. Now, 4 years on, they've developed a cure of sorts, medication that allows the zombies to regain proper brain function and live relatively normal human lives. The show focuses on a zombie called Kieren (who just so happens to be bisexual) who is just about to return home to his family after the Rising. However, he's from a very conservative northern town which is not happy about the zombies (the politically correct term being 'partially deceased syndrome sufferers') returning home. The show deals with themes of prejudice, depression/suicide, PTSD and so much more and it handles them all beautifully. I highly recommend it.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I love In The Flesh, I really hope they make a 3rd season :slight_smile:

3. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Me too! I need to know why they
    dug up Amy's body.
    Also I need more cute zombie boyfriends in my life. We didn't get to see enough of them being a couple.

4. SeaSalt

5. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't like it, I'm not a big fan of melodrama and to me that's all the show has come across as.

6. RandomMatt

Started binging the show a few weeks ago and quickly fell in love with it. The approach of the show is rather heavy on the drama I agree, but I think that's the point. It's not supposed to be a straightforward horror, it's supposed to be an in-depth character study as well as (from what I've picked up) a subtle political allegory.

7. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would definitely say the characters and the themes of prejudice, religious extremism, etc are the show's main focus and strong points.

8. Cas

Cas

I need need neeeeeeeeed the third season!

9. cornetto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just wanted to post as I love In The Flesh!! Im a huge fan of horror/zombie films and series, and how they integrated the themes of discrimination / coming out was just fantastic, I found I could relate so much to Luke the main character.

I saw the sad news that the BBC had cancelled this so there would be no 3rd series, which I think is such a shame and waste of a fantastic drama series. :slight_smile:

In the Flesh cancelled by BBC Three, won't return for third series - In The Flesh News - Cult - Digital Spy

10. Cerith23

Yes, it's one of my favourite shows! Unfortunately we won't be getting a third season however...

11. 741852963

Absolutely gutted at that news, particularly given the massive cliffhanger. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy the show I'd go as far as to say it was one of the most poignant gay-themed shows ever shown on British TV. This has hit me hard as I think its probably the closest depiction to my own life (sans zombie apocolypse of course) I've ever seen on TV. The first time I've ever gone "wow, this could be written for me". And now we are just left with channel 4's vapid and crap Cucumber/Banana business for gay TV in the UK, more of the same "Queer as Folk" style representation of the gay club scene. (Slight retraction, Luke Newberry is in both these shows, sorry Luke!)

There are petitions going (See below), unlikely to have much of an effect but who knows, maybe Netflix will buy the first too and fund a final series? (One can hope). They've done this continuation before (The Killing, Arrested Development etc) so fingers crossed.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-netflix-give-in-the-flesh-a-new-home

#RENEWINTHEFLESH campaign gains momentum as In The Flesh fans call for it to go on Amazon or Netflix

Regardless of the outcome, congrats to all the cast and everyone who worked on this. They all deserve great things, particularly Emily Bevan who played Amy.

EDIT: What is fascinating is seeing all the support on the petition from far around the world, in particular from countries like China and Russia. I can imagine LGBT youth in these countries really benefitting from the show, its a powerful metaphor.

#11 741852963, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015