1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soooo, I just watched "Prayers for Bobby" for the first time...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Haze, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ... Wow. Ummmm. Wow. First off, that was one hell of a movie (pun almost intended)! I don't cry for movies ever, but that came really, really close more times than I care to admit.
    This movie was a shock to me because my main home household was never very religious (and while the rest of my family is, homosexuality isn't talked about. It's not condemned, it just isn't ever mentioned). So I never had any idea there was such a huge religious aversion to it, until I started looking into LGBT+ related things when I started to realise I liked girls. But even then, I never paid much attention to religious zealots. I kind of assumed that they were the extreme exception to the rule and were just the people the main church either didn't take very seriously or swept under the rug and pretended they didn't really exist. I never entertained the idea that such a (to my mind) small faction of people could have such a huge effect on one person's life.
    You see people with those hateful signs protesting, on the internet all the time and to me it all seemed blown up to get likes or views or whatever, but I really have to ask now... Is this a common thing? No-body does stuff like that in my country so it all seemed kind of silly and juvenile to me, but in America is it just the norm? This notion really disturbs me.

Anyway, Prayers for Bobby was great. I'll definitely watch it again with my significant other once I finally find someone. :/ But I can't stop thinking about all that hate. Ugh, I'm so sorry for people in a similar situation and wish there was something I could do.

2. Doudline

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Prayers for Bobby is a FANTASTIC movie.

I might be naive, but I believe this movie genuinely has the potential to help parents who struggle to accept the sexuality of their children to put their fears into perspective and move forward.

3. Cas

Cas

Prayers for Bobby was a great movie, and I can't remember the last time I cried that hard.

4. twosoups

There are a whole lot more of those religious zealots than you realize. They just mostly live in certain parts of the world.