1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What identity(ies) would you want to see more of?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pluie, Oct 6, 2014.

?

What should my character identify as?

1. Asexual

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Genderqueer

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Intersex

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Asexual and genderqueer

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Asexual and intersex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Genderqueer and intersex

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. Asexual, genderqueer and intersex

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in the bare-bones stages of writing a novel. I originally planned to have it alternate between the first-person POV of two boys who end up falling in love, but I feel like it should have more than just that because there's quite a few stories like that already. So I'm thinking of having it alternate between one of the boys and their friend Hélène, who would have been a major secondary character anyway. But I'd like to have her not be cis and straight as well, even though she was in my original plan. I can't decide what to do with her, now that I'm giving her half of the plot. I'm torn between the ideas of making her asexual, genderqueer and/or intersex, and whether I should give her a love interest or not (I have an idea for one, but I'm not sure about it yet). Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. Water lover

Water lover Guest

If you make her sexuality attractive besides straight or asexual it's kinda takes away from the two boys falling in love. If that is you main plot. I really have no say it's just an opinion.

P.S that's like a happy suggestion I don't want to sound like a dick I just don't want to spend the extra bigglion lines making it sounds nice over the internet :slight_smile:

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What does the plot call for? Don't make somebody something unless it's for a darn good reason.

I'd have her be genderqueer and talking with her is what encourages the less confident of the boys to explore his non-straight feelings. But for the love of God don't switch POVs unless you're switching timelines as well. It usually does more harm than good. X.X

4. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have to disagree with you there. That's the same mentality that gets us stuck with straight cisgender white people in 80% (estimating here) of mainstream media, because it's basically saying that if a character is queer, they exist to be "the queer character" and wouldn't be relevant otherwise. And that really sucks. My darn good reason is that I want to increase visibility as much as I can while still having a compelling character who is not defined solely by their orientation and/or gender identity. The plot calls for a character whose main conflict is her changing relationships with her friends and preparing for life beyond high school - being queer is a part of her I want to include, but it's not the entirety of her.

That is definitely a good idea though, having her confide in Elliott (who is definitely the less confident one) that has him start questioning.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I say genderqueer, but then again I'm biased. Intersex is even rarer in fiction, usually the only times I've seen anything similar would be when the book is about aliens or something.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Intersex for sure

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'd prefer asexual, because we lack visibility

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not so much. Even a cis white character has those traits; they are simply common enough that people can ignore them. But you'll notice that in most stories that don't involve romance, a character's skin color and orientation are only indirectly implied. There's no reason to say your character is one thing or another, even as a member of a majority, if it doesn't affect the story in some way.

I am writing a story with a bi female as a supporting character. However I'm debating whether or not to bring it up because honestly, it's just filler detail that might not play a role. Putting in things for the sake of putting in things is an amateur practice.

Now, if the character in question's status as LGBT is important in some way, by all means. It's not for "token status" but more for maintaining the value of the story's content.