1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Park Episode: "The Cissy"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MintberryCrunch, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    South Park's most recent episode is one that deals with transgender issues--in which Cartman pretends to be transgendered and it also involves Wendy being accused of being a lesbian.

I have yet to see it, but as a big fan of South Park, I plan on it and can't imagine it could be bad.

For anyone who likes South Park, have you seen the episode yet? What did you think?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Considering that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are generally reasonable people (and pretty funny, to boot!), I'm looking forward to it. :grin:

Besides, it's not like trans people have a good reputation anyways. (Our reputation was actually pretty good until the late 70s/early 80s, when a certain Janice Raymond caused a shit-storm between the second wave feminists and the Harry Benjamin-era trans women.)

In America, it's usually one of these: "attention-seeking brats who use a ton of ridiculous labels to be special snowflakes","mentally ill fetishists who are clearly bullshitting", or "I don't get/know what transgender is". What do we have to lose?

#2 An Gentleman, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Tardis2020

It was pretty funny. But I think judging by the fact that people get offended by everything, the reactions from others will not be so positive.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They hit a huge home run with this episode, in every way. I cannot begin to describe how immensely proud I am with the team who made this episode. They made their points, which were definitely about tolerance, and fucking Randy gets even better. So does Wendy. Or Wendall (if Wendy actually identifies as male, and wasn't doing that specifically to spite Cartman). Also love the touch of Butters at the end (what's gotten into that kid, recently?)

It also seems that their continuity strings their episodes, now. Which leaves quite a bit of wiggle room for Stan, and his future. I really wonder how his story's going to turn out.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's good? That's great news. When I have spare time, I'll watch some South Park.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Watching it right now. Liking it so far. Definitely making me laugh.

"You guys are so cis-gender. You can suck my clit and my balls." - Cartman

He's such an idiot. I love it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, question: Is Cartman actually saying "Transginger"?

8. Ruthven

lol he pronounced it that way yeah. like how he says other words in his own special way lol

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No one takes south park seriously which I'm glad for .

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing with South Park is that yes, they make fun of everybody. But they also have their messages they want to get across, and some of them can be quite serious. However, it's South Park, and they'll do that however they want to.

11. Ruthven

i like how really, it was all structured in a way that was against people bein trans just to be special--which was basically Cartman's role--and against anyone who has a problem with trans people.

so yeah, it was supportive of trans people, and i feel like they handled it great.

and i also like this quote

“Anyone who has a problem with sharing a bathroom with people who might be Transgender, will have to use the special designated bathroom designed to keep them away from the normal people who don’t care.”

i mean that just really drives the point home that they're cool with trans people

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think something's going on with Stan, though. Let's just say I thought Butters would be going down this road much quicker, and perhaps it's actually Stan to do it.

13. WearyWanderer

Randy...fucking Randy, man. XD That was the highlight of the episode for me.
    Loved this episode. This season has been really good so far. I really do like how they're having a loose continuity with the episodes. I hope they continue that for the rest of the season, that would be awesome.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A trans friend of mine said it was done well, but I'm in a fragile place right now so I'm not going to watch it.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Definitely a bold episode.

Like others have said, the continuity here has me intrigued, as to what direction they'll go with this season.

I think my favorite part of this episode was, near the end, when the school voted for the new bathroom rules. The part about singling out the bigots, and making them go to their own bathroom, so they don't have to be around 'normal people who just don't care', was amusingly genius.

16. MrK21

I thought that it was pretty funny. Also a good way to educate people on transgender issues as well. It covers what cis means, and sexual orientation in transpeople. Seriously though, I really couldn't give a rat's ass what bathroom somebody uses, because IT'S JUST A BATHROOM, and yeah bathroom sex is really trashy anyway. I do like the idea of the Other bathroom for genderfluid people though.

17. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought it was great, Now anytime I hear a song from Lorde I'm going to think of Randy. :lol:

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I saw that they were doing a clearly trans-based episode, I was very worried it was going to be transphobic.

They proved me wrong a hundred times over. Very well done.

I can't find a youtube clip of it, so for anyone interested, scroll about halfway down for Sharon's speech to Randy:
    South Park’s “Cissy” episode was great on trans issues.

I thought it was touching.

19. TheStormInside

It was surprisingly decent, I thought, especially after what we went through in earlier seasons with Mr. then Ms. then Mr. Garrison. It was pretty similar to a couple of other episodes, like the one about Tourrettes, where Cartman pretends to have tourrette's syndrome so he can "say whatever he wants." I got the impression Wendy was just trolling Cartman to prove a point, as that's what she often tends to do, though it would be cool to see an actual trans character on the show. The Randy parts were great.

Another really good LGBT episode is when Butters gets sent to the anti-gay camp. I like that they called back to that a bit here with the tutu at the end.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what they do with the continuity. That was the biggest surprise, to me.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm curious what Lorde thinks about all of this...