1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with transgendered charcter

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by love dont judge, Oct 23, 2014.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm writing a book which contains a MtF character, and I'm realizing that my knowledge of transgendered people is severely limited. Can anyone help me in better developing this character?

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, she's just a girl.

You might want to research dysphoria or transition, if she's going to be experiencing those during the course of your story (or even just so you understand her life history).

But overall, you're just writing a girl. (Additionally, my favourite trans character sort of just happens to be trans, the story isn't about him being trans, he could easily not have been trans, but.. he was.)

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply. that's what ive been doing, she doesnt really come in at all though, and im going to kill her off soon (sadly, it's important to the storyline, but there is still a gay character to remember her legacy.)

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. JessicaWolfess

In my honest opinion, a character should have a good memorable personality no matter their gender or sexuality. She is just a girl so unless your writing a story specifically about her struggles as tg you shouldn't have to bring it up all the time in the story.

6. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

What book/movie is he from? :grin:

7. White Knight

I don't have personal experience as you do but also keep entertaining a transgender character in my head for years.

I liked Hit & Miss character Mia. Which mind give you some point of view. Keep in mind tho' I never discussed with real life transgender people about what they think about the show. So it might a blind man swinging a colored flag to you.

8. antibinary

DO NOT, whatever you do, DO NOT, make that her defining trait or make a big deal out of it. Or make it the but of a joke.