1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They won't let me.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CallMeChristian, Oct 27, 2014.

1. My mom and dad won't let me wear fairy kei. My parents said they don't understand how I can be masculine one day and be dressed in bright colors the next day (I'm actually genderfluid but, I'm not out of the closet to them yet so, they don't really get it and they are very intolerant of people falling outside of the gender binary). Also, they said that this style would be okay if I was 12. I explained to them that people wear this style well into their 20's and sometimes even their 30's. They also said that I will look like a clown. I told them that just because they think I look like a clown doesn't mean I won't be happy. They told me that it would be different if I had a group of friends who liked this style too, a group of friends to "take the heat with me." I told them that I am very confident and secure in myself so I don't care about bullies and I told them that it seemed strange that they would only let me do something if it was a "trend" or if other people were doing it too. Finally, my parent's biggest argument is "You don't live in Tokyo, okay?" Ugh, that makes me so mad. Do they not understand that not only was fairy kei inspired by 1980's western fashion, but that there are plenty of people in the United States who dress fairy kei? They should understand! I explained it to them a million times! What do I do? Also, I'm 17. I explained to them that I should have more freedom with my fashion and self expression.

2. The iD

Just talk to em about it. Let them know you dress how you want and it makes you happy.

3. iiimee

God, I hate it when parents try to control everything! Mine are pretty cool, but it's your life! You'll be 18 soon, and it's time they treat you like one! Still, try to be mature but assertive. Calmly state it's your choice how you dress, and they can't change that. Buy the outfit yourself if you have too, but make sure they know you are your own person.