1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer 40,000

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Steam Giant, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Steam Giant

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war!

So, who plays? Who's heard of it and wants to play? Who's interested in the setting, but hasn't had any exposure to the tabletop war game yet?

My exposure to Warhammer 40K started with the Dawn of War games, which led to me playing Dark Heresy, the 40K pen-and-paper RPG, and has finally resulted in me getting into the tabletop game itself. With a new rules edition freshly printed as of September '08, and a new codex coming out for my army in just under a week, this is a pretty good time to jump in, especially with the new starter set on the market.

I play Space Marines, Ultramarines to be specific. While I only have two full squads completely painted, I've already played a few games via lots of proxies. I'll post some of the better pictures I've taken of my figures, though be warned - some of these pictures are a tad blurry ^^````

The only usable picture of my completed tactical squad. Contains a plasma gun, a missile launcher, and a veteran sergeant with a power axe.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture2004.jpg

My assault marines ^^ of which I am very proud! This squad contains 2 plasma pistols and a veteran sergeant with a power sword. I'll be producing two variant assault marines sometime down the road, in case I want to upgrade with 2 flamers instead of 2 plasma pistols.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6013.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6015.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6021.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6023.jpg

My Vindicator tanks ^^ both of them are nearly complete now, with only the detail work left to paint.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6041.jpg

A silly picture of my assault marines attacking my Necromunda gangers. Those gangers are unpainted in that picture, though they're not much further along now - I've been primarily focusing on getting my space marines painted.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture6044.jpg

And finally, pictures of my first battle, against 1,000 points worth of Necrons! I had to borrow a few things from a friend of mine in order to table a 1,000 point battleforce myself, but for my first game, I'm told I did quite well, and I even managed to squeeze in a victory thanks to one particularly important piece of advice from my opponent, as well as a grave error on his behalf. But it's still a victory...right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture5011.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture5012.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture5013.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture5014.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/Dyleberg/Picture5015.jpg

Let me know what you think ^^ and again, if you play, tell us about your army(ies) :thumbsup:

2. Poring

oooh

I myself dont play the tabletop game, but I'm into the RTS games on the PC (can't wait for Dawn of War 2! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Anyway, I dont really see myself getting into it. I already have to much hobbies, and this isn't exactly cheap and much time is needed for it. Nice collection though. Hopefully, it'll grow and you'll have whole armies and a sea of blue waiting patiently for your enemy :grin:

3. Steam Giant

I'm sure you've seen this already, but for those who haven't...

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 Trailer

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0m28yz6kmg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm definitely looking forward to this one too ^^ and it's about damned time they tossed tyranids into the mix! Although, I'm not going to complain about the Tau and the Sisters of Battle being added before them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: from what I've heard, it's supposed to feel a little more like the tabletop war game, in the fact that you're working with fewer units, so there's more emphasis on strategy and mobility, and a single soldier is that much more important.

In the first game I played of tabletop 40K, I lost all but 2 assault marines and my captain (think Force Commander) to an ambush by a teleporting necron squad. I was about to throw in the towel, as my primary offensive unit was reduced to a mere handful of soldiers, but acting some helpful advice ^^ I used them to catch up with the necrons, to where they ended up teleporting to, and proceeded to kill their lord almost right away ^^ it was down to my captain versus a swarm of soulless creatures of living metal then, but they just couldn't kill him ^^ so he slowly chopped them to bits!

But yeah, in the tabletop game, you can do a lot with only a few guys if you use them correctly, and I think that's what they're trying to go for with Dawn of War 2.

Warhammer 40K (the war game) does take time (typically a few months to make an army) and lots of money (for a full, flexible army, about $500 US), but I find that if you pace yourself, it's not too bad. For instance, I started with just one box of 10 soldiers (the tactical squad) and refused to allow myself to purchase anything more until I was completely finished with painting all of those figures.

That way, you can simply spend a certain amount of money per paycheck, or per month if you'd prefer, and have a complete army without really feeling the financial bite. It'd take a while, sure, but as long as you're patient, the game itself is well worth the effort ^^ designing your own figures certainly results in creating an attachment between you and your soldiers, too, which makes the game that much more exciting!

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Cool nice vid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, when the tyranid came out if looked like a scene from 'Aliens'

5. MOS KONIG

MOS KONIG Guest

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword...
    - Grand Master Mandulis of the Grey Knights

6. Steam Giant

:thumbsup:

We are the Ultramarines, the Sons of Guilliman. Whilst we draw breath, we stand. Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath.
    -Marneus Calgar, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines

Or, perhaps I should quote a classic?

BURN THE HERETIC!
    KILL THE MUTANT!
    PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

Should we assume that you play, Mos Konig? ^^ Details! With the new Space Marines codex and an Imperial Guard codex on the horizon (strong rumor: plastic Armageddon guardsmen!), this is a good day to be in the service of the God-Emperor!

7. MOS KONIG

MOS KONIG Guest

I serve the Emperor, so as you. For the details, I was there when the Exterminatus order for Cyrene was signed.

8. nemo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "it is as we join with others, in a way that only the Tau can, in a shared engagement to the greater good, that we find ourselves able to fully realise our true potential. And that is the final source of ourhopes and intentions."

Aun'el T'au Tam'ya, Ethereal caste

9. Steam Giant

Ah ^^ the good ole Tau...everybody's favorite communist cows :thumbsup:

Oh yes, the Imperium of Man is quite familiar with this Greater Good, and wholly reject the idea of pretending sympathy for the common man. For instance, on our method of purging Chaos taint from one of our worlds before it is allowed to spread:

'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live.'

-In Exterminatus Extremis

^^ I tried to find a more appropriate "comeback" quote, but there really aren't many "[Imperium army] trashing Tau" quotes floating around ^^``

Do you play, nemo? Dawn of War, Dark Heresy, the tabletop war game ^^ tell us about you and 40K!

10. Corny

Corny Guest

I hate that there is no testversion/guest pass for it. I wanna try it - but I am not buying it just to find out that I don't like it :wink:

11. Steam Giant

Actually (around here at least) there is! Most game stores that host tournaments or casual games will have an in-store army. Our local store has one of the easiest armies to play, so it helps you to understand how the game works. Even if a store you investigate doesn't have a house army, I think you'll find that most 40K players are very friendly and community oriented. Try and watch a game or two, and talk to the players, they don't bite ^^ One of them might even let you use one of their armies that they're not using for one night, to try out a game.

I was just at our local gaming store myself, and got to meet a trio of 40K players in the midst of a match. They were very relaxed, and were even letting their opponents use unpainted figures, or use the wrong figure for something and just say that it's something else, etc. Wargamers tend to be very accommodating in casual games ^^

12. nemo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to play the table top game until all of my friends quit, now I usualy just paint them as the nearest games workshop is far away and I can't get there often. I wish I had someone to play against. I have found myself just puttering around with them now. I need to find someone to play with, get my skills up again. Haha.

13. Steam Giant

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that! Well, once you're able to drive, I'm sure it'll be much easier to mingle with your local community ^^

What armies do you currently play? Just the Tau, or any others? Got any lists you'd like to share? ^^ And, of course, pictures are totally welcome!

There's actually going to be a new league starting up not this saturday, but next, so I'm scrambling to dig up 2,000 points until then! Unfortunately for me, I won't be getting Marneus Calgar, my scout squad and a land raider crusader until next wednesday, leaving me three days to paint them! Eek!

Here's my current army list ^^ using the brand new codex! I'll try and make it as light as I can:

Marneus Calgar (armor of antilochus) 265
    Captain (Relic Blade & Jump Pack) 155
    Tactical Squad (10 guys, flamer & missile launcher) 170 (x2)
    Scouts (5 guys, Sergeant Telion, sniper rifle x4) 125
    Assault Squad (10 guys, flamer x2, power weapon, melta bombs) 230
    Terminators (5 guys, assault cannon) 230
    Razorback (lascannon & twin-linked plasma gun) 75 (x2)
    Vindicator (dozer blade) 120 (x2)
    Land Raider Crusader (extra armor) 265

GRAND TOTAL ... ... ... 2000

14. nemo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could drive to the workshop, I would probably move in! Currently I only have Tau, but the Eldar have always caught my attention for a future army. They look stunning on the battle field! I wish I had a list or picture with me right now, I will deffinately try to get them for you. So big battle goin down, should be fun, wish I was there. And you better be able to paint like mad! That's not much time! Looks to be a more rganized list than I am capable of putting together. Haha. I hope you do well at the tournament, good luck