1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All about the bass? What a horrible message!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Oct 29, 2014.

1. 741852963

So this song has been all across the radio stations and on TV for what seems like an enternity now. I know its just a bit of air-pop fun but I must say that listening to the lyrics and viewing the music video the message seems quite problematic and offensive to both women and men - its certainly not the body-positive anthem its intended to be. I'll just run through some of the lyrics:

Are women "supposed" to shake it? Is that a requirement for women today?

This part is just plain patronising to thin women (as it suggest their bodies are not attractive) and to men. Not "all" men are into curvy women - just like women they have their own unique preferences and tastes.

Well based on seeing Meghan in the music video she looks a reasonably healthy weight but I'd imagine its quite possible to be thinner than her and healthy without being a "stick figure" or vain or cosmetically modified enough to be deemed a "silicone barbie doll"

This seems to contradict here earlier point that "all men" like curvy women, no? Also, the manner this part is sung is quite dismissive to the fact that people have different tastes. Telling someone to "move along" isn't particularly polite. If a man (or woman) prefers slender women, they don't deserve to be instantly vilified for doing so.

At this point the video cuts to the dancer Sione Maraschino. Now you don't have to be a doctor to see that Sione is quite clearly dangerously obese and is setting himself up for some severe problems in the future. Now I'm sure he is a lovely guy and he is a great dancer, but to celebrate his body as "perfect" and to suggest he shouldn't change doesn't seem a healthy approach. I don't support fat shaming but I do think giving obese people gentle, tactful and sensitive encouragement to lose weight is in their own interest - saying they are "perfect how they are" really isn't.

Ultimately the obesity crisis in the West is not something that can be brushed under the carpet for much longer, it does need addressing at some point.

So seemingly a skinny woman who does acknowledge that she is skinny deserves to be called a "bitch" because of it? Not very pleasant.

2. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Because the entire history of womens fashion and apperance and implied self worth has certainly not focused on being thin .....ye, ok .

3. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If Maraschino is proud of his body it is not for you to tell him there is something wrong with that. I think to say that obese people cannot be perfect is unfair. If he feels beautiful, why is that your decision to tell him he cannot be?
    If he feels perfect, why is that a problem? It's his body, and his choice, and not up to us to tell him he can't be perfect, or content with his own body.
    I look at the other extreme: anorexic people. They can still be perfect, beautiful and (although it is rare) content with their bodies. Who are we to tell them they cannot be?

4. AAASAS

That song is just a slap in the face to doo wop :frowning2:
    Dont know how that song can be famous and so many other songs similar and way better never will get air play.

And sorry the majority of guys like woman that aren't fat, not super skinny, but being fat definately is not something to be celebrated. It's horrible for your arteries, heart, basically all your organs.

Also the bass in that song is boring as fuck, she definitely is not all about or has any idea how to create a good bass.

I'll leave her with this song, one with incredible bass, and a message in it's vocals to her. "Fuck off"

[youtube]a3Sn8n0DOs4[/youtube]

#4 AAASAS, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the song is trying to send a positive message to people who aren't skinny and maybe think they're fat (but aren't necessarily obese with health problems), but it comes off as being a bit patronizing and dismissive to naturally skinny people. People sometimes don't know how to make a "positive" message to people who are traditionally marginalized without putting down someone in the process.

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I think this song is a bit offensive.

Anorexia is an awful thing (I was anorexic as a child, so I know what I'm saying) but this doesn't mean that being obese or overweight, even if this last one is moderate, is good.

A person can be happy also with green skin and red eyes. We are nodoby to judge him/her. But everything that goes on television is a message sent to people.

I don't like people think anorexia is good.

I don't like people think overweight is good as well.

You can be happy for what you are, also if you are 20 kg or 300 kg, but this doesn't mean that being 20 kg or 300 kg is right or healthy.

The same about drugs. Do you like being a drug-addicted? GOOD! You have your own life and you can do whatever you want about your body, but this doesn't mean that being a drug-addicted is good...

7. 741852963

But unfortunately there is something wrong with him, he has a medical condition called obesity. It is seriously dangerous and will likely do him a lot of harm over his life course so I don't think labelling his body "perfect" is healthy in any way.

Its not necessarily "his body, his choice" in the case of obesity - obesity affects the individual and those around them. An obese person's loved ones will likely have to witness them get sick or die prematurely. Their children are statistically more likely to grow up obese themselves. And if you live in a country with public healthcare the taxpayer has to pay towards increased healthcare costs. Bariatric services are not cheap, let me tell you. If it takes a team of 8 healthcare professionals to lift someone onto a stretcher as opposed to say 2 or 3, then that cost has to come from somewhere, and those staff have to be pulled away from other patients.

It is an "elected illness" in the sense that it is self-inflicted. Whereas other dangerous lifestyle choices like smoking cigarettes (and to a lesser degree drinking alcohol) negate the costs caused to the health service due to their taxation, obesity does not (for instance there is no added tax on junk food).

8. ForeverYoung000

The song depicts the "ideal" skinny body type as overrated and promotes body acceptance by celebrating men and women of all sizes and shapes with lyrics such as "Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top" and “It's pretty clear I ain't no size 2, but I can shake it, shake it like I'm supposed to do". Trainor says, "I wrote this song because I myself struggle with this concept of self-acceptance. It was written from a real place so I’m glad that other people can relate to it."

However, some have criticized the song and interpreted it as skinny-shaming, due to Trainor's use of the phrase "skinny bitches". In defense, Trainor refers to the full context of the lyrics: "I'm bringing booty back. Go 'head and tell them skinny bitches that. No, I'm just playing, I know you think you're fat. But I'm here to tell you, every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top." Trainor says what she meant was, "Naw, I'm just playing, I know you guys even think you're fat, but I'm here to tell you that you're perfect.'"[12]

Trainor continued to reiterate her point over this criticism in an interview with Billboard where she stated "But, I'm not bashing skinny girls. Some girls have commented, 'I'm a size zero, so you must hate me.' But that's not it at all! There have been battles on my YouTube page, like, 'You don't know what she's talking about. She's actually saying, 'I know even you skinny girls struggle'.' And that's exactly how I feel."

Wikipedia

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for clearing that up, ForeverYoung. I had no doubt that she wasn't actually trying to bash anyone, even if it the song can be construed that way.

10. ForeverYoung000

Your welcome @mint

Sorry that was the wrong link.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_That_Bass

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow--now it's horrible for someone to say that maybe you can have a little self worth even if you don't look like the people in the magazines? Seriously? Sometimes I think people are just looking for stuff to be offended by.

12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We live in a society that demonizes weight, where to be a naturally bigger person has a strong social stigma attached to it. Kids at school who are bigger in shape get mercilessly bullied and teased and made to feel like dirt, even if their body shape is basically a genetic thing they would have to fight tooth and nail to overcome. We have appalling shows like 'The Biggest Loser' (get it? they are 'losers' cos they are fat, but if they 'lose' the most weight they can 'win', get it? wow how clever and enlightened) with those humiliating public 'weigh-ins' in which the (socially constructed) 'shame' of their big bodies is paraded on television for all to see. I think if there is a song which says that it's ok to be a bit on the bigger side, it is a good thing. (I'm thin and slender by the way, but I know people on the bigger side, and the crap they have to put up with from others sickens me.) Don't worry, it's just one song. It won't make society look down on the skinny. Thinness is still in vogue, and so long as we in the rich industrialized West are oversupplied with food, it will remain so. A decent famine could change all that, of course, but for now, skinny is 'in'.

13. Rainbow Kitty

I think the message of the song is very positive. And she's not bashing, actually. The only thing I dislike is how she suggests is 'boys like a little more booty to hold at night'. Regardless it is a good song in my opinion.

14. LiquidSwords

Yeah basically

Obviously being skinny is prized by basically everyone over being even slightly overweight in the west. I don't see a problem with the idea that you don't have to have a supermodel's figure to be attractive which is what most other pop songs do which is much more of a problem tbh..

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It isn't a masterpiece, I think most of us will agree on that.

As for the song's message, I think it means well. It could have used some polish, especially with some of the lyrics, but I understand the approach. 'Large' people have been made fun of, for decades, and is has been considered okay. Look at how 'large' and 'dumb' stereotypes, dominate the media of the past. Nowadays, instead of being 'dumb', we're seeing 'large' people becoming overly lively, in the media. Now, everyone is looking for that 'fun and wild fat friend'.

If one song is all the 'non-skinny' get, I'd say that is more than fair, for the amount of ridicule and dehumanizing they have received. Besides, people like what they like, and anyone who takes a song as law, well, they have other problems to be concerned with. Their taste in music isn't top priority.

16. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think they were trying to send a positive message with both the song and the video, but they went too far, and both the song and the video became a negative message. I completely agree with 741852963. Both Obesity and Anorexia are huge problems that are extremely unhealthy and do lead to death if not stopped and fixed. People who have those problems should not have their problems glorified or seen as normal. Those problems are incredibly unhealthy and dangerous. I don't fat shame or have a problem with bigger sized people, but if someone is obese or anorexic, then they need help to fix their problem. They shouldn't be treated badly or be ashamed of it, because a lot of times they can't help themselves, but they do need help and they need to realize how unhealthy, dangerous, and how big of a problem it is, so they can get the help and kind encouragement they need to fix it.

17. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I don't think it's an overly negative bit of pop music, it is however a crap bit of pop music.

There is far far worse out there. Nikki Minaj usually has some terrible lyrics in her music as do most rap related tracks.

18. Unkempt Harold

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That you're more concerned with her lumping men together than you are concerned with the fact that her justification for loving her body is that men love it speaks volumes.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

And the discussion about anorexia is not helpful. At no point is anorexia discussed in the song, and as a former anorexic, it feels like a very shallow attempt to police bodies more than it is to actually help people with mental issues.

20. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A song that slags someone's body purely on the basis of its shape is not body positive at all.

That being said, there is a difference between slagging someone's body for its shape, or recognising that said shape is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. In that case, then the person in question would indeed need to make changes.

However, I don't agree with the message of this song. It makes no reference to health, only size. I am a relatively skinny person and I am certainly not unattractive purely on the basis of my body shape.