1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Period of Music You Least Like and Why + Period of Music You Most Like and why

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Justinian20

What songs do you not like.

I don't like any top 40 songs(Top 40 America and Britain)

More relevant to current period. Reason for that is the music is all the same you never hear Heavy Metal or proper rock songs. It's just Dance Pop, Pop, and Hip Hop/R&B. In fact I think Hip Hop has regressed into R&B in the current period.

1990's and early to mid 2000's were fine
    In teenager years I listened to more early 2000's and mid 2000's stuff than everybody I knew. They were all trying to get into pop. In fact I was picked on for liking this stuff. They all then began to like the pointless modern version of Hip Hop and so I stopped showing I listened to it. But I was still listening to the early 2000's stuff, as soon as I became a Young Adult, I began listening to electronic and realized a lot of good electronic music came from the 90's and so that's how the 90's came to be my favourite.

Why well 90's music was far more varied and none of the good stuff was actually buried by pop and so a lot of good music can be seen in top 40 charts. Even Metal managed to put itself on the 90's charts.

Today's music has gone up in my book but only after looking deeper into it and so it actually was passed by the 80's in music for many of the same reasons that I don't like today's top 40 stuff.

Now it's time for you guys to explain your favourite period of music and

2. LiquidSwords

Late 80s early 90s

Gangster rap esp. East coast/New York really took off with Biggie, Nas, Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Jay Z, Big Pun, Big L.... lots of good alternative/golden age hip hop too

Then loads of alternative rock like Nirvana, Pixies, Pavement, Radiohead, REM, Guided By Voices, Beck..
    Trip hop like Massive Attack, Bjork, Tricky, Portishead.. Shoegaze/dream pop like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Galaxie 500, Ride

All the britpop and madchester too Blur, Pulp, Suede, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays.. also bigbeat and techno so stuff like the Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Faithless which I like some of

Easy choice really!

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure which one I like the most, but I really can't stand pop music, especially from the 70s and 80s (with the exception of MJ of course, but he's technically not even pop in my opinion. His music gives off too many R&B vibes to be considered as pop.

In terms of classical music (being a musician myself, I know a lot about classical music :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), I hate the baroque period, and I'm not too fond of the classical era either. I strongly prefer the romantic and modern eras.

4. timo

I really like the late 00s indie scene, with more famous bands like Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs rising, but also bands like Foals, Friendly Fires, Klaxons and Late of the Pier, to name a few. Good times, really.
    edit: and of course the Ed Banger Records-stuff from that era: Justice, Uffie, DJ Mehdi, SebastiAn, and their compilation albums.

I also want to second the late 80s early 90s, minus the rap. Twee indie pop deserves mentoning though: the first two Belle and Sebastian albums ('96), but also bands like Tiger Trap and Talulah Gosh.

#4 timo, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

To be honest, I don't like popular bands no matter what decade they are from. I prefer bands that are obscure.

That said, the bands I listen to are usually from the 80's or 90's.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    00s definitely!

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate the Renaissance period.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Agreed, though, I would add Pearl Jam, with Nirvana. Bone Thugs 'N Harmony with 'Biggie'.

Honestly, I like so many periods of music. The only genre, as a whole, that I dislike, with few exceptions, is Country. But the Country songs I do like, they're exceptional.

Least favorite, geez... probably everything post-2005. There are a few exceptions, here and there, every year, but as a whole, it falls flat.

Rap got screwed over, when Lil' Wayne started his solo career, because everybody began to emulate that style. Then Drake and Nicki Minaj just put the nail in the coffin. However, I'll admit, Young Money does have some okay beats -- their vocals and lyrics, as a whole, though, not captivating. I also dislike a lot of the auto-tune voices, the lazy lyrics (2Chainz, I'm looking at you), and a lack of diversity. I'm tired of "I'm surrounded by hot men/women, I got a lot of fancy cars, and I have a lot of money" as lyrics. It's okay, for a song or two, maybe three, but every damn single, no.

Rock hasn't suffered as bad, but it just can't compete. Pop, well, that has always been unappealing to me, with some exceptions. Country, already explained that. Metal is hit or miss with me, as I prefer the 1980s and 1990s. Electronic music, was at it's peak in the 1990s, while today, it sounds too distorted. I miss my Madison Avenue, damn it!

9. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the 80's and the 00's the most. I just like the sound of those decades

I'm not a fan of any music before the 1970s. I also don't generally tend to like a lot of 90's stuff either

10. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Period of music I like the least: post-1960 classical music. Yuck.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about Philip Glass or Steve Reich?

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I liked to 60s and 70s the most; Bob Dylan, Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Stones, The Beatles etc.

My least favorite would be now by far