1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you like horror movies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I rarely watch the same movie twice. I love how horror movies can demand my attention and amuse me for a while. Sometimes I've even watched difficult movies because I wanted to discuss them.

What about you?

2. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    horror movies can makes a girls scream and they will hug me :slight_smile:

3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the feeling I get watching Horror films, It Gives me a rush when I get scared. :icon_twis

4. Mickz

They make me laugh half of the time, the other half are just really amazing to watch XD

5. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Its the thrill that you experience when you get scared

6. Justinian20

I like just watching others get freaked out and watching how creative the evil beasts in horror are

7. Doctorlysomethn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thrill of getting scared and sometimes just having that person to cuddle up inside you or for you to cuddle up inside of just makes it so worth it, no matter how scared you get

8. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate them! D: They are way too scary for me, but the guys I see love trying to make me watch it with them so that I will cuddle into them and stuff. I know their game ;P

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because without actual danger, fear is delicious. :grin: It's a primal emotion that you don't get to explore much in the humdrum of daily life. And realistic fears like being threatened by strangers is more like dread than terror. Fantastic scares are much better hehe.

Idk, I have a fascination with fear lately, in myself and especially others. Been browsing some Reddit subs dedicated to creepy/scary posts and it has been delightful.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get too caught up in anticipation. Sometimes I have to leave a room or skip the scary parts.

11. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there's some humor in horror movies, if you watch quite a few of them. i always get a kick out of it when i see something hilarious like heads exploding when you throw a basketball haha. i always find em entertaining and interesting, whether it'd be comical or horrifying

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I developed a taste for horror when I was little since I've always been kinda rebellious and this is the kind of stuff adults would try to shelter me from. Even the most tame things would scare me shitless but I would force myself to keep watching because I wasn't supposed to. It stuck, with the side-effect of me rarely getting scared by anything (on-screen!) anymore. That doesn't prevent me from enjoying myself though, and I still get that good ol' adrenaline rush every once in a while. That being said, I now appreciate more those few movies that step away from the horror cliches I've been seeing since I was a brat and dare try to scare in more subtle, insidious ways; after all, there's more to fear than jumps and gore.

13. Chriswe

They aren't too scary while I'm watching them. I can sit there and play cool and stuff, but when I get home... Holy, I freak out about every little sound and every little thing I see. So I've decided that horror movies are bad for my health. Yup

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I grew up watching Horror movies. They were the first genre of films, I can really remember, liking as a young child. I was introduced to them, very young, when I was babysat by a neighborhood girl. When she would put us to bed, she'd always watch some movies she rented, while she'd talk on the phone or do school work. The angle my room's door was at, I could sneak a peek at the television, and usually, every Friday night, I'd be watching two or three Horror films.

This lasted about a year.

As a child, I had a fascination with how the films made me feel. While I wasn't lividly terrified, I was startled at times. This feeling made me curious, so, I'd keep watching, to see just how much I could handle.

As a young kid, I still had the fascination, but it wasn't so much about being startled. No, I was more into the concepts and characters. To me, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, and everybody else, were interesting mythologies. The slasher aspect was just an entertaining bonus.

As a teenager, still fascinated, it went beyond just liking concepts and characters. I was into the special effects as well. I liked seeing how brutal or ridiculous, Horror films could get. Also, beginning in my teenage years, I did my best to find movies, that I had watched without my babysitter knowing, again, and see if they still held up.

Short answer: not so much.

As a young adult, I suppose it is the nostalgia. As well as the mythologies, the special effects, and the curiosity. I'm very hard to gross out, when it comes to Horror films, because of my countless years of watching them. My interest in Criminal Justice, which includes -- you guessed it -- crimes of all types of severity, too, make bloody messes or gory atrocities ineffective.

In a strange sort of way, those films, from the 1920s classic Universal monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc) to the splattering slashers of the 1980s (Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc), were always readily available to me -- unlike most people in my life. In a way, they could be considered friends of sorts.

Nowadays, I don't watch Horror films as much anymore. For one, I'm semi-burned out on them, and two, there really needs to be a special occasion. Something like, Halloween, an anniversary of a certain film, somebody never having seen it before, or just the mood strikes. As a result, my once insanely encyclopedic knowledge of Horror mythology, has weakened, and I'm semi-rusty, due to this decreasing of viewing. I can still bust out victim names, some background trivia, but no longer can I tell you, exact time frames of any scene, for example.

I have a soft spot for the A Nightmare on Elm Street series, because it was the first Horror series, I really got into. Puppet Master also has a special place, but not because the films are any good, no, I just find the puppet designs to be kick ass. Jaws, of course, is probably my favorite film, falls into this genre. I also have fond memories of, chilling Autumn nights, watching Friday the 13th films, while eating candy.

To bring it all home. Horror movies both fascinate and amuse me, but more than that, they remind me, of just how human I can be.

Also, I have a morbid curiosity, sometimes.

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I always have, ever since I was quite young. I found them more thrilling than frightening usually and was intrigued by them. This was the main reason I was allowed to watch, my mother would keep an eye on me but when I didn't react much or get nightmares she realised I was ok with horror and left me to it for most films.

One thing I'm not so keen on is movies that rely too heavily on the element of disgust rather than the physcological fear aspects. Not because I have a problem with gore (I was the creepy child who collected X-files trading cards with all their often macabre and yet strangely beautiful imagery) but because I see the gross-out factor by itself as a poor substitute for a well thought out plot.

16. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I get frightened easily so for me it's hard to find a "bad" scary movie because they will all scare me lol. The adrenaline rush is nice.

17. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love horror movies.

I love the anticipation, adrenaline rush and everything mentioned!!!

Its pure FUN!!

And yeah, when you have a girl along who gets scared, its icing on the cake!!!

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Horror movies don't scare me i just laugh through the whole thing.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you take away the atmospheric effects most of them are pretty goofy and nonsensical. But the grating sounds and buildup of suspense before anything happens are what gets to me. :astonished:

20. kunglaomksm

Because I am looking for horror movies that could actually scare me(not jump scares) and has a pretty good plot because it's rare nowadays... Original Asian horror movies are BETTER that American ones to be honest so I tend to watch the former than the latter...