1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Tastes in Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Justinian20

I believe I have a strange taste in music especially now I've started listening to old school music and not even stuff that is that popular, in fact the only popular stuff I've listened to is Inner City and that's just cause I'm interested in who pioneered the techno genre.

My favourite Techno artist of the 80's
    Derrick Mays

I also am listening to Krautrock(German experimental rock of the 70's and many Krautrock bands are the pioneers of all sorts of electronic music. Kraftwerk are the main krautrock guys.

I also listen to independent Aussie Hip Hop of the modern age and in the modern age, anything Australian I will listen to, which means I'm a sucker for Aussie music but for whatever reason I hate Iggy Azalea(she annoys me). I also like most Aussie groups who are more successful in Europe, which basically shows I love European music and my taste would be mainstream in Eastern Europe and Germany and even Scandinavia and Iceland even.

Personally I do like European music and an example of that is the obscure genres I listen to which makes me have that strange taste in music.

The obscure genres I listen to the most are
    Spacesynth(popular in the late 70's as Space Disco, but has become more orchestral and epic music), most artists of this genre are European. including Everdune, Laserdance, Galaxy Project, Galactic Warriors.

Chiptune(I'm not entirely sure where the main fanbase for this music is, but it is electronic music which incorporates Gameboy sound into the song). I've sort of forgotten the artists of this genre, but it's just at the moment I'm looking to expand my music taste to a bit older music.

Schranz(Is German techno and sometimes called hardcore techno) I know of Chris Liebing in this genre.

Now into a bit less obscure
    Dark Ambient(Like it's counterpart in Ambient music but with more foreboding and dark tones) examples included Nox Arcana and Soma, Very good at providing an atmosphere of horror as well.

Most Aussie Music bar Pop and Rock Genres: (I listen to all genres in Australian music and prefer Indie Pop to normal Pop) Examples include, Van She, Cut Copy, Cog, Mutiny, The Living End, The Herd, Funkoars and a lot more.

Now into mainstream Europe

Power and Symphonic and Speed Metal(These genres were pioneered in European countries and as metal, these subgenres of heavy metal usually have little growling and have sung vocals) Good Examples are Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Rhapsody of Fire.

Electronic(A lot is developed in Europe and a large amount of Australian electronic guys found popularity in Europe before Australia. I listen to most of the Australian stuff here) Examples include Kraftwerk, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Midnight Juggernauts, Muscles. Have to explore the European scene more in the case of this genre.

Techno(Pioneered in Detroit but extremely popular in Europe, and is continued as a mainstream genre in Europe and has become an underground gem in Detroit music scene). Examples include Brooklyn Bounce, DJ Aligator, Black Lung, Derrick Mays, Cybotron.

Mainstream in America and Australia
    Rock(Do like most harder styles of rock), examples, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, The Cure, Ikon, Airbourne.

Pop(I'm not afraid to admit I like Aussie pop a lot more than American). No real examples here cause you all know what pop is.

Boy Band(I'm not afraid to admit that I do like some Australian boy bands) Not as much as I like European electronic and Techno and metal, but I don't mind them.

Rap(liked it when I was younger but it's dead now) examples 50 Cent, Ice Cube, Dr Dre, G-Unit, The Game, Ja Rule. Like I said early 2000s artists rather than modern.

Country: (Don't mind some American country music, and Aussie Country too) such as Big & Rich, Keith Urban and others

British Mainstream

Electronic(Most of the electronic scene is based here, a lot of artists and I'll just include the one French group just cause) Examples are: The Chemical Brothers, Lemon Jelly, Calvin Harris, Fatboy Slim and others (Daft Punk are the frenchies)

Now I wanna see really detailed looks into music likes, much like mine, you can label sections differently depending on your likes. Just make sure that you're music taste is a bit different to the rest of the world's, like perhaps you're American and you really like African styles, like maybe African Electronic music if they do have that or Japanese Electronic. And it should be varied as well but you will notice I don't like every genre of music, because don't mind is not exactly liking the music.

2. kem

kem

You mention Aussie Pop but you don't mention Architecture in Helsinki? I'm shocked. Their In Case We Die is one of the best pop albums (and any releases in general) I've ever heard.

In terms of my taste in music, well I guess I'm a generic indie music hipster so nothing special. I like vaporwave though, which is basically just samples from the 80's slowed down and chopped, mixed with electronic music.
    Chuck Person/oneohtrix point never and Macintosh Plus are the ones I've listened to, been searching for more.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I listen to gothic/post punk and 90's Visual Kei (Kote Kei). Not only do not many people listen to those genres anymore, but most of the bands I like are barely known.

Some examples of Japanese post punk:

Madame Edwarda (my favorite band)
    Phaidia
    Neurotic Doll
    La Madame Rochas

Kote Kei (please not this is NOT modern Visual Kei, which is overly-mainstream and lost original v-Kei's unique sound):

Madeth Gray'll
    Eliphas Levi
    Lar~Mia
    Missalina Rei
    D'elsquel (Kote Kei band with a bit of post punk influence)

My music taste is often far too out there for most people, as perhaps such music is an acquired taste, especially to non-Japanese

4. Justinian20

Kem, I forgot to mention Architecture in Helsinki(I do like them, they are very good, I enjoy listening to them. It's just I forgot.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

6. Justinian20

Also feel free to add any new music you may have listened to which you consider strange. I can say that I'm now listening to another European genre which goes by the name of Futurepop(Just imagine a more electronic version of synth pop)

7. SHSLAstrogeek

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I listen to a little of everything, so I'm sure at least some of what I listen to would be considered strange!

-Touhou Project

Actually a video game, but the music is absoulutely spectacular. I'd recommend Septette for the Dead Princess, U.N. Owen Was Her?, Necrofantasia, and Magus Night, but honestly it's all great. The fandom often arranges the music into vocal songs and instrumentals of every genre out there, so take a look around! I'm pretty sure there's some Touhou songs for everyone!

-Aural Vampire

Japanese darkwave group, though they sound extremely different from Western darkwave. Their music is supposedly inspired by sexually charged '80s horror movies, and the few translations of their songs I can find support this. Exo-Chika, the lead singer, has a very nice voice if you ask me, though it's probably not to everyone's tastes!

-Diablo Swing Orchestra

Swing metal is the best way I can describe it. Either way, it's fantastic and you should give it a chance if you like metal! I really like their female vocalist, though you'll likely dislike her if you don't like opera. Still, give it a try first!

-FEMM

I haven't listened to much of their music, but Fxxk Boyz Get Money is a masterpiece.

-The Heana Cat

Not really sure what genre they are. They call themselves 'tragic cute' and it certainly seems to fit! The best way I can describe it would be sorta like upbeat Bauhaus, but that's probably a bad way to put it.

-Rasputina

Rock, with cellos!! Great stuff, singer's a little monotone but the music's so good I don't care. I highly recommend the song Transylvainia Concubine

-Kokusyku Sumire

Really awesome caberet! The lead singer is trained in opera, I believe, though that could be incorrect. Their music is wonderful, Tim Burton approved!

8. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think having The Antlers 'Hospice' be the album that calms me down and makes me feel better is.. kinda odd.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll admit it. I like that. Very catchy beat.

I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan, but they do have some very sick beats. A young lady I knew, years ago, was really into them, and I received a nominal knowledge overhearing her.

Aural Vampire - "Preservative Woman"
    It didn't impress me in the beginning, but what kicks in. Mm. Sexy to the ears.

Aural Vampire - "Darkwave Surfer"
    Hands down, the sickest beat of theirs, I've heard. Definitely makes me want to dance.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Forgot to mention Gakidou (J-post punk) They're definitely out there.

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Off the top of my head:

Lisahall - Comatose
    If you can find the original version, youtube only seems to have a remix.

I have a soft spot for Tangerine Dream.

Not sure how 'strange' but:

Queen Adreena, The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Robots in Disguise have a following but a lot of people are put off by them initially, when I first heard them it sounded like someone had left toddlers unattended in the recording studio with a load of instruments but once you get past that they're pretty catchy.

12. AAASAS

Haha I am the king of obscure music. Basically noone I listen to is popular. Doesn't mean I don't like popular artists, I just don't tend to like them as much

Try some Glitch Hop if you like obscure music.

[youtube]tnmB5DfDXz8[/youtube]

[youtube]ultvItmRj1U[/youtube]

Or Glitch before it was even Glitch(This artist is actually famous, among hip hop heads, probs one of the most well known hiphop artists, he actually changed the sound of the genre, unlike Kanye West who just claims shit that isn't true)

[youtube]O5azBmHDQvY[/youtube]

or just some weird undefinable

[youtube]g4f16GDA_hU[/youtube]

#12 AAASAS, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  13. Truzoo

Truzoo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love maksim. His piano playing is killing me! Crazey

14. Justinian20

A new genre I'm listening to is neoclassical Dark Wave and Dark Wave(each genre just sounds great)

I guess I could overall say my favourite genres are orchestral and either sound epic or are just electronic and have actually got good beats.

15. Quiet Raven

I enjoy listening to Japanese Vocaloid music. Also the Megas.

Other then that, I mostly listen to video game music.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. :icon_bigg

17. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Eeeh I'm not sure if it's that weird but since a couple of people have pointed it out as of late I guess it's not very ordinary that 90% of the music I hear are scores for movies and games. More recently I have been listening to Gone Girl's OST and I showed a friend of mine this very particular track I really dig (The Way He Looks At Me) and for 30 silent seconds we just bewilderingly stared at each other like we were complete strangers because she couldn't understand how could I like that and I couldn't understand how could she not; we just agreed to never take music recommendations from each other so I guess my love for soundtracks is a little odd. On that note, I've also been listening to Cold In July's OST (really good stuff... well I think so).

Other than that, I adore chiptunes (Chipzel is my waifu) and I have yet to find a kindred soul on that regard either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#17 Rawrzilla, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  18. One Man Army

Have you heard of Aphex Twin? A very good artist that could be described as Dark Ambient.

Also, Boards of Canada are worth checking out. Some of their songs give off a creepy vibe.

19. Justinian20

I've listened to Aphex Twin, he's pretty good and he's also a pioneer of the ambient genre as well.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2014 at 10:07 AM ----------

Man I like chiptune a lot as well it sounds really good and although I don't know many of the artists I do like the genre, it's just that I don't really remember many of them except Gidropony and a couple of others.

#19 Justinian20, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  20. tulipinacup

Hmm I'm not so sure if mine is obscure but here are some examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xLQA1gTWbM
    Thee Oh Sees - Lupine Dominus - YouTube (not that obscure but i like how dirty the instrumentals are)
    Big Jackson - Love With You - YouTube chill wave
    "stay gold" - biro - YouTube oddly enough i first heard this from buzzfeed
    Night Drops - Up Dharma Down - YouTube this song is great to listen to after a long day from work and you're headed home as you play it on your car but it just gets odder and odder and you can't help but to dance along with it.
    Allah Las - Tell Me (What's On Your Mind) (Official Video) - YouTube very underrated band imo
    The Go! Team - Keys To The City - YouTube man this band are so fucking hyped that they only don't have one drummer but TWO.
    The Pauses - The Leap Year - YouTube