1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo Anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ImaJen, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ImaJen

Hey guys, so I was just wondering if anyone else is silly enough to write a novel in a month? It would be cool to cheer each other on and all that!

2. Ryujin

And so it begins....

I will, try at some point to get something done.

3. ImaJen

Cool, what's your novel about? I managed to smash the word count today, have no idea how I'm gonna keep that up.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been trying to participate during the past years, but have never been able to write more than a couple of pages if that. I will try it this again, but most likely I won't be able to write a full length novel.

5. ImaJen

Yeah, I know what you mean. For me I know that I'm the busiest I've ever been, and in the past I haven't been able to properly complete a novel, but it can't hurt to start with good intentions :slight_smile: what are you planning to write about?

6. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I heard about it a day before it began but it sounded pretty good, so I thought what the heck.... I had a couple of ideas in mind for short stories (fantasy) more or less in the same universe and so I've decided to see if I can somehow put them together in a bigger story.

Anyway, I haven't done much prep for it and already finished just under the daily recommended word count... As I'm going on vacation in November as well, I have no idea if I will pull it off... But I'm going to try and even if I get stuck at say 30000 or so, it will still have been worth it, I think.

7. ImaJen

Ooh that sounds cool! What I normally do is aim for 50,000 but have never hit that, and maximum have got to 25,000, which would not have happened if I'd aimed lower. I wish you luck!

8. Ryujin

I got no sleep last night so I spent the rest day doing nothing but sleeping pretty much. My novel is going to be philosophical science fiction regarding dictatorships. Along similar veins as 1984 but with a slightly different viewpoint.

9. ImaJen

Holy crap that sounds pretty deep, but cool :slight_smile: a little bit different to mine then, which follows the lives of a teenage brother and sister set in the real world. Don't know what they're really gonna do yet, will have to wait and see!

10. WhisperLoom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yessss! I love Nanowrimo! No idea what to write this month though. I completed one 50,000 worder in 2012 that was drivel-ly goodness :slight_smile:

I'd like to work with a genderbending sci fi storyline, but who knows.

11. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, if I don't lose the will to have way through.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally. It can definitely help to start with good intentions. :slight_smile:

I am not sure what I am going to write about, yet. I have been writing down some ideas recently, and trying to expand on them. One idea I wrote down involved a man, who has immigrated from England to live on a family estate on the Canadian prairies. Living on the estate has not helped him however to escape his past, which keeps coming back to haunt him.

13. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried it a few years ago and just couldn't get the time and motivation to follow through with it. I haven't had enough time to try it since then simply because I've been swamped with everything else going on. Maybe I'll be able to try again in a few years and actually get somewhere.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    NaNo, that evil thing, that addiction, that magic, my fingers are trembling, my coffee machine is steaming, you know you want it, you know you are bound to do it, come on, come on... :help:

:icon_bigg

Haven't started yet, but who knows... I do, tomorrow I'll need to get 3000+ :grin:

15. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    wth is dat???? :-o

16. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I'm not used to writing original fiction, mostly write fanfic which is somehow easier as a lot is already in place. But I do want to write my own stuff too so... My largest fanfic was somewhere around 25000 so I know I can write that much :wink: took me a lot longer than a month though... Good luck to you too!

It's this crazy thing where people try to write a novel of 50000 words in November... which is great if you can pull it off but even if you have less words, it will still have given you a real boost to write (if that's your kind of thing)

17. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm afraid I won't be doing it this year because of work and school and preparing to move. It's going to be the second year in a row I've skipped out. However, I'll probably be doing Camp Nanowrimo in April and if all goes well, I can try regular Nanowrimo next year.

18. ImaJen

NaNo's such a mammoth task I'm kind of regretting taking it on - already skipped out 2 days cos of life stuff and I won't be able to write again until Friday! Why did I decide to do this?!?!?

19. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was gonna do it this year, but I have too much going on this semester to get any time to actually sit down and write something decent.

20. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is a lot! My daily word count is definitely lower than it should be yet at the same time I've written a whole lot more than I would have otherwise, so I still feel it is worth it.