1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love interests in books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alt, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I finished yesterday book 1 and 2 of the Wretched of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler and recently started reading Soulless Gail Carriger. Both of these books have something that I recently found I detest, a potential love interest that has all of the personality traits the MC would find attractive yet for some reason they fall for someone else.

In Muirwood she somehow did not develop feelings for the one boy who treated her like other and taught her things. Yet she falls for the guy who was cross with her and a most sour companion for most of the first book and the middle of the second.

In Soulless the scientist converses quite well with Alexia, though somewhat brusque just like the Earl. She even complimented his choice for transportation and the furnishing.

Yet, because one of them is short and one is chubby they cannot be actual love interests. The MC has to overreach herself and go for someone more physically impressive and brooding.

2. iiimee

I think the main characters in books are often weak-willed and stupid. Sorry, but it's true! They always seem to make some stupid excuse not to fall for some of the most beautiful people, while the person they end up with hardly has to try. All they have to do is look pretty. I think most characters in books, and alot of people in reality, like those sort of people because they get to "play with fire". You know, if you play with fire you're going to get hurt.

3. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aye, or how they keep yearning for someone already has 55 stikes. Or how even the mot 'strong' 'independent' and 'headstrong' characters forget all of that when the love interest is near.

4. iiimee

Hmm, with the last one, I can imagine that being me in a book. It's simply because I am a very strong ambitious spirit, but I also want somebody who I can sink into their arms and cuddle with them. ^_^ I hate that little part of myself that wants a guy who'll just be nice and patient with me, but I am a sensitive soul in my heart, and despite my teasing and mildly aggressive nature, I don't blame characters to some extent for changing personality... Unless they let the other character do everything for them. That annoys me so much!

5. Duckling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a really good series lately where they didn't have any of that, and I was glad. It was very refreshing to have a nice cute little romance with characters that I liked. (Both the love interests and main characters! Each main character had a part where she bugged me, but they were overall good people with their flaws.)

What bugs me more than anything else, though, is when the main characters dump their friends because they got a boyfriend. Like, I'm glad that they're happy with their new relationship, but that's not an excuse to just ditch your friends. They still deserve attention.

6. iiimee

...This thread has grabbed my attention, and now I am stalking it. Lol, still I hate that too Duckling. I also hate when the side characters become less important because the main character dates, even if they're not ditched by them. Oh, and why are all the main romantic characters portrayed the same? Like, why can't they have some flaws?!

7. Duckling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    TFiOS was better about the flaws thing than most books. Augustus certainly has some flaws, but he's still a likable character.

8. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or how they don't tell anything to their best friend once they learn a few secrets. Like really? You can't tell the best friends that knows you stuff but the guy you just meet can be trusted with such a thing?

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in love with Prince Myshkin, the main character in Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Idiot. Not sure if that counts, lol.

10. antibinary

I hate love interests for a different reason. The fact is, the love interests, especially the female ones, have the fact that their the love interest as their defining trait. I mean what's the first thing you think of when you think of Gale, Peeta, Teresa, Rose Tyler, River Song, Emma (Earth to Echo), just look, at the tv tropes page Main/Love Interests - Television Tropes & Idioms

11. iiimee

You sir, are the reason people came to realize Twilight was bad *Bows down*

12. antibinary

13. iiimee

Yes, thank you!

14. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think the books are well-written, that far is true, but there are some good ideas in the plot. Though, Bella is one of the shittiest characters(main or not) ever to be written. I actually felt very confused on how Edward and Jacob managed to even like her... She has no personality, AT ALL!
    And I know I'll probably get a lot of crap for actually having read the books and sort of liked them, but hey... I've got my opinions as everybody else surely does.

15. antibinary

Who?