1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you like music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What type of music do you like, and WHY do you enjoy listening to it? Of course, it probably sounds good to you, but I'm talking about deeper and/or personal meanings! xD

For example, do any themes or moods persist in songs that you prefer?

Especially interested in answers from people with eclectic music tastes. Feel free to introduce us to a new genre of music. Extreme Metal is my typical jam. You might be surprised that I'm familiar with genres such as Darkpsy, Doomcore, Eurobeat, and Schranz. I've discovered new music genres, thanks to YouTube, and I believe many people listen to more music nowadays!

2. beyourself

beyourself Guest

I don't really have one music genre I like but many different. I enjoy listening to music because of the lyrics. Some songs have lyrics to which I can relate pretty well and if the singer can sing everything is perfect.

3. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can listen to almost anything, actually. Though, I'm more into Indie.

My favorite song is "Between The Bars" by Elliot Smith, and it's really depressive, to be honest, but I'll also listen to some more positive tracks... (i.e. I really like "La Vie en Rose").

As for your original question... "Why do you like music?" I'd say that it's because it expresses well emotions that words alone wouldn't do justice... ^^

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I like rock, especially alternative, and I'll try and explain why
    -I prefer male singers, and the genre has a lot of them. I guess I like how they can sing gruff groaning things, hit high notes, and beautiful muttering.
    -I like the diversity of alternative. You can have upbeat songs like No Rain, and "depressing" songs. There's also obviously heavier and lighter stuff. Pianos, violins, orchestras, even turn tables get incorporated into alt songs and it's awesome :grin:
    -Relatability. I love songs that a little bit vague so you can relate, but not so much that it becomes meaningless. While some of the stuff I listen to have garbage lyrics, a lot have stuff I relate to like maintaining individuality (ex. One Man Army), unrealistic standards set by society ( Supermans dead), and things like depression, social anxiety. IMHO nobody says "I'm so happy I need something to get me through this" :lol: When a song is relable to a difficult time for you, it makes you feel a little less alone.
    -Emotion. Especially 90s alt, it's not autotuned, so you can hear them straining to get to or keep a note. Singers like Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley sound like their in so much pain...damn

5. tulipinacup

I have to admit, I listen to music mainly because how catchy the song is but I can tell you that there were songs that speaks to me close to home. I think Frank Ocean said it best :
    "When you're happy you enjoy the music. But, when you're sad you understand the lyrics"
    which brings me to Fiona Apple's fourth album "The Idler Wheel..." I have been an avid fan of her and when she released her latest album, I hated it. I think there are some songs where in just a single beat, you already know that it's a song you don't mind listening to numerous times and there are songs in which you have to listen to it for the nth time to understand the point of the artist is trying to make.

That's what I think Fiona Apple wanted her fans/listeners wanted. This is not an album where you can enjoy listening to while doing laundry, knitting,reading a book, etc. It's an album where you have to listen using headphones and take note on the lyrics of the song.

There are other albums where it helped me get through with a break up (Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle) and a group where I never thought I would listen to because of their genre that is mixed with Rap and Metal (Death Grips - The Money Store). There's music where I learned to appreciate Hiphop (Digable Planets - Blowout Comb, A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory), There's music where it makes you feel so nostalgic (The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic), An album that proves music is a universal language (Devendra Banhart - Mala, Asa - Beautiful Imperfection) and Artists who showcase their talent in music without using any vocals (John Fahey, Yann Tiersen, Django Reinhardt, Nujabes)

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Different genres serve different purposes for me.

I listen to metal and heavy rock to drown my thoughts when they get too loud. I listen to hawaiian folk when I want to calm myself down. I listen to rap when im feeling cynical (this genre is extremely interesting, as it seems to be 60% bullshit and 40% calling people on their bullshit)

7. DinelodiiGitli

I only listen to music that makes me happy or helps me write/draw.
    I LOVE music, I probably listen two some form of it for at least three hours every day. Metalstep is my most recent genre discovery, thanks youtube. ^^;

8. whatsyourdamage

That is an INCREDIBLE song. Elliott Smith is amazing.

As for me, I usually like more alternative/indie kind of music, but the reason I love music so much is because of how it makes me feel. The bands and artists that are most special to me are the ones the evoke the most emotion.

9. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I like the different brain tingles different musics do

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Music is the universal language. I think it's probably the first "art" that modern humans partook in. Our gift of language is so remarkable when you consider the communications of other animals, and playing music in particular has been shown by researchers to "light up" more parts of the brain than almost any other activity.

Also, personally my interest in classical, folk, jazz, "world", etc. music allows me to work my brain out by recognizing patterns, harmonies, anticipating what might happen next, comparing to other songs I've heard, and just the beauty knowing that music is something that has to be experienced. It's like smoke or mist, ethereal compared to something more static like visual art.

#10 resu, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  11. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Between the Bars" is such a great song:slight_smile: I like music because it helps to drive my inner darkness out of me, because it understands me, and because it asks nothing more of me than to listen.
    "Not in That Way" by Sam Smith is like the story of my life right now. Do any of you know any good songs about wanting a girl really intensely?

12. Candace

Music that has a good beat/tune makes me think, relaxed, and happy :slight_smile:

House music, 80's music, 60's Motown, the Beatles, French pop, classic new hits, all are good.

13. Quiet Raven

The most important thing for me is good, meaningful lyrics. My favorite artist is neru. A Japanese vocaloid producer. Every song he makes is very meaningful, and real. Usually pretty depressing. Bullying, self loathing, suicide.

My absolute favorite song right now is "World Domination how to". I'll link 2 versions of it. The original, in Japanese with English subtitles. Which is very fast and rockish. And an English cover, done much slower. And sung by a real person.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkiXZ1jdTV0 (original)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqRo_tRo94 (English)

But sometimes I just feel like listening to a good rock song with lyrics that just make absolutely no sense. Like " no scared" by "One OK Rock"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qKW4lqj2cNU

14. paisleydaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Music is my favorite drug

15. candle

i like all sorts of music, it helps me escape from reality and it makes me happy

16. AAASAS

Music can alter your mood pretty quickly, and is proven to do so. That's why I like it.

I listen to everything basically.

The common theme I listen to is fusion. That is two genres or more mixed together. I like unique but still melodic sounds.

[youtube]0qMx6H53Pls[/youtube]

[youtube]ydX82aYz1hQ[/youtube]

and anything funky

[youtube]FHoJI4ff3VQ[/youtube]

17. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like listening to the popish rock bands, like imagine dragons or one republic. In some of their songs, it just seems to speak to me, like in demons. I can see my emotions expressed into that song, like it was written for me. I also like the music like brave, and something by christina perry. It's just really inspirational to me.

18. Burnedcloset

To helps me with my emotions. Songs can literally change my mood from happy to sad or vice versa. I also love relating to a song.

19. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jazz has an energy to it that no other music seems to achieve. Something about the connection of the musician to the instrument, with no editing or computers involved. I also love the feelings that instrumentals can give, or the stories that classical music can form.

When playing music myself, I enjoy it because it allows me to speak without having to talk.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best music IMO is the auditory analogue of classic literature. It affects you on multiple levels-- the superficial, like pop's catchy beats, the mood of the melody to convey broad emotions, and then the lyrics, which often say much more than that which immediately comes across.

Awhile ago I mentioned a number of songs on ZenMusic's thread. The one song that stands out most strongly to me (aside from anything by Billy Joel because I talk about him entirely too much) is Don McLean's "American Pie." The song is an epic of the modern age, packed with a movie's worth of imagery and the emotional ups and downs of an entire generation.

Background ambiance is great and has its place, but music has as much potential to touch one's soul as any other art form.