1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to watch Django unchained but I'm worried about the violence

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by stocking, Nov 8, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've seen other movies like Kill Bill but I don't know if I can stomach Django , I heard it's more violent than kill bill .
    Will I be ok

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Watch saw instead stocking! :badgrin:

You will be fine.. I've seen lots of horror movies in my time and none have killed me. Good luck with the movie chica!

3. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I don't know if you will be ok but be warned that it is probably Tarantino's most graphic and gratuitous movie to date. A fantastic movie nonetheless, and as usual with Tarantino the violence is so over the top is never meant to be taken seriously, but it is definitely there (in heaps and spades and galons).

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not really graphic, just quite bloody. Except for the scene when Django is in a really tough spot near the end, but that's only threatened violence, not actually visible.

5. 741852963

I don't think the violence was any worse than Kill Bill. As with Kill Bill its mostly very stylised with excessive blood spray etc, it doesn't look realistic - the more realistic stuff happens off screen or in very quick cut scenes. I think its more the element of slavery that makes the violence in it shocking, as that brutality obviously reflects what happened in real life. For that very reason its not always a comfortable watch, although the whole film is peppered with humour to compensate.

Have you seen Inglorious Basterds as to be honest they watch like identical films - just in different settings. I was a bit disappointed with Django for that reason, it felt like a bit of a lazy copy and paste job for Tarantino.

Its a solid enough film (the acting is very good from Foxx and the rest of the cast) but you aren't missing a massive deal if you feel you can't watch it.

6. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's violent, for sure. Some things are disturbing, but the characters recognize it. Great movie, but I can't watch it again for a while. Worth watching though

7. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't shocked by the violence at all. Didn't seem particularly out of the ordinary. It is a movie regarding black slaves in the 1850s, however, so it has about as much racist language and behavior as that would imply.

I suggest watching it, because Samuel L. Jackson put on an absolutely genius performance.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm gonna try and watch when I get netflicts . I want to see that movie when I tried to watch it all time I heard N word N word the whole time . I had to keep telling myself that's how they talked back then . :confused:
    it was like that N word is on a horse is that an N word , There's an N word in my shop . these here are my N words . I ain't seen no N word on a horse before that N words is wearing a cowboy hat . It was crazy .

#8 stocking, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

...I have a feeling you're gonna struggle with Django lol

10. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally liked Django, but I have no aversion to violence in films. I'm not exactly what you would call a gore-hound, either.

However, I will say that there are two parts of the movie that are ridiculously violent (even by Quentin Tarantino standards). Those are a fight between two half-naked black slaves (about half-way through the movie) and the climactic shootout towards the end.

I've seen "Kill Bill," "Reservoir Dogs," (my personal favorite) "Pulp Fiction," "Inglorious Basterds," and "Django Unchained." Django is the most violent of those by a good distance.

Also, don't expect an accurate portrayal of slavery. This is a Tarantino movie, so it is going to be stylized (not glorified, however) in a way that is not exactly reality. If you want to see a fairly accurate portrayal of slavery in a recent movie, than see "12 Years A Slave."

Although, my sick sense of humor almost makes me wish someone did a drinking game over every time someone says the n-word in "Django Unchained." XD

11. Rainbows~Exist

Even if you don't like violence it's worth the watch. Amazing film.

12. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

It's bloody brilliant :slight_smile:

As long as you can keep in mind all the gore is either prosthetics or cgi i.e. fake then it shouldn't be too bad. Plus it's mostly over the top stuff and can come across as a bit slapstick. Although there area couple of scenes you could say make you wince.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Lol :roflmao:

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 11:41 AM ----------

Yeah there needs to be that every time someone says the N word Drink up , I'm gonna be really drunk after that . I saw 12 years a slave by the way .

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

It scared me because they shot the horse , that horse didn't do anything wrong . :tears:

#13 stocking, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. Shazam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's very violent and bloody, but a very good movie. Shit's mad hilarious and has some hilariously memorable quotes in it. Both Samuel & Jammie had me crackin' up with some of the stuff they said. Acting was brilliant, loved the story. It's an all around amazing movie.

15. Q-Tip

Its a movie that I feel a lot of people don't give Tarantino enough credit for. Has a really dark underlying theme to this spaghetti western mask wearing movie

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was actually the only part in the movie which truly disturbed me. The two guys are forced to fight to the death through pain and exhaustion, causing gruesome injuries to each other, and for what? Some sick bastard's entertainment. And entertained he was; he was cheering and howling like a man possessed throughout the entire fight.

It sheds light on how far we have to go as a species.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sounds disturbing .:icon_sad:

18. soulcatcher