1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Harry Potter Do You Like Best?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Robert, Nov 9, 2014.

?

Which is your favourite Harry Potter?

1. Philosophers Stone

2.8%
  2. Chamber of Secrets

22.2%
  3. Prisoner of Azkaban

13.9%
  4. Goblet of Fire

19.4%
  5. Order of the Pheonix

19.4%
  6. Half-Blood Prince

13.9%
  7. Deathly Hallows Part 1

2.8%
  8. Deathly Hallows Part 2

5.6%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like No.2 The Chamber of Secrets the best because: First of all, I like the ones that are mainly set in the school... Secondly Ron, Harry and Hermione are friends right off the bat (unlike No.1 The Philosiphers Stone)... Thirdly there are no annoying relationships with Cho or Ginny... Fourth the main bad guy is Voldemort and you learn a bit about him through the Diary which is fun... Fourth Harry fights a giant snake with a cool sword. Although, I've got to admit, I have to look away when Ron accidentally curses himself and ends up puking up slugs! :O

I also really like No.5 Order of the Pheonix and my least favourite is 4.The Goblet of Fire.

Which is your favourite Harry Potter and why?
    Which is your least favourite?

#1 Robert, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Blossom85

I quite liked chamber of secrets as well, it was well done and well written and you learned a lot of backstory as well.

Other then that, I like goblet of fire second best.

3. Burnedcloset

Ok I have to say I'm split between two of them. I loved the philosophers stone when I was younger. Now I love the deathly hallows. There both so good.

I'm gonna say a tie between those two

4. Hexagon

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chamber of Secrets for sure. I don't know if that's just me, but I find Philosophers Stone, Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban the best ones. 2001-2004, it somehow was more magical? I don't know, well, HP is amazing I can't deny, all of it was good, but I felt like after these three movies, something went missing.

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chamber of Secrets for me too! It has a twist- a good one! Everyone likes a twist.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, Chamber of Secrets is so good because it has like 3 different main monsters in it and you feel like Ginny really could die.

8. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of them.

9. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Too difficult to choose, I like goblet of fire a lot, chamber of secrets, but also the half blood prince and deathly hallows, so yeah, there you go...

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Oh boy this is one to think about. I'll do this in separate list because the books and movies are in many ways entirely different Beasts.

Books~ Goblet of Fire > Prisoner of Askaban > Chamber of Secrets = Order of the Phoenix = Sorcerers Stone = Deathly Hallows > Half Blood Prince

Movies~ Order of the Phoenix = Prisoner of Azkaban > Chamber of Secrets > Sorcerers Stone >>> Hallows Part 1 > Hallows Part 2 > Half Blood Prince >>>>> Goblet of Fire

For the books I do like most of them equally therefore this list was pretty close. One thing that makes the series unique to me is that it just so happened I started reading around the same age Harry is in the first book, and eventually finished it off in my late Teen years, again around the same age Harry is, by the time it ends. As I said I like alot of the books about the same so I'll keep it brief with just the reasoning for my favorite and least favorite. For Goblet, it marks a major turning point and shift in tone for the series, that sticks until the very end. As the middle book I feel it pulled this off perfectly and was overall the highest stakes and most exciting entry in the saga yet when it was new. The speech Dumbledore gives at the end is beautifully written and the main reason Goblet stands out as my favorite book. Half Blood Prince, while I still enjoyed it very much, Is just the one that's the least memorable for me. Aside from the ending, which was amazing and powerful, (even moreso in the movie, for me, but I'll get to that) nothing about it really sticks out to me.

For the Movies, I chose Order of the Phoenix as my favorite which to some may come off as an unusual choice. My reasoning is 1st off, I feel it's the most Tragic of them all and anyone who knows me knows I love movies, shows and books that make me fucking miserable. Second, Sirius is my favorite character and alot of his shining moments come in this one. I especially love Gary Oldman's performance as him, I think he really brought alot to the character and made him even more likeable and sympathetic than he was in the books. Third, its one of the few movies in this series, (along with the first 2.. and 3 I guess) that really translated well into a movie IMO. I was following the plot, getting invested in the characters, it all just flowed and fit together seamlessly for the most part which is something, that for me, most all of the later movies lack. With Half Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows 1 and 2, and especially Goblet of Fire, it really shows that you're getting only half the original story from the books, while Phoenix, as I remember it, actually pulled it off nicely. Goblet, (ironically) is my least favorite movie because it just didn't capture much of what I loved so much about the book. Several characters are cut out of the story or have greatly reduced roles, certain scenes felt out of place or didn't really explain themselves well, and in general it just felt sloppy.

My favorite part from any of the books is, as I said, Dumbledore's speech at the end of Goblet. Dumbledore himself is just awesome and well written and my second favorite character after Sirius. My favorite part from any of the movies, is literally any scene with Alan Rickman as Snape, because he is amazing and completely transformed what that character is in my mind. One scene in particular does stand out to me..
    [youtube]kdwBnYntuFQ[/youtube]
    because, so much is conveyed with only a few words, and facial expressions. I'm sure anyone who's followed Snape's arc until the end, understands exactly what I'm referring to here.

I have alot more I could say about this series on both fronts, but I'll leave it at this for now :wink: Oh and I did vote for Phoenix just cause I somehow feel like I'll be the only one.

#10 kageshiro, Nov 9, 2014
  11. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Prisoner Of Askaban will always be my favourite :slight_smile: Probably because Sirius. :slight_smile:

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Order of the Phoenix was the most interesting and exciting one for me. It's when the series really grew up, and the sprawling battle in the Ministry was really creepy and imaginative.

13. kem

kem

I like the one where DUMBLEDORE DIES

nah just kidding, I think my favourite is the fourth, the tri-wizard tournament was thrilling, not to mention the stuff with old voldy at the end. Order of the Phoenix is the first book I had to wait for though. I ended up reading the 1000-page behemoth in 3 days.

if I spoiled the series for you, sorry. not sorry.

#13 kem, Nov 9, 2014
  14. Candace

The Chamber of Secrets :slight_smile:

15. Thedistra

Movie wise Order of the phoenix. Least favorite being chamber of secrets. I just don't get into re-watching it, when I re watch the others all the time.

I love all the books but prefer 5+.

16. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I Liked the Deathly Hallows, hard to choose what part I liked better.

17. Notlad

Best book was Order of the Phoenix. My favorite movie may have been Goblet of Fire.

18. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Book: Half-Blood Prince
    Movie: Chamber of Secrets

IMHO I feel like the movies got way too angsty after PoA. CoS I feel was probably the last one where I felt amazed by Hogwarts. There was castle exploration and side characters and subplots, and you could just feel the heart of the movie. The characters were developed very well, regardless of their importance. The humour was also very well done in this film, the characters were strong, and the battle scene was badass.

Movies past the PoA felt a little less extraordinary in their representation of the universe. I mean, the magic was still there, but it just wasn't as full as in the first few films. Don't get me wrong, I understand that the series did get a fair bit darker as the kids grew up, and they couldn't focus on the universe forever (as they actually had a fucking story to tell) but seeing scenes like the Quidditch World Cup go on screen seriously underwhelmed me, and fell a little flat. It felt more observational than immersive. HBP, my favourite book in the series, also felt a little underdone. They skipped out on way too many important Harry/Snape scenes, and the reveal of the half-blood prince felt kinda poorly built-up to. However, I will say that the humour was masterfully done in this film as well.

Although the last two movies in the series are my least favourite, I've got to say that they were probably the best out of the later films at recapturing that feeling of immersion. Probably because it had two movies to span all of the details over.

tldr: No matter where I was reading in the series, I constantly felt a sense of wonderment; so why isn't it like that with all of the films? :wink: And grumbling aside, the films are a great adaptation.

19. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The deathly hallows . I think it was made really good, and i like the added tension to it. I also like how it put them back into Hogwarts for the final batte.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I don't really like Harry potter.