1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strait people playing LGBT characters

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TrueHeartZ, Nov 14, 2014.

1. TrueHeartZ

I've heard of people being upset about strait people playing LGBT characters in the media. I've never really thought much about it until I heard people talk about the fact it takes roles away from LGBT actors. I have never thought about this until now. I personally think it is ok and see nothing wrong with it, but i figure who better to ask then other LGBT people. What do you think of strait actors playing LGBT characters?

#1 TrueHeartZ, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Burnedcloset

Why not? I mean that would be like saying "gay people can't play straight characters." It's taking away the straight people roles.

We can't have double standards.

3. 741852963

No problem with straight actors playing gay - it is acting afterall. The second we state that only gay actors should get to play gay characters, we would have to concede that only straight actors should get to play straight characters save us being hypocrites - and that would vastly reduce the number of roles available to gay actors.

Its a little different with disabled actors though, as naturally certain disabilities can prevent a person being able to take on an "able role" (for instance you wouldn't really have someone in a wheelchair playing Jason Bourne). In this case a physically disabled actor's options for roles are more limited, so it seems a little unfair for these roles to be hogged by able actors with an open market available to them.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't see an issue with it

5. Yosia

I'm fine with it. I can see why people would prefer an LGBT actor play the role but I would choose the better actor.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't understand why people care. Let straight actors play LGBT and LGBT actors play straight. It's ACTING, does it really matter?

7. thekillingmoon

As long as they're picking actors based on their acting talent and not their orientation, it's fine. Just cause someone is lgbt doesn't mean they'd make the best actor for the role.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care. Y'know in praryers for bobby the people who played bobby and David are both straight in fact the only gay person in real life was the leader of the support group that bobbys mom goes to shortly after bobby died also the last who plays it in the movie was 60 at the time she looked great for her age.

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's called "acting" for a reason...

10. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's perfectly fine. There LGBT actor that play straight parts and they're crazy good at it! I mean, look at Matt Bomer, Neil Patrick Harris and Ian Kellen... They're some of my favorite actors and I think they never played someone whose sexual orientation is the same as theirs :icon_bigg

11. whatsyourdamage

It's acting! It shouldn't be at all offensive.

12. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are actors playing a "character" whether it may be straight, gay, bad guy or good guy. Its like saying a good person playing a villain is taking away a bad person's job. It doesn't make any sense. Although if it was a white dude playing a black guy that maybe "controversial" lol

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It honestly sounds like people are just butthurt.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, sort of reverse-discrimination or people trying to find something to be offended at. There's no reason in the world a straight person can't play a non-straight person in media.

15. LimitedClear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about straight people ROLEplaying LGBT characters? As in... Fanfiction or admin of a Character based page on Facebook, things like that?

I'm about 90% sure I'm not straight, but I am female, and yet my favorite activity is to roleplay as a gay man. My partner and I write intense roleplays with a lot of drama and quite a bit of smut. I just cannot write heterosexual smut, even though I have actual experience with it, because it was too awful. I haven't tried to write lesbian smut yet, but have started a story arc which will test my ability.

Does anyone have a problem with people who WRITE for a sexuality that isn't theirs?

16. antibinary

The problem people have is that it's like getting a white person to play a black person which is considered racist, and the media have a horrible habit of avoiding people who aren't white, straight, cisgender, middle to upper class, able bodied, neurotypical men unless it's plot convinient. And even then you will very very rarely get someone who is deviant in two categories.

17. LibraryLass

LibraryLass Guest

I don't see a problem with it either. Its only acting for Pete's sake! It would be a complete double standard too, if we applied this logic to LGBT actors who have played straight roles, as well. Share the love, I say (in every possible way). :slight_smile:

18. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I was reading reviews on Netflix of some LGBT movies and so many of the professing lesbian reviewers were saying (about the acting) "you can tell its straight people trying to act gay because no lesbian would kiss like that" or "no lesbian would do ________"

So dumb.

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm ok with it as long as the character their playing portrays gay people right .
    Meaning if it's a lesbian movie don't try to pass a bisexual female character off a lesbian portray her as a bisexual . I think that's more of the writer's fault than the actor .

20. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'd say I'm not worried about the actor and their personal sexuality/gender status, that's just discrimination... I just don't want the character to be a personal representation of the authors own bigoted idea of an LGBT+ person... or the blatant subject of the authors one sided ridicule... :dry: