1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A shocking music video

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Nov 15, 2014.

1. 741852963

I was just flicking through the TV channels and I caught this music video. Clearly marketed towards teenage girls, a typical catchy air pop song.

But the campy video depicts the girl group as being empowered by disfiguring a man by tattooing his face, obviously against his will (given the group are shown being arrested and due to the look on his face when identifying them), and then taunting him about it. His crime to warrant this assault? Presumably just being superficial or a cheater - having a "ugly heart". Now lets just point out it is nearly impossible to remove tattoos without causing some degree of scarring.

[YOUTUBE]G.R.L. - Ugly Heart - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Now music videos today are often tasteless and crass, but I'll question this - would we ever see the reverse of this situation? A tongue-in-cheek video where a male boy-band carry out an acid attack against a superficial female lover? Think it would fly? No matter how campy it was played it would be (rightly) banned from TV and YouTube instantly.

I just think what a terrible message this sends out to the young girls buying into it - that violence against men is OK or a laughing matter. Shocking.

2. antibinary

You're right, this is wrong. However the male version of women being assualted is done all the time and doesn't get banned. It get's a lot of complaints, but nothing is done officially.

3. Quiet Raven

To be honest... Whether it is women doing it to men, or men doing it to women, I don't see it as a big deal. I mean it is just a music video.

But as to your question: would this be allowed if the roles are reversed? I would have assumed yes... But if not, yeah there is definitely something wrong. If this is allowed but not that. And the unfortunate thing is, I really wouldn't be extremely surprised if that is the case...

4. 741852963

I've never seen a music video featuring violence from a man against a woman that is done showing it in a positive light (unless you count a slap of a stripper's backside in a hip hop video).

Now there is a lot sexualising women and treating them like meat, but never physical violence in a chirpy pop song shown in a positive light towards the man (him being rightfully empowered by it). Now the only example vaguely close I can think of would be Animals by Maroon 5 which features inferred stalking - but its painted for what it is (sinister and disturbing), not in a positive light. "Stan" by Eminem? Again, its shown to shock and be disturbing.

5. ChameleonSoul

I don't care what the gender of the victim or the perpetrator are, something like this should be banned. To show someone being mutilated in a positive pretty much gives a thumbs up to young, impressionable kids who will think that it's socially acceptable to mess up someone's face. It's things like this that prove that there's something wrong with the world! :tantrum:

Sorry for my rant, things like this just get me aggravated.

6. 741852963

I thought I was over-reacting as this is just a pop video, but it is precisely because this is a pop video that it becomes so shocking.

This would be a nasty enough thing to depict in a Guy Ritchie gangster film (at least there it might reach an "appropriate" audience), but in a pop video probably aimed at 11-16 year old girls it's just vile.

It's essentially sending out the message to young girls that in order to be empowered or sexy you must belittle or humiliate men. It's misandry plain and simple.

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Girls get away with stuff the same way boys get away way with other stuff.
    Didn't Eminem just sing about beating Lana del Ray just like Ray Rice beat his wife?
    There are countless examples of how society glorifies violence of men against women.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, sorry, I don't see this as a big deal, and I've posted several threads about misandry and "reverse sexism". But for some reason, this isn't doing anything for me. Maybe it's because there are so many mainstream songs where women are called bitches, whores, "tricks", sluts and appear in music videos as nothing more than eye candy that this seems pretty tame, especially given that they are being taken into police custody for what they did. It was somebody's attempt to be cute and surprising (i.e. the ending was supposed to be a "twist") that came off a little weird, but it doesn't bother me.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know it's just me but it pisses me off ,and even disgust me that some women think they have to hate men or treat them bad to be empowered .
    I once had a girl tell me admires me for being lesbian, because I was resisting men in some way .I just say Look I just only like women that's how it works I don't have to feel that way about men .
    You don't have to hate men to be strong as a woman that concept is just stupid ,and women need to stop doing this BS and people on the tv need to stop showing this garbage .

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait... Where was the acid attack? Cause all I saw was marker writing "ugly" all over his face... I didn't even see any violence in the video at all o.o So am I missing the point here?

I mean, as retaliations go that's gotta be the most minor I've ever seen... I can see the boy band comparison to this group though, they certainly remind me of a boy band. Still though, there is nothing here that's ban worthy to me.... For god sake if the Blurred Lines music video by Robin Thicke is okay on youtube than what is wrong with this exactly? I think the most shocking thing in this video were some of the bizarre outfits but even those are pretty mild. They just make me think of terrible futuristic clothing from an 80's movie! :lol:

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to admit I didn't watch the video , because I thought it was bad .