1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQI in Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CJliving, Nov 22, 2014.

1. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I've never been very in touch with pop culture, even moreso now that I'm a)not in school and b)living in Japan. But I was remembering way back when I was in school that I wrote an essay for Women's Studies about LGBTQI in tv and how it was getting to a "good" place for representation.

Just wanna know what people think about that. Favourite shows? Shows/characters you find offensive? General representation in tv and movies?

2. Harve

I feel like gay people are well represented but I don't think that's so true for other sexualities. That might just be the stuff I watch though, which isn't that much.

Lost had an enormous cast that was almost entirely hetero except for one minor character, and I thought the creator's could've made someone queer, even if it was incidental and didn't form any story arc. But it's not an issue that affected my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

To be honest I'm more bothered about female representation in cinema, and how so many films fail the Bechdel test while so few fail the male equivalent.

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha! I completely agree with you about the Bechdel test!

What else do you watch btw? (I've never seen Lost, definitely didn't know there were any non-hetero characters.)