1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your favorite gay song???

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wildside, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Wildside

Wildside Guest

What's your favorite gay song? or bi, or trans, or queer, or fluid, or you tell me song. The question is meant to be totally inclusive, I just said "gay" to make it short, and because I'm gay and that's just where I'm at. But the point of the question is what song do you most identify with, or enjoy, or find expresses your secuality, or just brings some fond memories? And what's the story that goes along with that song, in your life?
    Mine is "Walk on the Wild Side," by Lou Reed. The song came out when I was 16, back in 1972. The first time I heard it, I was sitting in my sister's car while she and her husband were in some store. I heard it, and fell in love with it. When they came back, I asked them if they had heard that gay (or whatever word we used back then) song by Lou Reed. When I said the name of the song, they said that they loved the song but that they couldn't understand why I thought that was a gay song. Of course, the next time they heard it on the radio (you couldn't download it back then), they realized what I was talking about.
    It's funny, I was so deeply in the closet and in denial at age 16, but I really knew that I was gay, I liked boys, I wanted to "do things" with boys my age, and I was thrilled listening to that song. Like something secret inside me had made it into the popular media. Just another thing that has changed so much in my lifetime! But I still love that song. It's just so cool. Remember, it was written in 1972, but his heart was definitely in the right place.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat is high on my list.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

wow, what a great music video! I had never heard of it before, so I had to google it. really powerful. did it have some personal meaning for you, or do you just think it's a cool song/video?

4. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Candy Yum Yum by Kevin Mikal

The gayest music video you will EVER see!

5. BelleFromHell

I love "Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. It makes me cry...

I also love "Magnet" by Megurine Luka and Hatsune Miku. There's also a gay-male version of it by Kamui Gakupo and Kaito.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Not exactly my favorite... but, since i lack basic LGBT culture and mostly listen to... "not gay songs" (seriously, gay song...?!)... I don't know what else to add, hope this qualifies
    [YOUTUBE=d-2kv_0H5dg]I Want Your Bite[/YOUTUBE]

7. Heather Marie

I don't know if it's a gay song but the song fits me Dolly Parton "Travelin Thru".

8. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    tell me a story by Skylar Kergil
    or the untitled song Elliott DeLine wrote about Leslie Fienberg

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, probably All The Things She Said. ^.^

I just listened to it. It's good! ^.^♥

10. KingDavey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was just about to say that!

11. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    I always really liked the sensual, Drive by Melissa Ferrick

12. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Girls/Girls/Boys by Panic! At The Disco. It's basically a song about bisexuality and how sexual orientation is not a choice.

13. Just Jess

"Come on Eileen" as sung by Save Ferris

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The lyrics and how the voice of Somervilles voice express them. Yeah, personal story behind it, ten years ago or so, when I came to the city and started to go outside with gay friends. I would have enjoyed myself a lot under another set of circumstances, but I can't complain, to party with them was more than enough :icon_wink I saw the video later, but I'm not much into Somerville, just his voice.

Another song is YMCA, I know all the moves : Been dancing to it since I was a child (!) :grin:

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

this is great! I'm putting together a fantastic play list from all these favorites. Most of them I had never heard of, and they're all great! I can't believe I forgot about "YMCA" by the Village People. That was a real classic, and broke some barriers back in the day. And to that I will add "In the Navy," also by the Village People. A couple of funny stories about that song. One was that my mother loved the song because I was "in the Navy" at the time. I guess that song applied to me in more ways than just that LOL! When I explained to her what the song was about, she was a bit dumbfounded, didn't have a clue. That was the funny thing about the Village People. A lot of people were so clueless about gay stuff back then that it all just went over their heads as they bumped and grinded and made letters with their arms and bodies to go with the song. OK, second funny story abut "In the Navy." I was in the Navy on a ship at Naval Station San Diego. Someone in the Navy Recruiting Command thought that they could make a cool recruiting advertisement using that song, with the Village People starring. Kind of a music video, though I don't think that term existed back then. And the Navy was so homophobic and persecuted gays that it was in no way intentional. So they came to the Naval Station to film the Village People performing the song on the USS Reasoner, which was on the same pier as my ship. The "scuttlebutt" was that they had to rush the band off the ship because they kind of got out of control. "Out of control," reportedly, included two of the guys having oral in the head (Navy word for bathroom, though uniquely appropriate in this case). As I was not in the head with them, I can't vouch for whether or not they really were doing the deed. But I can vouch for the story going around, which if nothing else reflects the extreme homophobic culture that existed in the Fleet back then. It was in the USN that I came to realize that the most homophobic guys were probably battling their own sexual issues.

16. Hiems

Same Love - Macklemore
    Latch (Acoustic) - Sam Smith

Okay, Latch doesn't have pronouns, so it's technically not a gay song... but Sam Smith is gay, if that counts haha. The original is alright, but the acoustic version gets me so emotional >.<

17. Rainbow Kitty

Secrets by Mary Lambert. In the song she sings about how she doesn't care if everyone knows her secrets, and she mentions her homosexuality.
    So, I relate to it. :slight_smile:

18. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    YMCA is a classic haha. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Born This Way by Lady Gaga, that song is awesome.

19. star trek

Same Love - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. It made me cry, as well.

Girls/Girls/Boys - Panic! At the Disco.
    I love Panic! and I fell in love with this song with it first came out.
    "A lot of times people want to label something just to make themselves feel comfortable. They wanna call this person gay or this person straight. I have had similar experience with homosexuality, with bisexuality, and that's something I feel comfortable talking about.
    It's not something anyone should have to hide, and that goes along with the message of the song, that it's important to know who you are, to be able to be proud of that, and have the courage behind your convictions. People can say whatever they want; it doesn't matter unless you let it affect you." - Brendon Urie, talking about his song "Girls/Girls/Boys"

Magnet - Vocaloid (I've only listened to the Miku and Luka one)

20. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever heard of Little Games by Benny?