1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you think of Interstellar *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BornAnew, Nov 25, 2014.

1. BornAnew

I just came back from seeing it & couldn't find a thread dedicated to the movie!!!

I personally really enjoyed it.

Some really interesting ideas were brought up & it was visually astounding at points. I liked how the story stayed true to a lot of the themes in the movie (such as at the end Murphy letting her father go and continue to be who he is...an explorer...of course him having to see her die would suck too but I feel like she knew he still had a lot of life left to live).

There were some really touching moments in the movie & the robot had a great personality!

Anyway despite all this I think it's still one of Nolans weakest movies. It could have been better told in parts for sure!

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really enjoyed it! The only part that I struggled with a little was how humanity had built these huge space stations with crop producing soil inside while they were away. It sort of... took the urgency out of the quest a little!

I agree, it wasn't his best movie, but with a record as great as his, it's still brilliant.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I loved the visuals more than anything. It was pretty good at showing something both familiar and foreign. The "survivors" stories reminded me of Oklahomans talking about the Dust Bowl and famine here, so I related to that a lot. Also, it's interesting how a drone got into the story. I don't think even 10 years ago people would have considered drones to be so important.

The overall theme was pretty good and easy to follow, but I'm biased since I knew most of the science concepts. It was like a space opera version of Inception. That said, I didn't like how neatly all the plot holes were filled. I wanted to learn more about the blight since I'm a biochemist (in that sense, I think some virus or whatever would kill this thing). The robots reminded me of Star Wars droids, and their sarcasm was nice but out of place (why would "android marines" even have such a personality?).

4. clownbaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I loved the first section on Earth and the relationship between him and his daughter, but it was a bit too long for the cinema, especially once you add in adverts and trailers. Some really visually stunning scenes though, the massive wave has stayed in my mind even though I saw it a few weeks ago. I actually preferred it to The Dark Knight Rises, I found it really disappointing after enjoying the first two films. Also, actress that played Murphy as a child was very good.

5. lilrocket

I thought Interstellar was fantastic, just a very ambitious and inspired film. For me, it was Christopher Nolan's best work! I haven't been a fan of his normally. I thought it the most emotionally and intellectually impactful piece he's done, and, I'd think.. like, for sure one of my favourite movies of 2014. I think the best made film of 2014 for me, with Calvary, a great Irish film with Brendan Gleeson. I also really loved Lego Movie, and this lesbian themed one Life Partners (though kinda high on that after watching it just a couple days ago)

6. clownbaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just saw Gone Girl before Interstellar and loved it, so nothing seemed like it could compare to that, definitely my favourite of 2014 so far. Definitely need to see Life Partners though.

7. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rad movie. I love things like this.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought it was fascinating and thought-provoking.