1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible Sequels

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kaiser, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You know what I'm talking about:

A movie comes out, does exceptionally well, and then the movie studios start pumping out sequels. Typically unnecessary ones, which, usually, happen to be garbage.

So, what are some sequels you found unlikable, or just flat out terrible? If you think a sequel, somehow, is superior to the original, then, feel free to share that.

2. RadioRoss

The Amazing Spiderman 2....that one was just like, a comedy it was so bad.

#2 RadioRoss, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I seriously read the title of this thread as "Terrible Squirrels"!
    Which would have been epic.

So many to choose from! I'm going to stick with terrible sequels I know and love: Jaws 3 and Jaws: The Revenge.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Now I'm ashamed, that I didn't make it that!

You bastard! You stole two of mine, LOL!

Well, the good news is, you're going to like my formal reply, to this thread; when it happens.

5. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 recently and it's really bad. The bedroom dancing scene is so 80's it's painful. The whole 'gay subtext' is pretty hilarious though!

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You mean this?

LOL.

7. Justinian20

Sequels that are bad mmm, very delicious. A lot of modern movies have bad sequels, I consider some older sequels to be better than the current batch of movies with sequels. Excepting of course horror movie sequels which were bad just because they were the same as the original but with different deaths. Maybe Halloween 2, Rob Zombie version of the movies. Transformers had a bad sequel, a lot of the movies today that have sequels are bad excepting the Hobbit which I am a sucker for because of the fantasy genre I love so darn much.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I had a big thought out reply to this but im sleepy as hell so im gonna end this thread right here and say titanic 2

Ok I dont think thats actually a sequel but still lol

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Kageshiro~!

You get back here, and post a 'big thought out reply', right now, mister!

10. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, that's the one! Words cannot describe it...............:icon_bigg

11. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it also includes terrible squirrels. :wink:

12. mangotree

Worse than the orginal: Most of the Transformers sequels, all of the Never Ending Story sequels, all of the Lion King sequels, the Return of Jafar (Aladdin sequel), Greace 2 (so bad that it's good), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles.

Better than the original: LOTR, The Hobbit, Shrek 2, Return to Oz (just my personal preference), Greace 2 (so bad that it's good)

13. White Knight

Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

Actually there should be more but those two popped into my mind as I watched several klips from Batman and Robin.... Nippleeeeeessss.... :eek:

14. willycubed28

Halloween 3 comes to mind. It had nothing to do with the series and I wished it had never been made. Jaws 4: The Revenge. The shark looked fake unlike the others one in my opinion. I know Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was mentioned but it was worth rementioning. I did not like the story whatsoever. I wish that they would have brought Nancy back for the 2nd one. They could have done so much more with her in the 2nd movie than bringing in a character who I could have cared less for.

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to go alphabetical order here which is just as well because the first on the list is the one that annoys me the most.

Addams Family Reunion

Nobody seems to remember this one and quite rightly. The parts of it I do remember I wish I could forget. The premise is stupid. The characters poorly cast and written. I understand that re-casting was required for various reasons but it just doesn't work. Wednesday loses her creepiness once Christina Ricci is no longer the one playing her. Tim Curry is usually a good actor but as Gomez he's unpleasant to watch. But the worst part is that Morticia and Gomez seem to be going through some unspoken marital crisis because there is NO chemistry, not an ounce of passion between them. That's just wrong, if they aren't all over each, if Gomez isn't kissing his way up his wife's arm every chance he gets, that is UTTERLY wrong! (Can you tell this film pissed me off?)

An American Tail straight-to-video sequels.

An American tale was one of my favourite childhood films. It is beautifully sad and poignant for a kids animation. Fievel Goes West was ok in its own right, not the same but still watchable. After that just don't even bother.

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem.

The first A vs P was SO good. But Requiem is one of those films you just can't even pay attention to. Even if you could, you wouldn't know what was going on because it's too dark to see anything.

Batman and Robin

You already know my feelings on this one Kaiser, lol. I won't go on too much about it because you'll surely scathe it better than I could. So I'll just say that Batman Forever began the downward decline of the series and once it gets to the nipples on Batman's costume in this one you know it's gone to hell.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

This films one redeeming feature is that it intentionally self-parodies, which makes for a few good laughs. These gremlins still have their anarchic habits but it's lost it's charm and becomes annoying instead mostly. Plus the change in setting from a quaint little sleepy Christmassy town to a cold heartless corporate building in the city rips the soul out of the story.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

No Michael Myers, instead we get a daft plot involving a company that wants to kill off loads of kids with enchanted Halloween masks. Oh and also an advert jingle repeated again and again that is so irritating I'm surprised those kids weren't ripping their own faces off long before Halloween even arrived.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Pinhead just becomes ridiculous in this.

Insidious: Chapter 2

The first film showed promise, it had some genuinely creepy moments. This one I saw at a friends house a few months ago and it's another one of those that you just can't even pay attention to. The only thing that caught my focus was the ridiculous make-up.

Jurassic Park sequels.

The only one not totally dreadful is The Lost World, it has the brilliant Julianne Moore. That scene where a kid tells his parents there is a dinosaur in the garden and they then start having a petty argument over whose fault it is he has nightmares, only to be shocked to discover that yes indeed, there is a fucking dinosaur outside, thank you very much disbelieving parents just had me laughing so much.

A Nightmare on Elm Street various sequels

Again, I'll let Kaiser cover this one.

Pet Sematary II

Just awful. 'Nuf said.

Poltergeist sequels.

Just goes steadily downhill after the chilling classic that was the original. 'They'rrrre baaaack!' Fucks sake.

Sequels SUPERIOR to the original:

Just a couple here that spring to mind after burning all the above.

Addams Family Values

In my opinion better than the first one. Mainly because of the children having to go to camp. Watching this as a child I identified with Wednesday in that situation: the quiet morbid one forced to mingle with the normals. I loved it when she lead the outcast kids in a take-over of the camp. Plus there is poor naive Fester so wanting to have the love story his brother has but ending up with Debbie, who just wants to kill him and take his money.

Batman Returns

Despite the downturn the later films took, the second was the best. I do like the first, especially Jack Nicholson playing unhinged so well as he does. But this one just has so much going for it. For one the visual style has a macabre allure, even the silly bits look pretty cool. Selina Kyle's transformation into Catwoman is rather standout. She's this sweet kind woman who loves cats and gets walked all over, till finally she's pushed too far (out of a window no less) and she just has enough, starts cutting up her clothes, spray paints her dolls house back, wrecks her apartment, makes her costume and becomes the dark feline like figure reclining on the windowsill. Oh also, one of the best lines of the movie, when Selina and Bruce realise each other's identities (with Face to Face by Siouxsie and the Banshees playing to make it even more brilliant): 'Oh god, does this mean we have to start fighting?'

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You make valid points on all the others. However, Gremlins 2 has one of my favorite villains, of any medium. The Brain Gremlin. He, alone, grants that film immunity from any harsh criticism, LOL.

17. mangotree

I have to agree.
    I used to love the scene where he sings New York New York

#17 mangotree, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes!

My personal favorite scene, though, has to be, when the Brain Gremlin is being interviewed. The whole 'What do we want? Why, civilization of course' speech, is a great piece of cinematic writing.

19. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Gremlins 2! I've never understood why people say it's not as good as the first- I think it's hillarious!

"You take a look at this fellow here. Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized."

20. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually in the minority in that I think Batman Forever is the best of the Burton-Schumacher quadrilogy and that The Amazing Spiderman 2 was a good movie.

The only sequel I really hate is The Dark Knight Rises. The Dark Knight is okay but not as good as Batman Begins IMO.