1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DESERPATELY need feedback!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GuitarGirl1350, May 11, 2007.

1. GuitarGirl1350

I'm going into web design and I have my first potential customer! I JUST got my website fully published today, which is scarifying as my customer is supposed to review it tomorrow.
    Here is a link to my site:

http://wildcarddesigns.tripod.com/serv.htm

PLEASE tell me what you think. I need HONEST criticism from someone who isn't me. PLEASE tell me what I could do to make it better or if it's alright! I don't want to over-do it, and I'm working on making the navbar an image map, I just couldn't throw it together in less than 24 hours. So, this is what I have for now.

One thing- I DO need to know if the banner that says "WildCard Designs" has a picture of a suited royal flush or a flush. (not suited) because when I first made the graphic I messed that up, so I JUST fixed it and tripod is being stupid so I don't know if the banner is the new one yet.

Thanks so much everyone!

I'll be checking back around 9, so if someone could please review me before then, it would be wonderful!

2. TeeBe

I see a 10, J, Q, K, A of spades...

If I were less computer challenged I might be able to offer more insightful feed back. I think it looks good!

#2 TeeBe, May 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. nisomer

I would suggest not tiling the background, and if possible, using a different host with less ads (idk about any free ones). What are you using to create the website? Basic html coding without use of scripts and such, might not look the best for professional websites. I do however, really like the logo, the tag, and the name...really creative! Stick with the royal flush, it works!

4. Steam Giant

Honestly, I think it works pretty well ^^ I agree with Nisomer about the background, I think that's the only real weakpoint. Now, I'm no web designer, my specialty is domains and ADNS (and SEO to some extent), but one thing I've learned is that, while it may not be creative, a white background with black text is the most frequently identified by visitors as being professional. I wouldn't worry too much about that rule, though...if you've ever seen my site, a quick glance will tell you I don't follow it myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really wish I could do better for you, but the coworkers I interact with handle technical issues, and don't know much about web design themselves. I do, however, wish you the best of luck! It looks fine to me ^^

5. GuitarGirl1350

Thanks guys! I'll do a version with a different background. Or should I just stick to a color? I liked the stripes...but that doesn't matter =P

I'm getting off Tripod AS SOON AS I get paid for this job and can afford a domain. I HATE the ads, but everywhere has them. When I buy my own name, it won't matter =]. I tried to go to freewebs and Yahoo too (as well as other places), I know I used to host some stuff on Yahoo but from what I remember it was the worst service I've ever worked with. Freewebs kind of sucks too. I know ads look HORRIBLE on a professional website (not to mention they threw all my layout off -_-)...but again, few hours, no money.

What I'm using is a combination of HTML and CSS. Ideally, I want to purchase my domain, have a main banner with links underneath it in an image map, and if it grows, fly-outs on the links. There's not much scripting I can do (I don't know much Javascript. Lots of Java, just no javascript -_-...I can make endless annoying pop-ups though! mwahaha.)

Hopefully I'll have an updated version soon!!!! At 730 this morning I had a background and a defined frameset. I actually needed it all done by this afternoon (or tomorrow, but I didn't want to take chances) so yeah...

Thanks so much for all your feedback =] I greatly appreciate the help and suggestions.

By the way, your site looks awesome Steam Giant! =] As for the white-background-black-text, it's common but it frankly looks like decroded boring. If it was for a bank or something, I can see it, but since my potential customer is a clothing designer, she can appreciate something straying from the norm. (Her clothes are AWESOME. She has her own boutique here!) You can do so much with websites that it seems almost a shame to me to have white background, black times-new-roman-size-12 font. I tried to stick to simple and easy while still being edgy. I think as long as the colors are easy to read (at the least for your intended audience) (like, your yellow-and-black is easy on the eyes) and the text isn't 2 pixels high, it's good. (Again, unless it's super professional and NEEDS to be like that.) I have a kid I met who had a fuschia website with cyan text. My eyes felt like they had fluorescent acid poured in them...

Again, thanks so much guys. *big hugs* Got any suggestions on the background?

6. Steam Giant

Thanks! And now comes the part where you lose all respect for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it's a template! Now, I'm the type to just open notepad and start coding, but I still use the template builder, because I don't want to feel like I'm working for the simple site I put up. Of course, while it's a template, the color scheme and content are all my own ^^

Again, I'm no web designer, and you are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I think either a solid color or a soft watermark that stays centered would look good ^^ the watermark could be your logo/mascott/whichever. But again, just a suggestion from a n00b, heh.

Best of luck on acquiring your own domain name/web hosting! Just please don't tell me who you end up going with, heh, because I work for a domain name registrar/webhost, and just thinking about some of our competition ticks me off sometimes! :angry:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

On higher resolution screens the tiled background doesn't match up. If you are going to use background like that you need do either make it huge (over 2000 pixels wide) or make sure it tiles correctly side-by-side and one above another.

8. live805

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    ello
    it looks great!
    if you want, i can talk to my webmaster and see if he can help you with a domain and all
    i get 400GB and a .net for only 10$ a year...
    and no ads
    :wink:
    otherwise, yeah, the site looks amazing!
    anywho cya laters!

i

9. GuitarGirl1350

I just need to get paid for the domain. That's it!!! yay!

Okay. Here's what I think I'm going to do:
    Put a translucent filter over the background and make it larger than any known screen resolution. (Thanks Paul!) I had only checked it on 800x600 and 1400xsomething. (I've crashed my computer playing with the monitor settings, I don't touch them anymore. So the 800x600 is home and 1400xsomething is at school.) How's the background on the left frame?

Steam- I used to use templates alot when I first started, so I didn't loose respect for you! (I don't mean to call you an amateur or anything, just saying) I LOVE coding though. It's sick. I can sit down and code for hours just loving it. (More so with Java as it's more complex than HTML =P.) I can use Dreamweaver, Flash, or Frontpage, they're all on my computer (or Flash isn't, but I have access to it.), but I just don't like design software...

Again, THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!!

10. GuitarGirl1350

AN UPDATE:
    I just went to see Dawn (my customer) and it's offical- I HAVE A DEAL! She loved my site and she wants me to do hers. I'm SO excited!!!!

11. Steam Giant

Awesome! That's great news! Congratulations! ^^

12. GuitarGirl1350

Thanks!!!!!! =^_^=

13. Jim1454

Good for you! Thats awesome! Young entrepreneurs like yourself always impress me!

14. GuitarGirl1350

Thank you, Jim!