1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#1 Movie? Seriously?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GhostNeko, Dec 6, 2014.

1. GhostNeko

Every commercial for a movie that is either in theaters, or coming to theaters has "#1 Movie in America" or "Best movie this year". Every. Damned. Movie. Is that just advertisement? Or do all of the critics not know how to properly rate a movie?

2. JessicaWolfess

It's the same as every anti-virus software saying it's the safest or every fast food place saying their burger has the most meat. It's pure advertisement

3. Quiet Raven

Well a lot of them could be just quoting different critics. There are a lot of different critics, so most movies could be the favorite of at least one.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading an article on this phenomena. Several studios were busted for fabricating quotes from nonexistent reviews.

But secondarily to that, there are plenty of critics in tiny podunk newspapers whose primary purpose is to wrap fish or line your birdcage, and those critics will sometimes write glowing reviews of movies that are total turds for the sole purpose of getting name visibility in the movie's advertising.

Authenticity in marketing went out of style years ago.

5. Aldrick

:lol:

Your complaint reminded me of Honest Movie Trailers. Here is what Movie Trailers would look like if they were honest:

[YOUTUBE]I2cS5Fv5xIQ[/YOUTUBE]

6. Honest Trailers are always great at what they do

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love Honest Trailers.

But yeah, it's all loopholes and sketchy lines. Like "#1 superhero action Movie starring a blonde in America!". The truth can be many things if you aren't specific enough. :wink:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If a movie has to tell me why it's good, and isn't able to show me in the trailer, then I know it's probably nothing spectacular.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember reading one piece of advice that--while probably not 100% perfect--does seem helpful. If the critic quoted is not a big name, it's probably not a good movie. That is, if the Big Name Critic raves, why would the studio choose a critic no one has heard of, or is at best a small time critic?

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2014 at 03:59 AM ----------

I remember one scene in Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers talking about advertising and the use of language. I can't remember it, but it basically comes down to word use can say something that can be misleading without actually lying. You say the right thing, and people will think their cereal is nothing but such-and-so a wholesome ingredient, when, in reality, it's only a small percentage.

She should have known; she worked in advertising many years.

The book was published in 1933--showing that even in that gentler era things were not ideal in the Land of Marketing.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Critics' reviews are just wasted space in a commercial. I don't care who else likes it; I want to know what it's about so I can form my own opinion. But that's too much work for some I guess.

11. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

This is all advertisement, have you ever played a game called destiny. In all the trailers it said "best game of the year", then the game came out and was awful. I've seen this with plenty of movies almost every transformer movie said "best movie of the year" and the transformer movies are terrible.