1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride wins Best British Independent Film

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by doinitagain, Dec 8, 2014.

1. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Miners' strike drama Pride has been named best film at the British Independent Film Awards.

The film, about an alliance between gay rights campaigners and pit workers during the 1984 strike, collected three awards in total.

Andrew Scott and Imelda Staunton won the best supporting actor and actress prizes for their roles in the film.

Brendan Gleeson was named best actor for Calvary and Gugu Mbatha-Raw won best actress for Belle.

Accepting the top award of the night, Pride director Matthew Warchus said: "We're getting reports from up and down the country of audiences standing up and applauding. That doesn't really happen in British cinemas.

Writer Stephen Beresford added that the film had one "simple, compelling message: unite".

"When I was first told the story I was blown away by it - people ask 'is that really true?'

"It took 20 years to convince anyone that a film about vegan lesbian activists was a sure-fire hit."

SOURCE: BBC News - Pride wins best film at British Independent Film Awards

2. White Knight

Nice to hear that.

I still need to watch that one. Hmmm maybe it might be my New Year's Evening movie.