1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Fiction Resources?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by VioletSpark, Dec 18, 2014.

1. VioletSpark

I know that I posted this on the books sticky above, but I figured it might get more visibility here -

Can anyone recommend any non-fiction books on the subject of orientation, coming out, living life, etc?

The three that I've read and found useful are:
    What If? Answers to Questions About What it Means to be Gay by Eric Marcus
    Is It A Choice? 3rd Edition by Eric Marcus
    The Letter Q by Sarah Moon

Thanks!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd look up a few keywords on the website of the bookseller that sells all kinds of stuff...
    and look at the opinions of people who have read the book...

(*hug*)

3. okie11235813

This may not be what you're looking for but I'd highly recommend "What's Wrong with Homosexuality?" by John Corvino. It's an intelligent and articulate philosophical defense of homosexuality that addresses just about every argument raised by those pesky, anti-gay naysayers. It's a nice change of pace from other books I've read, which, typically, give a psychological/biological explanation for homosexuality without treading into the (seemingly) more murky moral territory. (If you'd like a preview of the book, you can watch his lecture here.)

Besides that, I'd also recommend:

Coming Out of Shame: Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives by Kaufman and Raphael - the first couple chapters come off a bit heavy on the psycho-babble (in particular, shame theory), but, once "oriented," so to speak, in the authors' jargon, it's really an insightful read.

It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living - pretty much everyone has heard of the It Gets Better Project; the book is simply a transcribed collection of some of the better videos posted for the project.

Hope that helps!