1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victoria Modesta - Prototype - Channel 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 741852963

Viktoria Modesta - Prototype - Channel 4

In the UK we had a rather unusual music video premiered during a commercial break last week, its draw being its done by a female pop singer who is also an amputee.

The full video here:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8inmHhx8c[/YOUTUBE]

I'm really not sure what to make of it all. The music is a bit generic really, and the vid is a bit controversial in places (riffing on amputee body dysmorphia a little?) but credit where credit is due the final scene with the "spike leg ballet" is a dream to watch (the filming/lighting, sound, choreography - stunning). I'm wondering if she actually performed that all herself or if its helped with CGI? She would take an incredible dancer to do that, mind you I'm sure she would have developed brilliant balance in adapting to having one leg so perhaps its possible.

One thing I'm a little unsure on is this: are we still at the stage where a singer being disabled is "provocative" or an attraction (I'm guessing we are given how this is marketed). Its a shame if thats the case, mind you this singer is going to be benefitting from this draw given the TV promotion and youtube hits (given the rather average music I'd guess shes going to be more successful with being disabled, having a "USP" if you will)- now does that mean she is "exploiting" her disability in a similar way freak shows did back in the Victorian days? Is she in a position of power or simply giving in to the curiousity of the masses? Are we wrong to be fascinated? Your thoughts on this please!

Also...I'm fairly sure the albino model in the video is Stephen Thompson, who I must admit I think is one of the most beautiful men in the world! I happen to work with a very similar looking (but non-albino) man, needless to say I can get a little distracted at times! :lol:

#1 741852963, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. 741852963

Theres an article about her today: Viktoria Modesta, the world's first amputee pop star :

I think I understand a bit better where she is coming from now, that sense of being in control of her autonomy and body. I'm still a little unsure on whether her turning her disability into a fashion statement is truly beneficial (as isn't that requiring validation from able bodied people - should disabled people have to "look cool" or wear designer aids to fit in?) BUT that said she is having fun and it is her life so fair enough.

A little bit more info as well on the company that makes the prosthesis:

home - thealternativelimbproject

Now I do have to admit some of them are damn cool, I do love the "oriental leg" with the ivory-esque compartments.