1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV/Movie Suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by idefygravity, Dec 29, 2014.

1. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, guys!

So I'm on winter break, so I have plenty of time to watch tv. I'm planning to start watching a new show, maybe lgbt related?

Anyway, I was looking for suggestions.

I have netflix, hulu, and amazon prime, and my computer.

I've already seen Orange is the New Black, Faking it, and I started The L Word for TV.

2. okie11235813

Hey there!

Off the top of my head, the only other show I can think of that would warrant the description "LGBT themed" is Queer as Folk. Though, I'll be honest, after the novelty of watching two men engage in simulated sex acts wore off, I quickly lost interest - I think I gave up halfway through season two. I have heard the BBC version (which might be on Prime) is better, but I haven't got around to watching it.

However, Netflix does have quite a few LGBT themed documentaries/movies:

We Were Here - documentary about the early AIDS epidemic told from the perspective of five men and women; very good but definitely a tearjerker

Outrage - a doc about closeted gays/lesbians serving in the Senate and Congress, their migraine-inducing hypocrisy, and the (sometimes unfruitful) efforts of LGBT activists to out them; good but you'll be pretty pissed off by the time you finish

For the Bible Tells Me So - another doc; this one's about the influence zealous religious groups have (or have had) on the LGBT community and the public at large (e.g., their promotion of reparative/conversion therapy ("pray the gay away"), influence of public policy, etc.); disturbing but good

A Single Man - based on the novel by Christopher Isherwood, directed by Tom Ford, and starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, and Nicholas Hoult. In a nutshell, it's a day in the life of George Falconer, a closeted gay English professor. Beautiful movie (all the more so considering it was Tom Ford's directorial debut).

Blue Is the Warmest Colour - this one's still in my list (three hours long!), but I plan to watch it once I get the time as I've heard it's really good (won the Palme d'Or at Cannes 2013). From what I can gather, it's a story about a high school girl who discovers she's a lesbian when she meets and later falls in love with a woman.

You can find others (Philadelphia, Paris Is Burning, I Am Divine, etc.) by going to the Netflix website, selecting browse, and then Gay & Lesbian.

Anyway, hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm watching The L Word too! I'm on season 5 and I'm already sad because I've got only one season and a half left... :tears: Can't wait for the new seasons of OITNB and Faking it!

Haven't watch it yet, but I heard Orphan Black is great! Have you watched the movie Imagine me and you? It's is lovely. One of my favorites! Plus, Lena Headey.

I've been recommended the web series Feminin/Feminin. Watched the first episode and really liked it. I plan on watch the whole thing when I'm done with TLW

I've watched Blue is the warmest color and it's not bad. I didn't find it as good as people say, though. Very explicit, so be sure you're parents are not around when you watch it :lol:

Not LGBT related: Idk if you're into the riot grrrl scene, but last weekend I watched the documentary The punk singer, about Kathleen Hanna, the lead singer of Bikini Kill and it was really great.

4. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you search for another lesbian series, uhm what about Lip Service...It reminds me a bit of the L Word (but imo definitlely not as good as The L Word), but fun to watch.

I can suggest Orphan Black! It's so awesome! :thumbsup: Binge watched season 1 and 2, can't wait for season 3 (!)

5. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you like syfy you can see Lost Girl the lead is Anna Silk and she play bisexual sucubus. Now season5 is running.
    If you like family drama I recommend The Fosters, its about two moms and their 5 kids.
    I love 2014 has slots of TV shows with queer characters. Two years Bach we search for a niddle in a stack of gets.

6. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The last Lesbian interest movie I watched is "Anatomy of a love scene" its about to actresses who fall in love after a love scene in a movie, but drama happened -they broke up- and they have to re act the love scene (!)
    its the scenario all fan-girls dream of it, when your OTP happens in real life, not the break up of course :lol:

7. Skellington

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Fosters is decent enough – you'll figure out whether you like it in the first couple of episodes. It doesn't change much after that, you know, content and quality wise.

I also watched all of the American Queer as Folk back in the day. It seems quite shallow at first, lots of sex scenes and such but it does have quite a bit of social commentary was well. Maybe a bit dated by now, but hey...

8. Henrieee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    American horror story
    this show is life

9. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remembered when I stumbled across TheLWord clips in YouTube and a whole world of possibilities opened to me. I binged watched the series after download the torrent in end of 2009 and it was an I opener and I said to myself all the things that I was feelings and being an alient under my own skin because I'm gay. And this is how I came out to myself.

10. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OITNB ended all my years of denial.

11. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not LGBT related (unless you count Venus Van Dam in the later seasons), but I recommend Sons of Anarchy.

12. Ryu

Ryu

None of these are LGBT related but they're all awsome.
    Hetalia
    Naruto
    Naruto shippuden
    Gintama
    Gintama: be forever yorozuya (film)
    Attack on titan
    SAO
    SAO II
    Trigun
    Hellsing
    Death-note
    Tokyo Ghoul
    Black butler: book of circus
    Black Butler

Yes, this is a list of every anime have seen/am watching

13. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I would not suggest The Fosters, because if you go for the mamas, you'll love the first 10 episodes then almost everything after that for them is friggin awful. IMO.

14. CyanChachki

Breaking Bad, if you're alright watching R rated stuff. It gets a bit intense and a little too real in some parts but over all, a very good TV show.

15. RelaxedDude97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really reccomend watching Glee, this show has opened my eyes and made it a little bit easier for me to accept myself :slight_smile: