1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RENT/First time you saw yourself...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bi2me, Dec 31, 2014.

1. bi2me

I finally got the right cord to hook my iPod up in my car (I know - I'm dating myself on several levels with that admission :dry:slight_smile:, and the first thing I wanted to listen to was RENT. I remember the first time I heard the music... my mom had picked me up from college to go home for Thanksgiving, and Rent had recently come out. My family are Musical Theater fans, so we always enjoy listening to new shows.

When she popped the CD in, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was a community of diverse folks working out their issues together kind of as a family. It was endearing, heart warming, and it made me a little proud to see myself (bisexual) portrayed in the show. My parents don't know I'm bi (still to this day), but I've seen RENT more than any other show. The music still speaks to me, and I still feel proud of the way people of various gender/sexualities are presented in it.

What was the first movie/show/musical/play that really spoke to you in that way?

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I watched RENT when I was a kid. We went to a tiny theater that seated maybe 30 people and they had a really good production. I didn't understand much of it because I was little, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I think Annie was one of the first musicals I ever saw. My mom was in it. It probably should have spoke to me because I too was an orphan at one point, but I can't remember it striking me very much. I was probably too young.

3. mabo2235

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the three high schools in my town is focusing on aesthetics, theater and media and they had a production of RENT around four years ago and I think they made a brilliant job. I've seen the movie and two other productions of the musical. I love it!