1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue is the Warmest Colour

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Milonov, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What do LGBT people actually think of that film's sex scenes?

I heard different people both praising them and dismissing them as fake, unrealistic and emotionless. I felt a certain "fakeness" feel, but what do others think?

2. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Guys/girls/something inbetween?

3. Harve

Well I don't think an inexperienced girl would be able to immediately do sexual acrobatics. It didn't bother me too much - the film is by a guy who obviously wouldn't have any first-hand experience with lesbian sex. I think he just wanted to show that it was an important part of their relationship.

4. shostakobitch

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    in my opinion, they were pretty unrealistic. the film started out well, but then after the somewhat emotionless sex scenes, once Adele starts to have no desire to mature/change/advance from the young girl she was when she and Emma first met, and when she cheats, things got even more emotionless.

anyway, the sex scenes were alright, but just a little unbelievable for someone with no experience. idk

also, the first time i saw this, it was in french with no subtitles, so i had no idea what they were saying really, but their body language and expressions were pretty eh. i've since seen it with subtitles lol.

5. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first experience was certainly nothing like that. For that matter, none of the later ones were like that either. :slight_smile:

It's interesting to me people's different takes on Adele. A lot of people I've read comments from side with Emma, but I see more of Adele's point of view. I felt that Emma was trying to change her into something she was not; although she's not an artist, she's supportive of Emma's art and enjoys her teaching job. She may not be wildly ambitious, but I felt Emma was somewhat condescending to her because she was not a painter or writer and thus was not "fulfilled".

6. Jaymmm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i didnt like the end, i wished happyend for them

7. lilrocket

The sex scenes showcased like, the heptathlon of sex.. so many different, acrobatic positions.. not exactly life-like and I also felt that they went on for far too long and in doing so were voyeuristic, when much shorter scenes could have easily demonstrated their level of passion for one another and the importance of sex in their relationship

They were probably my least favourite thing about the movie! Did like the movie overall

8. Jaymmm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    after watching those sex scenes i wanted to smoke a cigarette even though im non-smoker, what does it mean?

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it was a mans interpretation of what lesbians do in bed. I didn't love or hate it but I will say it went on for a slightly awkward amount of time when I was sitting in the cinema haha.

10. fappiness

Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a film that definitely made me realise I was probably gay :') but I do agree the sex scenes were a little overplayed. I agree that it was probably a man's view in that way. But I liked how their relationship blossomed and it showed their actual day-to-day relationship very realistically.

11. sharkpool

I think the sex scenes were supposed to be artistic or something like that. Although they were long, I wasn't really bothered by them. What did bothered me was the timeline, or did i miss something? One day Emma was in a bar with her girlfriend and she met Adele, and the next day she kissed and was in a relationship with Adele.

12. xplodingpassion

my one issue w/ BITWC is the sex scenes. They just felt too long and overly graphic, i have no problem w/ graphic sexual content if it serves the story but in that film it just felt excessive and worse than that i thought it threw off the pacing of the film

13. indiqo

I really wanted to watch it but I read some reviews and got scared. I know it's pathetic and I need to get a life but I refuse to waste my time watching something which will probably infuriate me.

14. DelvSeigible

The more bitter the fruit the more time it takes you to finish it. If you do not take your chance with the forbidden fruit how do you intend to ssatisfy yourself. Worse come to worst theres the fwd and bck button.
    - E

15. Yuber

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I didn’t find the sex scenes really shocking (just weird, certainly due to the fact that’s the first time I see two naked girls). What I really found fakeness in are the empty dialogue about art and the constant sniffing and close-up of Exarchopoulos.

16. darlig ulv

It's funny because after about a few months of stalling, I just finished it about half an hour ago. From what a lot of actual lesbians say about the sex scenes, it seems they're not that realistic. And if so, I wonder why Kechiche felt they needed to go on for so long. It's a beautiful film about first love, but if your point in graphically portraying sex is frankness, why does it have to be so fantasized? It really is a shame that smack in the middle of performances so real and effortless, we find scenes that don't reflect the experiences of lesbians, but the fantasies of straight men. I think it was Emily Dickinson who said, and I'm only paraphrasing: don't write what you haven't done. I'm not suggesting that Kechiche shouldn't have made the film to begin with, but a little insight would have helped.

On the bright side, after watching this I'm 100% sure of my homosexuality.

Or maybe 99%.

17. aeva

I wouldn't say it bothered me...but I did find it slightly unrealistic. It was also just awkward because I was with my friend's soon-to-be-ex. It's one of those films that I'm glad I saw, but I probably wouldn't see it again.

18. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I got the fake feel with the sex scenes, too, but I was more bothered by how Adele's nose kept running every time she cried and she never wiped it :/

To be honest, they were both in the wrong. Emma had a girlfriend at the beginning, and there she was flirting with another woman, and an underage one at that. Later, it's implied that she may be doing the same thing to Adele. (The message saying she's with Lise and not to wait up)
    And then we have Adele, who actively cheats on Emma with no intention of confessing or apologising until it's too late. Even after all that, she still thinks she can come back years later and things will go back to how they were.

The ending was frustrating. Maybe it's because I'm so accustomed to happy endings :slight_smile:

#18 ForNarnia, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  19. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Might get hate for this but the movie was boring. Didn't watch it all the way through.

20. OvvhiSolstice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite honestly, I enjoyed that film a lot... But I thought the sex scenes were kind of awkward for me to watch. I thought it was necessary for the plot, and all the scenes fit perfectly in that time. I just always feel kinda "meh"watching a sex scene in a movie, anyway. Overall, I really loved Blue Is The Warmest Colour. THE ENDING MADE ME CRY, ugh. It was a beautiful movie.