1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favorite LGBT movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Purplecat, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Purplecat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have watched Brokeback Mountain and Freier Fall I am really impressed but also I feel very sad . Is there any LGBT movie that ends good? ...

2. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    My favorite would be "My own private Idaho" and followed very closely by "Hedwig and the angry Inch". Although I loved "Brokeback mountain" and I enjoy it every time I see it, I felt like it was a little cold in some parts... but overall it's a great movie

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2015 at 02:06 PM ----------

And my least favorite LGBT movies would be: A touch of pink, Queer the duck: The movie, Even cowgirls get the blues, Broken sky and Go fish. Garcon Stupide is also one of my least favorites

And very worst are the ones where a straight character can turn a gay person into straight (like Gigli, The next best thing and Chasing amy)

#2 edy, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. White Knight

Here is my favorites with good endings...
    Hawaii
    I fell in love with this movie. I don't know what it is but I like the scenery, personality and look of the leads so much.

Eating out 2: Sloppy Seconds
    Not only one of my favorite LGBT movies also my favorite comedy as well. I lost the count how many times I watched this.

Latter Days
    This one is like Gone with the Wind or Casablanca of gay movies... epic tale of love, drama... it has everything.

Shelter
    While it is very high on every gay movie list I see and favorite of my best friend... I am still finding somethings about this movie... cold. Yet story is okay and ending is very nice.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Shelter is a great movie but COLD indeed

Except for the ones I already mentioned, I'm not really into American LGBT movies, they're all kinda the same story

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    33 Teeth cute short film...One of the characters is HOT!

6. iConor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Brokeback Mountain is my guilty pleasure :icon_wink Jake and Heath :eusa_danc

7. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brokeback Mountain and Room in Rome are the best LGTB movies I've seen so far but Imagine me and you is my personal favorite. I could be watching it over and over again...

8. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come to think of it, no. My all-time favorite is Boys Don't Cry, but it is very sad.

9. Jaymmm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But Im a Cheerleader---that one is very funny- its about "curing gay teenagers" and sure its unsuccessful:slight_smile:

10. soulcatcher

Never seen any.

11. Yuber

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favorite LGBT movie (and my favorite for all) is Una Giornata Particolare (Special Day), by Ettore Scola with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni (but it’s during Mussolini era, so it didn’t end well).

In second it’s Total Eclipse, about Rimbaud and Verlaine. I love that movie too, and not because Dicaprio is playing Rimbaud (and we can see him front naked).

Third it will be Circumstances, a movie by Mariam Keshavarz about a couple of girl struggling in modern day Iran (and because iranian cinema is great).

Four, Happy Together, by Wong Kar Way, because it’s remind me a lot of things.

Five, Six Degrees of Separation, a movie adaptation of a play, all the actors are amazing (Will Smith, Donald Surtherland, Stockard Channing and Ian McKellen).

Then special mention to The Bubble (Ethan Fox, the story is good but didn’t end well, but not on my top five because it seems like a low budget movie).

They’re also la Folle Histoire d’amour de Simon Eskenazy with Antoine de Caunes and Mehdi Dehbi (the english title is ugly and sound wrong : This is my girl), the funny love story of a Jewish musician and an Arab transvestite, it’s also the sequel of l’Homme est une femme comme les autres (Man is a Woman). This is the only movie that is light and joyful.

Oh, and I almost forgot Tenue de Soirée (Ménage for his English title), with Depardieu, Michel Blanc and Miou-Miou. This movie is totally crazy from the beginning to the end.

12. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love (1995)
    If These Walls Could Talk 2 (2000)
    But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)
    Better Than Chocolate (1999)

13. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've lately been peeved by gay movies that have sad endings. In "The Celluloid Closet" (the film documentary - not the book) they interview people in Hollywood who mention that gay characters had to be portrayed in a negative/tragic fashion to get by censors. This kind of thinking has hung on at the movie studios, though the Hays code was discontinued in 1968.

There are many good gay-themed films with downbeat endings - so long as they are based on actual events or will evoke empathy among the audience. Examples of this kind of film are: Milk, Any Day Now, The Trip, Undertow, Food of Love, Maurice, etc. These are well worth seeing as long as you are prepared to see the darker aspects of humanity, and how some overcome those forces.

So you have to look to low-budget indie films (sometimes foreign) to find affirming gay stories with happy endings.

Other than ones mentioned here (Latter Days, Shelter), these are some gay movies I think have happy or uplifting endings...

- Queer Duck. An animated feature based on a Web cartoon that was famous for airing right before "Queer as Folk" during its Showtime run. In addition to a gay-affirming ending, this is one of the funniest gay movies you'll ever see.
    - You Should Meet My Son! A farce, set in the Deep South, where a conservative church-going woman has to come to terms with her son being gay. But rather than joining a fundamentalist church, she immerses herself in gay life to help her son find the perfect eligible bachelor.
    - Pit Stop. This slow-paced indie has a surprisingly heart-warming and realistic portrayal of life for a blue-collar gay man in Austin, Texas. It ends on a hopeful note.
    - Five Dances. In addition to showcasing male dancers' art, a young man comes to terms with his sexuality and finds a greater degree of acceptance, and hope for the future.
    - I Do. Boy meets boy, but the US immigration system doesn't recognize their relationship. But love will find a way...
    - Weekend. A one-night stand becomes something more for two young English men.
    - Breakfast with Scot. A gay couple unexpectedly become adoptive parents of an effeminate 12-year-old boy, and learn more about accepting themselves.
    - Big Eden. An openly gay artist goes back into the closet when caring for his elderly grandfather in Montana, but finds greater acceptance for gays than he ever thought possible.
    - The Sensei. A gay-bashing victim learns to defend himself, and becomes a hero to others.

14. Quiet Raven

Haven't seen many, but I really liked "I love you Philip Morris".

15. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I especially liked when her parents came around at the end and went to that support group. Yeah that one did have a happy ending.

16. lilrocket

That was fun.. especially liked the scene with them dancing in their jail cell, as their next door cell neighbour battle the prison guards loudly

I liked.. Saving Face, Loving Annabelle, Life Partners, Boys Don't Cry, If These Walls Could Talk 2, Bound.. probably as my favourites that come to mind

17. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched Life partners the other day and loved it. It was better than I expected :slight_smile:

18. lilrocket

yes! yay! reviews were really mixed and heard quite a lot of negative stuff about it, but I thought it was charming and funny

19. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just watched this BRILLIANT Argentinian film - happy ending with :tears:

20. CyanChachki

Were The World Mine! It was pretty cool.