1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what you like in music (vocals), lyrical content and others

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Justinian20

My fave music is not a genre but rather Themed to LGBT communities because I can relate to the lyrical content in the song. Also for music itself danceability is a must for me. I like warm female vocals for pop music and male for rock(Marilyn Manson, Ikon and others). Male voice has be more unique than just pop song vocals but if by a gay male I'll probably love the vocals anyway no matter what. So what do you like in the music you listen to. I personally like LGBT themed music because I can relate to the lyrics and a lot of the songs are very good and have replayability which means I can listen to it over and over again unlike mainstream music

#1 Justinian20, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I especially like unique vocals. Vocalists who sound similar to no one else

As for lyrics, I enjoy lyrics that are a work of art in itself. Lyrics with a deep meaning hidden behind artistic words. The kind "normal" people would think doesn't make sense, because they fail to truely listen.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm with ningyobroken here, the less a song sounds like anything else, the more I'm usually inclined to like it, or at least respect it.

I normally like my lyrics abstract and open to interpretation, but sometimes direct and straightforward can leave just as much an impact. I'm also a big fan of OST's, so sometimes that means no lyrics at all ^^

4. RadioRoss

I like unique voices as well, people who might not have the most pretty voices, but voices that hold a lot of emotion and arent afraid of breaking, sounding airy, and whatever else. Lyrics wise, i always enjoy cryptic, unique, powerful lyrics. But, as kageshiro said, lyrics can be simple or completely absent and still be able to show emotion and power n stuff :grin:

5. TheHesitantAlien

I love a mix of things: Screamo, quite raw-sounding (Gerard Way, for example), as well as some nicely-rounded voices --> Great YouTube personality here: http://youtube.com/natewantstobattle His voice is soooooooo nice! He's just an all round awesome, talented guy - I'd love o meet him! :grin:

6. SilencedMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Anything with raw, obvious passion. That's my favorite music. Which is why my music taste can range from new age piano to screamo

7. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me personally a song can be good either by having good lyrics that I can relate to, or a tune that is easy to listen to. Most of the time I too as kageshiro just enjoy listening to OST, especially if they are made into an AMV.

8. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer blues-y sounding vocals. Which is one of the reasons why I love The Black Keys so much.

9. AAASAS

For vocalists I just like voices that are different

[youtube]Gu2pVPWGYMQ[/youtube]

[youtube]SrAa3jPU1Kk[/youtube]

For female vocalists I really like nonsensical singing; using their voice just as an instrument.

[youtube]BW0bGGYi3Cc[/youtube]

[youtube]rVqAdIMQZlk[/youtube]

https://soundcloud.com/redef/the-beat-goes-on-prod-by-damu

Lyrics all go to hiphop, no other genre really can beat it, the entire genre is based around it's content.

[youtube]XST5kRtzY_4[/youtube]

[youtube]DJvX-FWvHjk[/youtube]

[youtube]jAWrscplyOA[/youtube]

10. JustKat

Lyrical Content is the number one deciding factor to me. I also like unique vocals or music that is written by the artist.

11. Jellal

I like my music hard, loud, and melodic. It's gotta be metal. Either that or something sweeping and symphonic. If it's got lyrics, I'm not going to be impressed by lyricism and poetry; I need raw, stupid, earnest feeling that doesn't care who finds it cheesy.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed I most like it not only when a singer has a broad range, power, and exceptional technical abilities (pretty much any superstar has two or three of these) but when they know when to use them. Not every song calls for putting every tool at your disposal to the max throughout. It's what differentiates a good singer from a great one. The best example that comes to mind is Idina Menzel. She has all three criteria above plus a naturally unique voice. And when each of those pieces is used in the right spots of a good song, the words have twice the punch that most vocalists could pull off.

It's what alienates me from most RnB songs actually. They go overboard with the turns and "show-offy" singing and it sounds like they are trying way too hard to impress people.

#12 Argentwing, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  13. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like a contrast between soft and dream-like vocals and a heavily distorted woozy guitar sound.

14. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Uninhibited emotion

15. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Vocals, usually a female voice. Piano tends to get the shivers up my spine.

16. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love Riffs, The more Riffs the better! And raw production, I can't stand Modern sounding production, Like stuff that sounds like this:
    [YOUTUBE]4emWZBSEIQY[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]bDz_kDzDgF8[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]E_Av9oHjK5E[/YOUTUBE]

17. Shulk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on my mood. I like things from all genres. But a general rule of thumb is that I like complex, progressive-sounding things. This covers a lot of ground actually. Sergei Rachmaninoff, Queen, Rush, Atheist, Demilich, The Chasm, Amorphis, Alcest, Drudkh, Venetian Snares. I also like Vertical Horizon, Green Day, Jason Isbell, and Foo Fighters. And video game music.

You're talking to a music lover. If one thing comes to mind, others will too, one by one.

18. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I like in music is first the lead vocals. After having focus on the lead vocals, I then go to the background vocals. I love strong background vocals. This is something that I really loved about the late, great Luther Vandross because his background singers were amazing vocalist that really added the fullness of his music. Then I take on the lyrical content. A song to me must tell a story that can grasp the listeners' attention. I've heard some songs that had a great melody but once you got pass the melody and the vocals and then go to the lyrical content, you then realize that the lyrics are crappy and stupid and the fullness of the music takes the attention away. Lastly, the music. I'm a fan of great orchestration as well as great keyboards, guitars, other wise great instrumentation and the production value goes along way as well.