1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demographics

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by XTREMEZish, Jan 15, 2015.

1. XTREMEZish

What I have noticed with certain franchises is that with a predominant activist in the lgbt community running the production, that the content or value doesn't matter. All they need to do is insert a vague (or not so vague) idea of equality message and people automatically seem to by into their content wether its good or not. For example someone asked me my honest opinion about a musician, I said I didn't think that he was that good. The other person called me intolerant because she thought I didn't like him because he was transgender. I didn't like him because I didn't think he sounded that good.

My point is that are we a built in audience that we will latch towards anything with a predominate lgbt stance or message wether it is good or bad. Will we also go as far as to bash people who judge the content negatively? I want to hear your opinions on this.

2. SkyDiver

If someone refuses to buy a particular product just because the company has shown their support for us, you bet I'm going to bash them.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think he's saying that some people are fans of something not for that something's values, but because of that something's minority status. In essence they are buying themselves the feel-good sensation and conversational power of saying they support whatever it is.

If my first paragraph was not descriptive enough, what I'm saying is that people who do that are stupid. To voice dislike of a transgender musician's work speaks much more for equality than liking him because of his trans status.

4. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you there Argentwing. If somebody's music isn't any good and he/she happens to be gay/bi/trans/what have you, I have the right to not like him/her and not get bashed for it for not supporting the community. I guess my example could be Lady Gaga. No offense Gaga fans, but I'm not a fan. Now I don't know if she's lgbt but I'm pretty sure she's supportive. But I don't like the music that much. So I don't like her that much. I respect her as a musician but I don't like her music. Now does that make me unsupportive of the community? I sure hope not. Hopefully at least some of what I said makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: