1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by OGS, Jan 16, 2015.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, we don't have HBO so I hadn't gotten the chance to see this yet. We just had a free HBO weekend and my partner remembered that when this first came out I had mentioned it was too bad I couldn't watch it so he set the machine to record a bunch of them--it's kind of funny, I had forgotten all about it.

So anyway, I loved it! It was so nice to see something so like myself and my friends shown on TV with no careful little emendations or camera cuts to make it more generally palatable. Sort of how I felt about Queer as Folk back in the day.

So, is anybody watching this? Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I watched it. Nearly 9 months later, I still have mixed feelings about it.

To be honest, I found it refreshing in all the wrong ways lol. By that I mean, it was refreshing to see a show portraying gay people as the boring, mundane individuals that we can often be.

In my limited experience, most tv shows featuring lgbt characters portray us as super colorful fairies, always daintily walking on our toes, sprinkling "faboulousness" on everything, so I kinda admire Looking for displaying the other, more ordinary side of the life of average gay people. That said, as refreshing and accurate as it may be, I don't think that makes for particularly good tv. It was just so dull at times in ways that I don't think were intentional.

I get it, I get what they were going for, I just wish they would retain the same focus on the day-to-day of gay people and execute it in a more engaging way. I had to force myself to keep watching at times, which kinda payed off eventually 'cuz the show did get better (around episode 5 to be precise), but even then I only ever cared about one character (Patrick, of course). In a show that's so evenly split between three main characters that's... Not good.

I find it telling that it took a friend of mine, who watched a single episode with me, to point out that the episodes were 30 minutes long for me to notice this; up until that point, I had assumed they were regular 60 minutes episodes because of how much the stories dragged.

Despite all of this, I did like the final episode a lot (some of the episodes that led up to it too) as well as the potential plot-lines it set up for the next season. The character of Patrick did grew on me, eventually. Dom was... Ok; I ended up not loathing him by the time the season came to a close, which was somewhat of an improvement I guess. There's no salvaging the Agustin character tho, he could die in a pit for all I care.

Overall, I'm happy we are getting a second season, but I really hope the writing team steps it up this time around. I need to be as engaged as I was on that last episode for the entirety of the season. They have to pull this off, we have 10 episodes to go through instead of 8 this time. I can't fathom the plot dragging it's feet for that long no matter how satisfying of a finale they may have in store.

Well, I think that's all. I really needed to let that out :grin:

#2 Rawrzilla, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The second-season episode that first aired this past Sunday was quite good, I think they got the feedback they needed about the relative "ordinariness" of the stories and are trying to punch it up a little.

It must be a difficult balance, trying to portray gay guys and their relationships as ordinary, while still maintaining a compelling narrative that is the reason we watch anything: to experience a story that grabs our attention.

The last episode really did try to focus on unique aspects of gay culture, some more savory that others...I also learned a new term: "he has a house in Virginia" means he has HIV...

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Huh, I didn't catch that one. Also, wasn't aware the second season had already begun airing.

Thanks for the heads up!

5. tulman

I'll have to give it a try. To be honest, I never heard of it until I read this thread.
    Hard to get interested in a TV series since I was forced to go cold turkey with my "addiction" when Sons of Anarchy ended after seven awesome seasons.

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

God I miss QAF.. that's all I can say on Looking :wink:

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rawrzilla, my partner's reaction was exactly yours. He thought it was boring. I'm really all about drawing room plays so people sitting around and talking is kind of alright with me. I thought it was full of wonderful little moments that I sort of recognized from life--one that comes immediately to mind is the conversation with Patrick's mother. It's funny that you thought only Patrick was sympathetic. I think he was probably my least favorite character, but I still found him interesting even if somewhat unsympathetic.

8. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Regarding Patrick, I'm just gonna come clean with all my biases:

A) He's the cutest.
    B) He is a game developer (omg!).
    C) His dorkiness and the awkwardness that comes with it is something I can relate to.
    D) He gets the most screen-time.

Those may have had an effect in my perception of him. Maybe :rolle:

#8 Rawrzilla, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought Dom was actually the cutest, then Scott Bakula's character, then the English guy, then Patrick. So maybe that effected my interest in the characters.

I think I may be a bit older than you

10. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Very likely :grin: :grin: :grin:

Although to be perfectly honest, the hottest guy (for moi) in the series was the English guy's (Assuming we are speaking about the same Brit, namely Patrick's boss) boyfriend/husband. He was only in like two scenes on the entire season, and only for a very brief time (I'm talking seconds here), yet I still remember him... Vividly.

Reeeeally hoping he gets a little more screen time on this second season, for academic purposes of course. I just want him to have a shot to really stretch those acting muscles :rolle:

11. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate to be that guy to start his but…. Team Ritchie or Team Kevin?

Personally, although Ritchie is an overall better person and technically healthier for Patrick, I enjoy the Kevin/Patrick dynamic a lot more. Their is more chemistry, more sparks. That sex scene in the final episode was hot!! Their relationship certainly won't work (with Kevin being in a relationship and being Patrick's boss), but I find it more interesting to watch. I think Ritchie is kind of boring.

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Agree on everything. I bolded the things I would have said myself (a.k.a: Everything :grin:)

13. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to watch "Looking" is so I can fully appreciate Tyler Coates's amusing recaps. E.g.:

"Patrick finds Agustín nearly passed out on the street in front of Dom’s place, and, despite being nearly incoherent and completely fucked up, [he] is adamant about staying for dinner. “I’ll stay mute,” he says to Patrick, who replies, “OK, Holly Hunter.” Yeeeeeah, right. If Patrick, at 29, spent all that time freaking out about the possibility of seeing an uncircumcised penis, I doubt he’s the kind of sophisticated film watcher who is well-versed in Jane Campion’s oeuvre."

Unfortunately, Coates doesn't seem to be watching Season 2 (understandably).

14. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Well, so far Season 2 is kicking ass. Great first ep.

15. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I Like It, The first season was a little slow, If i hadn't binge watched them I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.
    The second season is doing Great I think, The first two episode have been really good in my opinion.

16. KingJude

I really liked the first series actually, and I look forward to seeing the second, which hasn't started to be aired here yet unfortunately... It's being shown on Sky Atlantic next month I think.

17. Thranduil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've just finished the first season, watched it all day. :grin: It was perfect, especially the sex scene in the final (Yes, Team Kevin here) episode. When I finished the fifth or sixth episode, I was thinking like "OMG just leave this "Richie" and get that British hottie! WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN?! God let this happen please." and BAM! FINAL EPISODE! :grin: I'm going to watch the first two episodes of second season tomorrow. I've gotten enough Looking today. :grin:

18. KingJude

I'm definitely Team Kevin too! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Don't spoil the start of season two for me! I won't be able to watch it until next month :frowning2: I'm definitely looking forward to it. :wink: See what I did there? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. guitar

I really like it. I don't know if it's quite as good - or as universal - as Queer as Folk, but it's a solid drama nonetheless. Parts of the show hit too close to home for comfort... 2 episodes into season 2, I'm really enjoying the new season.

Oh, and Team Kevin for me as well :slight_smile:

20. Hiems

Oh goodness... Kevin is perfect :icon_redf :lol: