1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Sniper

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by redskins20, Jan 19, 2015.

1. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently saw American Sniper - the movie based on Navy SEAL Chris Kyle's life. And upon exiting the theater, I was speechless. The film touched on so many subjects that tend to be overlooked here in the States: the reason we went over there, the effect of war on soldiers, the impact of deployments on a soldier's spouse. As an Air Force brat, and future military member, that movie hit extra hard, because I've gone months without seeing or hearing from my father.

I'm not usually one the create a thread, but I felt it necessary. The movie was phenomenal, and in my opinion a worthy tribute to an American hero. If you've not seen it yet (or never planned on seeing it), buy your tickets. The movie will humble you, and make you realize how fortunate we really are. Movies like these make me proud to be an American.

Freedom isn't free.

2. Lazuri

I usually have a hard time with these movies because they can usually be summarized by the term "fuck yeah, 'Murica!" And it's really hard to enjoy them when you're not actually American.

What makes this one special?

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chris Kyle was a man who lived for service, service to his country, his comrades and to society in general. his death was in service to a fellow vet who turned out to be homicidal and shot him and a fellow vet who were trying to get him to a stable mental place. truely a human being to admire.

Rest In Peace, Chief!!

4. Lazuri

I'm not arguing that, I know about Chris Kyle and he seemed like he was a good man with a cruely ironic and unfair death.

Doesn't mean the movie about him doesn't turn into "fuck yeah, 'Murica!" anyways.

5. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What makes this film different?

It's not about an American who served his country; it's about a hero who went above and beyond to protect and defend those he never even knew (foreign and domestic). I don't expect someone ignorant to the military (presumably yourself) to understand his sacrifices, as you've never experienced them yourself, but I challenge you to walk out of the theater without tears in your eyes.

6. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just finished watching it and I must say... the movie is amazing, and his story inspirational. I recommend it.

7. Chelski

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I was truly touched by his story. He saved so many lives and to watch him suffer for those he felt couldn't protect was heartbreaking.

To be honest I don't think it would have mattered if he was an American or not. I still felt he would have been the same hero he was.

But there are thousands of other service men and woman who have been effected by war physically and mentally especially here in the UK too. It was just horrible that he died trying to help one of his own.

I would recommend this film

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, I'm wary of the premise, but all the intriguing comments about it make me want to see it...

9. robclem21

I found it a little boring to be honest. No doubt that the story was great and he was a very special human being, but I found the movie a little uneventful to be honest. Would have been better served as a documentary rather than filmed as a "drama" based on a true story.

I was also slightly pleased that this movie was much less biased and filled with US propaganda about how every middle eastern citizen is a terrorist than other American war films produced in the last 10 years.

10. 741852963

Whilst obviously the kill count is confirmed, whether we can say Chris Kyle is a "hero" is a matter of personal opinion really. I respect that you classify him as such, but for me I would not.

From his interviews and his books he did come across as disingenuous and attention hungry. The fact that he was found to have lied and embellish his books, arguably to further cement the machismo or "all-American" image (unnecessary really but I'm guessing done out of some complex), hardly warms me to the fella. Plus his comments about "enjoying" killing and war aren't something I personally I expect in my heroes. I see war as a necessary evil, it should not be a bloodsport or "fun".

IMO I am sure there are far greater heroes in our military deserving of biopics. Granted though, Chris Kyle's story is slightly unusual due to being murdered on home soil so I appreciate why this was produced.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2015 at 03:00 PM ----------

I don't think it is fair, or indeed a desirable character trait (particularly if you are going into the military), to criticise someone in such a manner (in a dismissive tone) merely from taking a different opinion. Tolerance, calm-headedness and respect are worthy attributes. Just my advice there.

Making great sacrifices is not something done exclusively in the military, ordinary citizens can be heroes too and can and do give their lives for others. As such it is unfair to presume a commentator you have never met has "never experienced sacrifice" purely because they might not have been in a military environment.

#10 741852963, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that he called his victims "savages" and gloated (probably lying, but the sentiment is still repulsive) about killing looters during Hurricaine Katrina and had a very dubiously justified kill record, I will steer away from any suggestion that the man was a hero.

Also, the film itself doesn't seem that good, even ignoring the problems with its premise. Definitively worthy of note is the doll substitute for a baby; it was quite a silly mistake to make. My friend showed me the scene on YouTube and it's so obviously plastic. Bonus points for the trite script and slightly awkard acting during that scene.

Even if you cut out the vulgar patriotism and the glorification of Kyle, it still doesn't seem to be a brilliant film from what I've heard and seen of it.

12. 741852963

Agreed, if he had made up the business re Katrina (likely) he would be a liar and a sick man indeed.

If he was telling the truth he would be a psychopathic murderer who should have been tried and locked up. You cannot just randomly shoot-to-kill thieves in the street, especially not in such a panicked environment as after a natural disaster when people lose their heads. It does make you question how many innocents he must have killed overseas if that is an indication of his moral code. Give he referred to the opposition as "savages" (dehumanising them) it doesn't bode well.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And Aussie and ##### reminded me why I was wary of the premise...think I best save my money.

14. SomeLeviathan

this movie glorifies War, a liar, and false narratives about the invasion of Iraq.

if I recall correctly, the movie starts with the sniper watching the world trade center towers fall, then cuts to him signing up for the Army and going to Iraq. The Invasion of Iraq had no real basis as a response to 9/11 and basically everyone agrees witht his, so I don't know how you can seriously say that this movie explores the reasons for invading Iraq when it perpetuates GOP chickenhawk propaganda.

if you want to see a well done film about the horrors of war and what it does to soldiers, watch Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now.

15. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought American Sniper was a good movie but it wasn't really a "Yeah MURICA!!" type of film. I felt the main point was to show the toll of taking so many lives, even if its for a supposedly good reason (that itself is the source of much debate), has on a person. Chris Kyle lost a lot of his humanity due to his job and only began to get a little of it back before his life was cut short.

As for the controversy, I think its a bit blown out of proportion. The film really isn't political. This is the type of movie where people project whatever they want onto it. It reminds me of the Zero Dark Thirty controversy a bit. That movie had a lot of complaints about being pro-torture, yet the movie itself really didn't seem to be trying to make any sort of political statement.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that is precisely the problem. Its attempt at neutrality ignored the realities of the war and of Kyle as a person. It was political by virtue of the absence of negative content; Kyle's racism and other motivations are largely brushed aside and he's turned into a tragic hero. The real man was not so traumatised as the character in the film - the real Kyle wrote with remarkably little regret and he possessed almost nothing but cold, decidedly unemotional detachment from what he did. Where he did show emotion about his career, it was full of bloodlust and what I see as terribly perverted pride. And that's not even taking the conflation of the September 11 attacks with the Iraq War into account.

The film failed to show that side of his character - and in doing so showed what they wanted to portray - a heroic image at the expense of a more holistic view. They ignored the brutality of the man and misrepresented both him and the war as a whole. That is political.

17. AlamoCity

All I will say is that Bradley Cooper was hot in that movie.

18. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm going to watch it today.

19. Psaurus918

Anyone that brags about killing hundreds? of people while calling them savages is more than likely psychotic. I feel most people with morals would feel at least some guilt about killing even 1 enemy during war not going around bragging.

Don't forget he also lied about punching Governor Ventura

20. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The movie was really great but there was way too much violence!