1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret Wars... Again.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Jan 22, 2015.

1. White Knight

Marvel getting ready to start this year's mega event Secret Wars.

If you are familiar with original Secret Wars, where an nearly omnipotent being called Beyonder collect heroes and villians on a planet and start some kind of death match between them, plot resembles it a bit.

Instead of heroes/villians this time realities/earths will collide and Marvel Universe will be reshaped... Even have teasers for re-married Peter and MJ. (!)

Some call it as Marvel's Crisis on Infinite Earth, in other words a tool to reset comic universe. Even after years Marvel still trying to catch up with New 52 it seems.

Also some rumors whisper they will kill off X-Men and Inhumans will be new mutants of the Marvel. Of course this is all because of Disney doesn't hold movie rights for X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Spider-man... They started replacement act with Guardians of the Galaxy which is kinda fills Fantastic Four's explorer shoes. Inhumans movie is down on the line but how they can fill the shoes of Wolverine, Magneto, Prof. X or Storm is a mystery for me.

Anyway here is a video for you to enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]3FQRDW3IaZ4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Marvel has always been terrible when it comes to killing people. They usually always come back, unless they were a no-name, or Uncle Ben. DC doesn't have this problem, which is why when somebody tends to die in DC, it means more.

As for the Secret Wars. It's been years since I've read it, but it was enjoyable. It brought us Venom, ushering in the era of anti-heroes. How I miss the 90s when it comes to comic books, even if they were milking the anti-hero concept a lot near the end.

As for this new one, I haven't read a comic book in quite some time, but every now and then, I'll skim a website to keep light tabs on events. If this allows Marvel to patch up some things and focus on quality material, so be it. But they need to quit killing people for shock value, only to bring them back, because it deludes their product.

Dr. Doom, Magneto, and Blink, are about all I care for in the Marvel Universe. Hulk and Phil Urich (I'd be surprised if anybody remembered him) are also some personal favorites of mine, especially the latter when he took on the mantle of the Green Goblin, becoming an anti-hero. Great mini-series, and something I highly suggest you check out, White Knight, if you can. It was only 13 issues.

3. White Knight

Umm which mini series was that? Not original Secret Wars I assume as I don't remember Green Goblin or Phil Urich(I vaugely remember him I remember his uncle and I think he became Hobgoblin). I only know Harry tried to be a good goblin but went wacko as usual...

Checking wiki suggest he was heroic goblin during Onslaught saga which I loved. However I mostly follow one shots, X-Titles and Fantastic Four.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, he wasn't involved in the original Secret Wars. I was just mentioning him, as being part of a very selective band of characters, that I still have an interest in when it comes to comic books.

I think you'd like the series. He's a lot more realistic than Peter Parker, because he's more of a slacker, has to learn the ropes, and doesn't possess ridiculous intelligence to "fix" his stuff. This is why his run as the Green Goblin was so short, because he couldn't keep up the maintenance.

5. Lazuri

Ahem, Jason Todd.

Anyways, that sounds interesting. I've been meaning to go more into Marvel lately.

6. White Knight

*cough* Batman *cough*

On top of that with very silly coming back story. :confused:

Oh and Superman... with quadruple come back.

and Barry Allen who came back and mega-screwed up DC universe.

Aaaaand whole Blackest Night with zombies and stuff...

Poor Beetle got the short end of the stick as DC insist on that new very annoying and nighly interesting new Blue Beetle.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

DC is slipping, then.

I haven't been too heavily invested in comics, for several years. I think the last time I was a dedicated follower, was back in 2002-ish. But if DC is starting down that crazy-and-lazy revival road, that is sad.

I'm still waiting for the day Uncle Ben is the Green Goblin. It's such a cliche trauma-inducing plot point, that Marvel has to do it.

8. Lazuri

It's not just DC or comics, even. Storytelling media in general have a giant phobia for giving characters permanent death. That's why Game of Thrones is so "shocking."