1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if someone you are a fan of turns out homo/transphobic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Quiet Raven, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Quiet Raven

Imagine a famous writer, actor, YouTuber, anyone you enjoy watching or whatever. You think they are very cool. But after several years of considering yourself a fan, they say LGBT people are "disgusting" or whatever. But this still doesn't show up in their work very much, or not at all. What would you do?

Would you stop experiencing this person's work? Or would you continue enjoying it anyway?

As for me, it depends on the situation. I think the only time I would consider stopping is if it is a YouTuber. Mostly because in those cases, I am usually just watching a person stand in front of a camera telling me their opinion on a game or something. In which case, I need to like the person to really enjoy watching and care about their opinion. More so then a writer or especially an actor. Where if the stories are good, I'll still enjoy them.

Actually, the reason I bring this up is because I watched a video from Screwattack where Craig, who I always thought was fun to listen to, basically said being transgender is the "most disgusting thing in the world". (On the subject of Poison from Final Fight) And now I just get a little annoyed whenever I see or hear him in a video. But I am staying subscribed because there is a lot more to the channel then just him.

If someone like... SomecallmeJohnny (just a guy who does game reviews) said something like that. I will probably be a lot more disappointed and there is a good chance I will unsubscribe.

Just curious about your thoughts.

2. Aro

Aro

I would be thoroughly disappointed. It's a touchy situation with me because on the one hand, I don't know them personally. I don't have to deal with them as a person and as long as they are not bringing their drama and their hate into their content or work, then I suppose that I would continue enjoying it. I don't have to like them to enjoy something they created. I am sure there were plenty of old artists who had very strong opinions I would disagree with; but it doesn't make me stand at the painting and go 'wow, I hate it'. Chances are, I probably wouldn't know about it.

I know it's a little different when it comes to videos and YouTube content. I tend to stay away from anyone who I know is openly against homosexuality and such. I don't excuse their actions even so, but I don't know. In real life, there are people that I know who are racist or transphobic. They are good people except for their terrible opinions. Particularly the older generation. I don't condone any of it, but besides that, they do good things, you know? It's a hard area to really discuss and draw a line at. I've often thought of it before.

It depends on the medium, I guess. For me, if it was a YouTuber or someone like that, I might stop watching them if it isn't a scripted show. I am someone who can take a joke, but when it's straight up horrible, it makes me feel really uncomfortable. I just don't like it when people choose to enjoy content and the person behind it isn't the best, and then the people who enjoy that content get slammed. I think people should be able to enjoy what they enjoy. I suppose it's also a matter of supporting that behavior; but my deal is that if they keep it out of their content (for example, saying something bad on their Twitter or personal account that I don't follow but it gets back to me somehow), then I am mostly okay with continuing to enjoy the content. Like I said, there have been countless huge twats over the ages that have made great things.

You can even look to some actors these days and people can still enjoy what they do, just not them as a person. And I think that's the way it should be. If we always boycotted the works of those with differing opinions, this world would be nowhere. No matter how awful their opinion is.

That's my views, anyways. Rambled a bit, but I hope it made sense.

3. Hatsune Miku

unless they spout their bullshit in their works I couldn't care less whether or not a person or company is anti-lgbt

e.g. Chick Fil-A supports homophobic organizations but I still eat there b/c they don't have anti-lgbt stuff all over their cups or anything. however if a vlogger I followed spouted anti-lgbt bullshit in their videos I would immediately unsubscribe b/c I don't want to listen to or watch that shit.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be really upset and like them less, plus I'd also stop reading/watching their stuff so much (probably not completely though, unless I can let go of my attachment pretty easily).

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. I'd try to understand why they think that way. Maybe they will grow up and get over their irrational hatred. I might stop giving the bastard my support and tell my friends that person is a jerk. That's the ideal outcome but I can't say I do much research on the creators of video games. Hell, I know more about artists such as Zdzisław Beksiński than game designers such as Hideo Kojima. Plus that knowledge is incredibly minimal. I'm more interested in the painting than the artist. Although I was kind of forced to research some when critiquing art at high school. It can help to understand what was going on in the artist's brain. I'm probably still going to appreciate the art for what it is but feel concerned about how other people might interpret my appreciation. At the end of the day, I want to spread more pro-LGBT vibes.

It's possible to find artistic merit or at least amusement within some emotionally immature music such as the early Thy Art Is Murder. The misogynistic lyrics lower my overall impression of the work and I'm going to mention it if I write a review. Right now I'm listening to rap music that's calling gay people faggots. It isn't the focal point of the music and I can't take it seriously. Like hell I'm playing this in public though.

There was some controversy about the Caterpillar company. I stopped buying their products. Although who knows how much child slavery I might be supporting with other brands. I'm also concerned about the possibility that one of my banks is investing in Russian arms dealers. But my mom says I should pay more attention to the world we actually live in.

I could hardly tell you anything about the authors of the books I read. I just want to examine the information itself. I don't read much fiction but I know Clive Barker is gay.

I guess you have to consider the pros and cons in light of the new information. I'd probably have to tell myself to hold back from telling the ignorant YouTuber how wrong they are... in the most polite way I can.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I will no longer be their fan. Especially if they are transphobic.

7. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, damn. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of my favorite musicians were. I mean, it's one thing if it was an opinion, but if they had some sort of agenda with their beliefs like political or other bigoted agendas then my tune would change.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A thought just occurred. I wouldn't be surprised if many knife reviews are done by homophobes. But they almost never talk about anything LGBT, so it doesn't really bother me. I don't follow anyone in particular. I simply watch the results of what I've searched.

Although I might disagree on some other things as well when the guy says "It's no camping knife."

And since most of them work without a script, I can pick up on slight hesitations that MIGHT clue me in to the way somebody thinks such as "For the most part I know them (manufacturer) for their bags." *awkward pause*

9. RemakeJake

I would be done with them entirely. I used to be a fan of a Swedish singer named Måns Zelmerlöw, but after he said a few things about how homosexuality 'isn't natural' (which is extra shocking considering the fact that Sweden may very well be the most gay-friendly country in the entire world - I'm proud of that fact), I deleted every song of his and do not support him in any way.

10. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would really depend on the media. Like many have already said, if it were something like youtube where a poster that I really enjoyed listening to were to spout all kinds of homophobic rants then I'd probably stop watching their videos. For books and movies its different. The author/creator's opinions are one thing, but if I really enjoy their works then I try not to let any of that bother me and I keep on reading/watching.

A good example is Orson Scott Card, the author of the Ender's Game series of novels. Card has been very publicly against the LGBTQ community and gay marriage, but because I enjoy his books I don't let that bother me and keep reading them. If he were to start peppering his stories with obvious anti-gay sentiments, then I'd stop reading them.

11. CyanChachki

I wouldn't stick around. I have absolutely zero tolerance for homophobic/transphobic people.

12. Destiel

I'd probably stop watching/listening/ or fangirling over them. I don't wan to endorse a person who can create an unsafe environment for the LGBT community. Also, I dont want to watch someone who thinks I'm immoral or what I am as a person is wrong.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends.

I think there is strategic value in "keeping tabs" on those who could be your enemies, just so you know what they're doing and, possibly, thinking. I'm not a fan of being blindsided by somebody; but that's just me.

14. White Knight

I would give same reaction I would give to anyone who is racist, xenophobic, hate animals/nature, religions/religious people... I'd stop watching/reading/listening their works and mention their hate whenever their name come up in a conversation.

This is why I stopped watching Latter Days... I saw some hateful things one of the leads (the blonde one, playing mormon boy) said on the net. Movie was good, still count is as good but not that man... he is just a sorry excuse for a human.

15. antibinary

I'm a fan of Jennifer Laurence but I recently found out that she's a biphobic, transphobic twat. I've no idea what to do.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

normally when someones a hateful piece of trash I can sense that pretty quickly. There's been a couple times ive been caught off guard but it doesnt happen often. what im referring to here is basically some members of my extended family who turned out to be huge douchebags though alot went on behind closed doors so I just found out a couple years ago. It wasnt anyone I was particularly close to anyway so this didnt matter much.

For artists I wouldnt watch, listen to or support anyone who's openly homophobic. my reason for this is that artists are people I look to for inspiration. when I look at art I want to feel a connection with the artist and identify with them on some level in order to fully appreciate their work. However if I found out they hate me and many of the things I stand for then the connection is shattered. im not going to tolerate or excuse people's stupid opinions about things they're wrong about whether their talented or not.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends if their work is good enough for me to give up my convictions, and also how bad it is. How vocal they are about it matters too. I guess it's a case by case thing. Not sure at what threshold I would stop enjoying their work. In general, I am a very "principle" person and I try not to support companies or individuals, financially mostly, who would I feel are against me or do things I disagree with.

18. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would feel very disappointed, but I wouldn't immediately shun them or start burning their records or whatever. It would depend on the extent of their homophobia. For the most part, I can separate the man from the art. Richard Wagner was an outspoken anti-Semite, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy his operas. His music is beautiful. Just because he wasn't such a great person doesn't mean I can't like his music.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then I should probably stop reading old novels? I mean, back then people were way more homophobic, let alone transphobic...

No, I don't think I would give up on their work, unless they were actively trying to do something against LGBT, then I would stop supporting their work financially.

I value artists and the rest based on their works, not their opinions or image. I think Morrisey goes too far with his vegan views, but I still adore his music.