1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fruitvale Station

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SohoDreamer, Mar 2, 2015.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Has anyone seen this film? I watched it a few nights ago and it has stuck with me ever since.

Fruitvale Station tells the true story of Oscar Grant, a father, boyfriend, brother, son, friend who was murdered on New Years 2009 by a police officer. The horrific injustice is that police officer apparently only did 11 months in prison. After an entire film spent in Oscar's company (player by the magnificent Michael B Jordan), I was outraged when I learnt what this officers punishment was for killing another human being.

The film itself is both a lament of his death and a celebration of his life and it is told beautifully. It's not a long film but there are a lot of people who belong in Oscar's busy life and the way he deals with each one of them shows his charismatic and personable nature at work. The cinematography is dreamlike as it follows him around on his final day, unbeknownst to him. There is a tragic element to this but the story maintains a heart-warming feeling and it is never overly morbid or emotionally manipulative. Each feeling comes authentically and by the end, one feels the anger and sadness of Oscar's loved ones as if it is tangible due to the intelligent storytelling.

A stunning film which I highly recommend people check out.

I'm not spoiling by the way as the film does open with his murder and it's absolutely based in facts.