1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divergent

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rainbow Girl, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Rainbow Girl

I finished reading the second Divergent book, Insurgent, about a week ago and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the last one yet but I will some time. Has anyone else here read any of the books? I was wondering if anyone else saw parallels between being a Divergent and LGBTQ+? The idea that they're discriminated against and judged for not being like everyone else, never feel like they belong anywhere, and have to hide themselves from others. Just a thought I had. Anyone else see it?

Also,
    There is an actual LGBTQ character in the series. Right before Lynn dies at the end of Insurgent, she confesses that she was in love with Marlene, implying that she's gay or bisexual. At first I wondered if I was reading too much into it but I looked it up and that's what it was suppose to mean.

Anyways any other fans here?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say I'm a fan, as their whole "dystopian future ordered into distinct groups" idea is quite similar to The Hunger Games. But I did enjoy the Divergent movie, primarily because it centers around Tris making a really hard choice and facing huge challenges constantly. It feels a little like my life once I got involved in law enforcement, because you have to be pretty dauntless. :wink:

3. antibinary

I never paid attention to Marlene but... OMG A QUEER CHARACTER THAT HAS A STORY NOT CENTERED AROUND BEING QUEER IT'S A MIRICAL!!!

4. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just finished the book today, and also started the 2nd one. I can't wait until insurgent comes out. It looks so good. :slight_smile:

5. Stripe101

Only read the first one. Didn't care for it. The young adult dystopian future genre is too specific to be over saturated and yet it is.

God dammit, Hunger Games.

6. MrSkittles

Read all the books,saw the movie and going to see Insurgent This month Amazing Series

7. neecee

neecee Guest

hmmm, I never really thought of it that way but I can see what you mean.

I don't consider it a spoiler, but in the 3rd book you meet two new main characters and it's implied that they're in a relationship :grin:
    I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that the author Veronica Roth confirmed it was canon...

8. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually just watched the movie a week ago, and thought this! Really though, you seem to describe the factionless rather than the Divergent though. The factionless are the ones unwanted by society, the ones that have a larger population than thought of, that tend to be shunned by the factions. Two sides of a coin really. At the same time, parents never speak to the divergent if said divergent moves to a different faction, coming out if you will.

Spoiler: There's a gay couple in Allegiant! and one of them's asian!!!!!!!

9. Rainbow Girl

This really makes me want to read Allegiant. :slight_smile: I have to finish my five million other books that I signed out of the library first. I'll probably read it this summer (with a big box of tissues, I spoiled the ending for myself).

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am reading the first book and I can definitely see the parallels.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw insurgent which is divergent 2. It was epic!

12. neecee

neecee Guest

I was so lucky I didn't get the ending spoiled for me even with how long it's been out, but oh my gosh did I cry a river. I've never felt so heartbroken over a book character before, I couldn't believe it.