1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Eurovision 2015 entry released...oh dear!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Mar 8, 2015.

1. 741852963

Well youtube has informed me that the UK Eurovision entrant has been announced...and it is unbelievably corny:

[YOUTUBE]s6r1tUhl1cQ[/YOUTUBE]

Now I love a bit of electro-swing but I've now discovered there is a line! :lol: It sounds like a mashup of Doop and Cotton Eye Joe.

Also, is that...Moriarty? (just kidding).

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Haha well it could be worse I suppose..... It is slightly catchy but it doesnt really matter how good the song might be in the European Political contest. Lets hope Ireland and Malta still love us so we dont finish last, their the only ones who seem to ever give us the most points.

3. Lazuri

I feel like UK has a habit of just sending the most outrageous entries they can come up with since they don't have to go through the semi-finals.

4. Section18

Section18 Guest

Well it is a shit song, but it doesn't matter, we never win.

5. Lazuri

Because you keep sending shit songs.

6. Section18

Section18 Guest

Nope, it's political. It doesn't matter if we send a masterpiece, we still won't win.

7. Images and Words

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at least it rhymes. :lol:

Yeah, and unfortunately, the contest has become politicized to the point where for some countries winning has become quite the hurdle.

9. Lazuri

Were that true, the same countries would generally win each year.

Sure, there's a lot of politics involved--like how we pretty much always gets a twelve from the other Scandinavian countries--and if there are slim pickings that year, one of the bigger countries will always win, but if there is a good song, it wins regardless due to a significant amount of low point votes rather than the large point votes. Otherwise, countries like Azerbaijan would never win.

Basically, they stopped competing about the high score votes and are competing for the low point scores instead.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

The Political voting does play a big part but the winner is usually the one that really stands out, especially with the Austrian one last year and this Finnish band which obviously won because of the monster costumes.

[YOUTUBE]XJGiZrJG24o[/YOUTUBE]

11. Lazuri

Stage number is a large part of the show, so yeah.

My point still stands about the political voting. If it was all political, the same couple of countries would win, but after 1999--where we won--it took 13 years until a winner repeated itself--which was us again--and there's a really good spread of winners during that period. There was a lot more repeated winners in the early period of the contest.

12. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I expected much more from the UK. The last year the UK sent a really good song and I voted for it.

By the way, the UK was the first country to get a 26th position in the final in 2003. Will this country be the first one to get a 27th position? :lol:

13. 741852963

Its not all political, but there is a strong political element involved.

In summary I'd say this: the politics doesn't necessarily determine the winners, but it certainly determines the losers.

The inevitable neighbor votes tend to help prevent certain countries being at the bottom, those who do not receive such votes face an uphill battle. Aside from Ireland, the UK doesn't have any guaranteed votes from geographical neighbors, and their perhaps controversial stance in EU issues (or auto entry into the eurovision final!) might distance them from other states in spirit. As such its always going to be difficult for them to win or even be competitive.

I think its two-fold:

1. In part its sheer desperation - sending a real variety of acts out that they think Europe will like based on previous winners (but naturally failing miserably). European music taste is probably quite different to British music taste (the latter being more influenced by the US these days) and so a lot of it is probably guesswork and imitation of what a Eurovision act should be.

2. The other side to it is typical British humor. As a country we like when things go terribly wrong, and anything trashy and campy (its probably the biggest reason we like the Eurovision). I think as a country we prefer to send out stupid and hilariously bad acts to serious decent ballards (plus over the last few years the latter hasn't been successful!).

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say they might have a bit of a chance this year, depending on how they'll do it on stage. =)

The recent entries of the UK were, in my opinion very dull. This one is more interesting, even if it is quite corny. At least it's not too dull. :lol: So, I'd say, a bit of a chance.

15. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was awful

16. 741852963

Haha, that it does! Especially the painfully constructed line:

"You're bound to get sneezes, or nasty diseases".

Is he...is he calling her a slut? :lol:

And I absolutely love this:

Listen: UK’s Eurovision entry compared to vintage waffle ad · PinkNews

Mmmmm, potato waffles. Wait, where was I? That's right, I'm loving this entrant more and more, its providing right value for money in the comedy stakes! The twitter comments are funny.

17. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    we should get banned after this one am not even sure if it will reach the final stage.

18. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard some people (including my friends) say they love the song. I'm not convinced... though I do like the part when goes sort of crazy towards the end. Maybe if the whole song was like that?

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all a bit of fun really, and I think in the UK we tend to take it less seriously because we have nothing to prove. We're by far the largest exporter of music in Europe and probably the most exposed country in the world bar the U S. Let Azerbaijan and Romania have their time in the limelight.

20. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if you have nothing to prove in music, it good be great to see one of your big artists in the Eurovision Song Contest. I mean artists who are succesful nowadays. Of course most of them wouldn't like to expose to get a bad result. However, the ESC is a great opportunity to show their music to the rest of Europe and other parts of the world.