1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain as an Illusion?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Perhaps, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Perhaps

I need some assistance with an idea. I am trying to figure out how Rain can cause illusions for people. I feel like I've heard/seen it before... But it escapes me. Do any of you have an idea of how it works, if it does?

2. Hizaki

I don't quite follow... Do you mean optical illusions? The same way, for example, that extreme heat can litter the distance with "pools of water"?

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know those weird ass days when rain falls, but the sun is still out? Maybe the light passes through the water and creates mirages or something. Like a rainbow. Or something.

4. Perhaps

Hm... Like... When you're stuck in the middle of the rain, and you start seeing things.

No... I don't remember it being when the sun is still out. It's during the rain I think. At least, that's how I remembered it. Please forgive me if I didn't explain it well enough.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, that's what I meant. The sun can be out, but it can still be raining at the same time.

You explained it well enough, I was just taking a wild guess, haha.

Have you tried using a search engine yet? And where exactly did you hear this idea from? Is it actually based on facts or was it fictional? It sounds interesting. =0

6. Hizaki

So you mean a specific thing, then? Like, seeing people in the distance during rainy days, only for them to swiftly disappear (for example)?

7. Perhaps

Hm... I can't remember it too well. I just remember it being complete darkness and just raining.

I've tried searching it up, but no dice. It keeps only bringing up optical illusions and stuff unrelated to what I'm looking for sadly. And I don't remember the source. This was something I just recently remembered. Where I got it from... I'm not too sure. :icon_sad:

Yes. Something like that. Like a Mirage in a desert. But, this time it's with rain. That sounds like the closest thing to it.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe it has something to do with it being... well, dark and rainy.

I think darkness can cause hallucinations. There's science behind it, but I can't exactly remember what happens. That coupled with rain (which can be seen as disoriented) can make people see things. Possibly?

It may not even be related to rain at all. Maybe it was the person hallucinating and it simply happened to be raining at the time.

9. Hizaki

Shadows are something that people seem to forget about in the dark. Could've been that. I'm still quite confused as to what you're looking for, but it sounds dramatic so... I'm definitely intrigued

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than the fact that it can make for shimmery surfaces (that can appear to be other things) if it runs off smoothly, I can't imagine rain causing anything like mirages or hallucinations.

But I have been discussing writing horror a lot lately, and this opens up an entirely new world for supernatural creatures who only come out in torrential rain. o.0

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe someone who for some reson when he or she hears the rain, triggers hallucinations. It could be something in the brain.
    Anyways, it could be age dependent. I've read that the adult brain is not able to process some frequencies that teenagers perceive.They even built a device to "scare them".