1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ Films I could watch with my UU church

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Queero, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Queero

Hello and thank you to anyone who reads and responds to this.

I'm part of a UU church, and the church is wanting to have a night where they watch an LGBTQ film. This could either be a documentary, or a more realistic movie.

I told them I could help come up with suggestions.

I do want to keep it appropriate though.

I have already suggested The Celluloid Closet as one we could watch.

Does anyone have any good LGBTQ movies that I could suggest to watch with my church? If so, could you please summarize the film in your response?

Thank You again!

2. MessieM

Life partners: It's a bit of a girly one if I'm honest lol, it's about A straight girl and A gay girl being BFF's… but it's totally pg

Pride: Can be a bit rude (but no sex scenes just swearing) about British pride in the 1980's and their relationship with the mining community- is the best film i have ever, ever watched is so funny… and my slightly homophobic dad cried with happiness at it, so it's got to be a good one! I in fact watched it in a cinema, sitting next to three old ladies who found it hilarious!

Kissing Jessica Stein: is sweet… but really is about a straight girl who out of loneliness and in denial of her unadventurous past has a relationship with a bicurious women. But would be a good way to introduce them with the most heterosexualised gay film ever.

The Imitation Game- haven't actually watched this one, and i think it's more about the second world war, but the main character is gay… and it's a true story!! Look on imdb to see if it's got sex scenes in.

That's a few options… but i recommend pride most definitely. I've never watched the celluloid closet… thanks for the suggestion! Or maybe… cinema trip to see the next eddie redmayne film where he plays a transwoman!!!! So excited

3. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No sex scenes in The Imitation Game. Some people complained about that, but they would have needed to do the film a bit differently for a sex scene to fit in, structurally.

Though his homosexuality is a key part of the story.

4. Queero

Thank you! MessieM, the committee had mentioned the movie Pride, I have not seen it. I wanted to give them other ideas as well. Thank You for your responses.

And thanks CuriousLiaison for your reply as well.

Much appreciated.

Swearing is fine I just did not want anything too explicit, with violence or sex. As I will likely watch this along with the other highschoolers and the adults. The church is very accepting and loving, we are going to likely watch this movie (whatever one we end up choosing) and discussing social activism/social issues. We are working on becoming an official 'welcoming congregation'.

5. guitar

My go-to film is always Prayers for Bobby. It tugs at the heartstrings, and it lets people know just what bullying and non-acceptance of LGBT people can do. But it finishes with a message of hope and support for the LGBT community.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Prayers for bobby.

7. Hiems

Prayers for Bobby is pretty good. Bridegroom is also good as well. Both of them are tearjerkers... bring lots of tissue boxes for them :l

If you want something that is more fun, then you could go for The Wedding Banquet. There are kissing scenes between gay guys but it's not even that long. Otherwise it's quite funny and people will probably like it :slight_smile:

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prayers for Bobby and Bridegroom are both pretty good films. Milk is also a classic.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please don't watch Kissing Jessica Stein. It's not even a lesbian-themed movie and it perpetuates the stereotype that all bi or curious women end up with men. I agree with Prayers For Bobby and Bridegroom though. The Celluloid Closet is awesome too.

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

WATCH BRIDEGROOM! I cried so much :tears: it's so incredibly sad :frowning2: but yes it's a very nice movie which is simply beautiful it's a documentary :slight_smile:

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Small Town Gay Bar This movies focuses a lot on the southern United States and what it is like to have a gay bar in a small town. It follows the lives of the bar, the bar owners, patrons and the town. It also focuses on the positives and negatives of having a gay bar in a small town.

Fagbug A gay woman has the word fag spray painted on her beetle. Instead of simply cleaning it off, she turns it into a social issues and drives around the United States to spread awareness of issues the LGBT population has to face, including homophobia that she deals with because her car has the word fag on it. (I know rough language but the title of the movie has the word in it)

12. White Knight

Prayers for Bobby is a good choice.

I am not keen on what is UU church but at least it is a church and Prayers for Bobby can give a good example of churcs hostile to the LGBT community. Prayers for Bobby based on a real life story, has very good acting and strong moments. However it is a BIG tear jerker wheter you are LGBT or not.

[YOUTUBE]sSee8On2lEQ[/YOUTUBE]

If you want to have more funny movie Birdcage and In & Out are nice movies to watch. No sex scenes other than a kiss or two here and there.

Birdcage deals with a gay couple and tries to show they are not your everyday parents but they are parents in the end who are willing to do anything for their child. As it stars late Robin Williams, it have a nostalgic touch to it as well.

[YOUTUBE]P7FcPlt8hHc[/YOUTUBE]

In & Out is very funny movie about a man who realize he is gay later in life. Plays heavily on stereotypes to provide fun factor but I like its message.

[YOUTUBE]fxD7Ty5ZhQE[/YOUTUBE]

13. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT Documentaries are really good choices. They are educational and also are very thought provoking. So far the best one is For The Bible Tells Me So... I keep bringing up the name because it really is a very good film

14. Queero

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Prayers for Bobby is most definitely going on the list.

Here is the list so far, I haven't watched all of these, so if anyone could tell me if some of these would not be the best, or if they would not be appropriate?

Celluloid Closet,(Documentary, I have seen.)

American Transgender (documentary, I have seen)

VITO,(?)

Stonewall: the making of a gay and lesbian community (Doc.)

For The Bible Tells Me So (Doc. I have seen)

Prayers For Bobby

Philadelphia (Dramatic Film, I have seen)

Boys Don't Cry (Dramatic Film)

Milk

Pride

Bridegroom,

Fagbug (I can't find it near me though)

Thank You again for all the suggestions.