1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Davey, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Davey

WOW!
    i'm surprised at how good this book is.
    once you get through the letters and the first few chapters its so easy to follow and the story isn't actually that bad. I'm not done yet though reading it for class but we are about half way through. This is the first non-contemporary book I have actually read...well except those two chapters but I was on a time crunch!

I recommend you at least try to read the book.

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To this day, it depresses me to be reminded of how many people still think the monster is named Frankenstein and that he was created by a film company.

3. Davey

i was happy to be one of two people in my class that knew Frankenstein was not the monster and in fact the Doctor. We got bonus points! hehe

4. Amy

Amy

GRRR!!! I haven't been able to read it yet! I have my own copy and its sitting there staring at me in the middle of my pile in between Poe's short stories and poetry and The Handmaiden's Tale.

Half of the senoirs in AP English are reading it right now, and its depressing alot of them. They just read Sophie's World, so its a bit of a change.

When we studied Enlightenment thinkers, our teacher asked us if we knew who Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was, and I didn't figure it out until he said Mary Shelley. I actually jumped in my chair when he said Mary Shelley. I felt like such a nerd...

It is disgusting..

5. revolutionrock

Loved this book! One of the few classics I've read that Ive truly felt deserves the title. :slight_smile:

It's very powerful. And an interesting connection to this forum, actually - could we all be a product of our environments and upbringings, like the monster?

Interesting to think about.

:slight_smile:

6. Amy

Amy

^ Here is Amy's opinion... ^

We are born/made who we are, but how we are raised affects how comfortable we are with expressing --or not expressing-- it.